I was gifted a Decanter

LvR Mike
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I'm not a decanter guy. At all. But I got one for Christmas and now I feel slightly obligated to using it. Does anyone have any experience in using decanters? I have some random questions.

Does it change the overall experience of the whiskey?

Does it alter smell?

Does it change the taste?

Does the juice degrade any faster being in this new bottle?

If I keep putting in the same whiskey in it, should I clean it between refilling it or just continue to pour some more in?

Would this be the replaceable daily sipper or your Friday night pour?

Or should I just start my first infinity bottle and see what happens?

Anything helps. Thanks.

Any other info Mike?  Purely speculation here, but if it was made fairly recently, lead shouldn’t be a problem. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I’m in the same boat with a new decanter, and I’m using it (as stated in your final option) as an infinity bottle. 

• I like it 3

I was gifted one a few Christmases ago.

I only use it over Christmas and fill it with something that'll get finished during that time, so something easy sipping, it makes offering a pour a bit more eventful. 

20211208_234556.jpg

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I’m in the same boat with a new decanter, and I’m using it (as stated in your final option) as an infinity bottle. 

I have been gifted several nice ones over the last 5 years, and I use them all for infinty bottles.   Nice story and nice blends too!

I keep forgetting to write down what goes in them!

• I like it 2

I was gifted one last year with my last name on it.  It now holds WT101, sits on my bar and I refill it whenever it gets about halfway done.  So I guess it is a WT101 infinity bottle of sorts. . . 

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, beasled said:

I was gifted one a few Christmases ago.

I only use it over Christmas and fill it with something that'll get finished during that time, so something easy sipping, it makes offering a pour a bit more eventful. 

20211208_234556.jpg

Kudos on the BenRiach Glass. Love that whiskey

• I like it 3

FWIW, I received a decanter for Xmas last year that I used until I broke it. 😖 I had one of my many Weller’s in it. When it was empty, I went to rinse it out and It slipped out of my hand. I caught it, but the sudden movement broke the ship inside it. I still use it though. Water and the right mix of food coloring makes it look like there’s whiskey in it.  😉

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.93e13d12d7d92d074bdaa69896b41308.jpeg

• I like it 3

Like others,  I use decanters for infinity bottles,  usually to try to "save" a flawed whiskey I paid too much for.   I currently have three of 'em:

- a bourbon infinity bottle that I've concocted to perfection and am currently drinking down as-is - it's as fine a pour as anything on my bar.

-  a rum infinity bottle that is likewise just where I want it

- a second bourbon infinity bottle that's likely beyond saving;  I am on the verge of pouring it down the drain

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

Kudos on the BenRiach Glass. Love that whiskey

I was a bigger fan before they sold out to Brown-Forman, frankly. Their single cask releases were legendary. Not so much now. Time will tell I guess.. 

• I like it 1

This thread inspired me to start a new infinity bottle.     I started with a Laws Whiskey House bottle as the decanter,  unwashed with the last ounce of Laws Four Grain to christen it.   Next added was 1.5 ounces of Ezra Single Barrel (Distiller's Collection) and 3 ounces of Noah's Mill.    So far, so good,  but not there yet.   I'm thinking of adding 2 -3 ounces of Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star,  a 15- year old dusty.     The proof and mouthfeel so far are good,  but the Willett-distillate NM is a weak batch.      

• I like it 2

On 12/28/2021 at 11:48 PM, LvR Mike said:

So I'm not a decanter guy. At all. But I got one for Christmas and now I feel slightly obligated to using it. Does anyone have any experience in using decanters? I have some random questions.

Does it change the overall experience of the whiskey?  [i] sure,  you get to design it [/i]

Does it alter smell?  

Does it change the taste?

Does the juice degrade any faster being in this new bottle?

If I keep putting in the same whiskey in it, should I clean it between refilling it or just continue to pour some more in?

Would this be the replaceable daily sipper or your Friday night pour?

Or should I just start my first infinity bottle and see what happens?

Anything helps. Thanks.

There are different ways to go about it.    I've usually started with a flawed whiskey,   maybe half or so left in the bottle,  and kept adding things to "improve" it.   

The new one I'm building from the ground up,  with an eye to creating a good pour better than the sum of its parts.    So far, it's met that standard.    

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

86C31054-E653-4E67-BF3E-4EC50E405C93.jpeg

That doesn't look like lead containing crystal to me either.  I believe it's regular glass - so no worries about lead leeching into the contents.

