Dickel/Leopold Bros. Three Chamber Blended Rye

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have one open now, it’s not bad but definitely a little pricey. I wouldn’t buy a second one, but not upset that I bought it. 

• I like it 1

The Leopold Three Chamber Still Rye is of interest to me as it is an attempt to recreate an historic style of rye made in this country before prohibition that never returned after prohibition. I don't see much point in mixing it with Dickel even if it is their own rye and not MGP rye. Would much rather try (a well aged) Dickel made rye on its own if I was going to try it at all.

I have a couple of bottles of the initial BIB release of the Leopold Three Chamber Still Rye (You think the Dickel Collaboration one was expensive! The Leopold bottle is very spendy) but haven't yet opened it as I have been waiting for a time with a few others of the right sort of mindset/experience to share it with.

• I like it 3

• 1 month later...

super interesting video but id watch it on 1.5x speed 

scooped the dickel/leopold collab, but havent popped it yet.

On 12/26/2021 at 5:00 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

The Leopold Three Chamber Still Rye is of interest to me as it is an attempt to recreate an historic style of rye made in this country before prohibition that never returned after prohibition. I don't see much point in mixing it with Dickel even if it is their own rye and not MGP rye. Would much rather try (a well aged) Dickel made rye on its own if I was going to try it at all.

I have a couple of bottles of the initial BIB release of the Leopold Three Chamber Still Rye (You think the Dickel Collaboration one was expensive! The Leopold bottle is very spendy) but haven't yet opened it as I have been waiting for a time with a few others of the right sort of mindset/experience to share it with.

I was looking forward to this one as well for the very reasons you state, then it was released and I saw the price!! Hoping  after some time passes and they have recouped a bit of the investment ( at that rate they may already be in the black!!) perhaps it will fall to a range that I can justify, at least I hope so as it is one of the more interesting whiskey released in recent times.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2022 at 8:56 PM, kcgumbohead said:

I was looking forward to this one as well for the very reasons you state, then it was released and I saw the price!! Hoping  after some time passes and they have recouped a bit of the investment ( at that rate they may already be in the black!!) perhaps it will fall to a range that I can justify, at least I hope so as it is one of the more interesting whiskey released in recent times.

I bought one and paid around $150.00 for it. 

It was one of the few "impulse" buys that I've made for a long time, but I really, really wanted to try it.   Mrs. Skinsfan and I love Dickel rye, but  I'm a very cheap bastard, so this was out of character for me.  I rarely buy without trying, but I don't believe that there are too many places that have open bottles of this whiskey. 

I've had two pours, both of them after setting in the glass for 15+ minutes.  If the  "Flinstone vitamin" note is off-putting, then avoid this whiskey.   It wasn't overwhelming, but it's hovering in the background.   

I also feel that the "heavy bodied rye" description is not accurate.   It's  more delicate than our "go-to" ryes, (KC, WT101)    While it's no lightweight, I feel that there are definitely heavier bodied ryes out there, and for less $$.

That being said......I like it a lot.   Mrs. Skinsfan likes it a lot.   Neither one of us likes it enough to spend another $150.00, but I'd pull the trigger if I saw one for $100.00.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.