Bourbon Year End 2021 - State of the State.

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/31/2021 at 11:07 AM, sbsbsb said:

Great write up overall, thanks for doing this!  I quoted the WT section above, as I believe I'm the one who pointed out the potential reason we're seeing a shift/decline in the profile of several products.  It's not just a new still, it's a completely new distillery!  New still, still house, fermenting tanks, you name it.  This has to be responsible for the shift, and I don't think the distillate will ever quite get back to the profile as that produced from the original distillery dating back t the 1930's.  Hope I'm wrong, though.

Quite sad for someone who just started giving WT a try. Loved the stuff I found but now I'll be hesitant, again, moving forward.

13 hours ago, flahute said:

Yeah, I'm getting nervous about this. I have to trust that Eddie will maintain quality but it might be bumpy for a bit.

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

When was the new distillery brought on line?  

@flahute I'm nervous about it too.  Total confidence in Eddie to maintain quality, and improve things if they need improving, but he simply may not be able to replicate the old distillate.  

@mbroo5880i New distillery was up and running in 2011, though not sure they were cranking out significant capacity until and humming along until 2012.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I visited the Bardstown Bourbon Company and had a pretty informative conversation with the Master Distiller.

He told me that their own Bourbon will be ready to bottle as of Q4 of 2021 but because that wasn't an ideal time of year to release something new that they were waiting for Q1 of 2022. I hope to see them on shelves as soon as possible.

Moving forward, they plan on continuing the Discovery Series but discontinuing the Fusion Series as they were only doing it until their own juices were mature enough to be bottled on their own.

Talking to the Assistant Master Distiller, he wanted to add a wheated bourbon to the lineup. They were just going through making the distillate when I was there (March 2021) so it may not be available for about 4 years or so but I'm excited to see how it comes out.

For what it's worth, I asked them what their favorite wheated bourbon is now and they both said Weller 12.

I spent a fair amount of time with the folks at BBC this past year as an Association (Former Judges) of which I am an officer held our annual meeting there in late August.  Besides great hospitality and food, we got to spend a fair amount of time with Steve Nally, their Master Distiller, as he led a tasting for our group and then an extensive Q&A session.  If one is familiar with the progression of the Fusion series it is not surprising to hear that it may go away.  Each new release seems to contain more and more of BBC's own product and less of older, sourced bourbon.  Their latest Fusion release, #6 is just the latest example and happens to be a very nice bourbon blend.  I do hope the Discovery series survives for at least awhile longer, as it continues to be exceptional with each subsequent release.  Regardless, I do expect the inevitable releases of BBC's own bourbon products to be of outstandingly good quality.  The folks at BBC, imho, clearly know what they are doing.

IMG_3873.jpg

• I like it 6

On 1/1/2022 at 12:16 AM, Jazzhead said:

Happy New Year, SBers, and thanks, @flahute !

What I think can be said about Kentucky bourbon in 2021 is that all of the legacy distillers are now fully engaged in marketing to people like us.    For me,  the past year brought about a renewed appreciation for Barton,   with the BIB and Full Proof expressions coming to my full attention.   MM101 is another example;  it's what that bourbon should always have been.   

Buffalo Trace's marketing just flummoxes me,  to the point where I ignore the brand.    In Pennsylvania and New Jersey,  their rye recipe bourbons are not regularly available,  and their wheat recipe stuff non-existant.    John J. Bowman scratches the occasional itch,  and I conclude otherwise that BT doesn't seek my business.   

Heavan Hill has become my specialty bourbon purveyor.    Pikesville is likely the best Kentucky-style rye and Rebel 10 was the best wheater I had all year.    I don't see the ECBP very often,   but I snagged the latest batch and it is furshlugginer awesome. 

Old Forester and WT remain favorites.  Although WT is throwing in with the prevailing fad of releasing LEs that I'll never hope to find,  I forgive them because  WT101 Rye is finally back again in Pennsy.    OF just keeps regularly available to me seven variations on the same exact mashbill,  and I'm like a pig in a waller. 

I didn't drink much Four Roses this past year,  I don't know why.    I enjoyed a couple of very nice Bulleit Single Barrels., including one this past Christmas with my family.   

I think most of this year's increased Barton's consumption came at the expense of Beam.   Beam needs to do more with its high-rye mashbill,   Why not Basil Hayden at 100 proof?   

As for the small KY producers,   I've had bottles of bourbon from Wilderness Trail,  Peerless and New Riff.   All are worthy and I have no reason not to buy these again but haven't gotten around to it yet,    It seems my craft repeat business these days is going to Woodinville.    

All good thoughts! Agree on increased appreciation for Barton. 

On 1/1/2022 at 2:49 PM, FasterHorses said:

Thanks flahute.. always great to hear things from an veteran and somewhat “insider”.  

A)I have also been told that JD is adding to the 10 yr and will likely be releasing a 15yr and a 20yr. Who knows if that’s true. 
B)Was there any info on PVW 23? I didnt see any 20 or 23 this year. 

Oh now that is really interesting on the JD. I hope this happens.

As far as I know the full complement of PVW was released this year.

14 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I visited the Bardstown Bourbon Company and had a pretty informative conversation with the Master Distiller.

He told me that their own Bourbon will be ready to bottle as of Q4 of 2021 but because that wasn't an ideal time of year to release something new that they were waiting for Q1 of 2022. I hope to see them on shelves as soon as possible.

Moving forward, they plan on continuing the Discovery Series but discontinuing the Fusion Series as they were only doing it until their own juices were mature enough to be bottled on their own.

Talking to the Assistant Master Distiller, he wanted to add a wheated bourbon to the lineup. They were just going through making the distillate when I was there (March 2021) so it may not be available for about 4 years or so but I'm excited to see how it comes out.

For what it's worth, I asked them what their favorite wheated bourbon is now and they both said Weller 12.

I'm looking forward to both their own distillate coming of age as well as wider distribution so I can try it!

I've tried two of the BBC Fusion series,  and both were excellent.   I hope they keep the concept up, even when their own juice comes of age.   Good blending is a selling point.   

• I like it 2

If I recall correctly BBC said they would be launching a new line extension that is 100% their own distillate sometime in 2023 (around 6 years).  I believe this would replace Fusion, but am not sure what will happen to Discovery.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.