The stopper has a plastic seal.  I imagine it closes as securely as the top on a regular bottle.  The main thing that cause whiskey to go stale is air getting into it from an insecure leaky top, or low fill level for a long time.  It's a chemical reaction with oxygen.

I would wash it thoroughly before using, at least the first time.

The times I've ever decanted anything was to empty the contents of a 1.75L bottle into several smaller bottles.  That way I was able to save some for later - small full bottle rather than a jug with only a couple inches.  If I ever buy a plastic jug, like Ancient Age, I would decant into glass bottles.

I will add, the most important piece of advice - definitely get yourself a funnel.

• I like it 3

On 12/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, I received a decanter for Xmas last year that I used until I broke it. 😖 I had one of my many Weller’s in it. When it was empty, I went to rinse it out and It slipped out of my hand. I caught it, but the sudden movement broke the ship inside it. I still use it though. Water and the right mix of food coloring makes it look like there’s whiskey in it.  😉

Biba! Joe

Cool decanter!  Special Olympics bowling pin?  Pretty cool too!

• I like it 1

On 12/29/2021 at 5:19 PM, Jazzhead said:

Like others,  I use decanters for infinity bottles,  usually to try to "save" a flawed whiskey I paid too much for.   I currently have three of 'em:

- a bourbon infinity bottle that I've concocted to perfection and am currently drinking down as-is - it's as fine a pour as anything on my bar.

-  a rum infinity bottle that is likewise just where I want it

- a second bourbon infinity bottle that's likely beyond saving;  I am on the verge of pouring it down the drain

It seems like a lot of us get decanters as gifts.  It seems like my employer gives out a lot of alcohol-related glassware...decanters, rocks glasses, wine glasses, beer steins...as rewards.  They are usually commemorative glassware with a milestone engraved on them.  One day, I hope to get one filled with bourbon.  One of our divisions even purchased a barrel of WR and had special engraving.  Hmmm....this reminds me.  I need to discuss this with my division management.  Maybe I could be on the selection team but we could opt for something else.   

Anyway, the idea of an infinity bottles is the best option.  As @Jazzhead points out this is a great option to try to save flawed whiskey.  We have all been there.  A decanter is always a better option than the drain.

25 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Cool decanter!  Special Olympics bowling pin?  Pretty cool too!

Thanks mbroo. Yes, there’s a Special Olympics bowing pin on my cabinet. Y’all know about my Minions, Christmas Story and Peanuts paraphernalia. I also keep my Special Olympics mementos there too. 🙂

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Thanks mbroo. Yes, there’s a Special Olympics bowing pin on my cabinet. Y’all know about my Minions, Christmas Story and Peanuts paraphernalia. I also keep my Special Olympics mementos there too. 🙂

Biba! Joe

Thanks goes to you my friend!  Well, earned.  And, I bet much appreciated by your Olympians.  

• I like it 1

On 12/29/2021 at 11:37 PM, Jazzhead said:

This thread inspired me to start a new infinity bottle.     I started with a Laws Whiskey House bottle as the decanter,  unwashed with the last ounce of Laws Four Grain to christen it.   Next added was 1.5 ounces of Ezra Single Barrel (Distiller's Collection) and 3 ounces of Noah's Mill.    So far, so good,  but not there yet.   I'm thinking of adding 2 -3 ounces of Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star,  a 15- year old dusty.     The proof and mouthfeel so far are good,  but the Willett-distillate NM is a weak batch.      

The dusty AAA didn't test well in the blend,  but 4 ounces of George Remus have added a fruity contrast to the attic-y  NM.   The new bottle's now about one third full, and in a good place.   Next up, though,  will need to be something that's cask strength to up the overall proof.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, beasled said:

I was a bigger fan before they sold out to Brown-Forman, frankly. Their single cask releases were legendary. Not so much now. Time will tell I guess.. 

I thought the Smoky 12 was definitely one of the best whiskies I tried in 2021

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Old Hippie said:

I thought the Smoky 12 was definitely one of the best whiskies I tried in 2021

I tried the non-Smoky 12 and that was very drinkable! I just think they might have lost some of their personality with the takeover and rebranding, and pricing of their single cask stuff seems to have gone up 30-40% in recent years. 

On 12/29/2021 at 11:54 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Arrrrrrrrrrrr matey!  Now she be in Davey Jones' locker.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.