How long has whiskey been your hobby and....

WhiskeyProposition
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My whiskey journey started about 8 years ago.  I had never like bourbon before that but in wife got into wine in the late 90s and I got into craft beers in the early 2000s.  I guess this helped me develop my palate.  I was in my liquor store about 2012 and on a whim entered their lottery drawing for allocated bourbons.    A few weeks later I got the call that I had won and bought a  bottle of PVW 15 for MRSP.  

My father was from Eastern KY and we always had a bottle of WT101 in the house even though he rarely drank anything other than beer.  However, he was always proud of KY's bourbon heritage and I see my bourbon journey as a way to reconnect with him.

I fell off head long into it  when I found this site.  A lot of great people on their own journeys that are willing to share their knowledge and preferences.   Always very respectful.  

I probably have 10-15 bottles open at anytime but rarely drink more than one pour a week. 

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

My whiskey journey started about 8 years ago.  I had never like bourbon before that but in wife got into wine in the late 90s and I got into craft beers in the early 2000s.  I guess this helped me develop my palate.  I was in my liquor store about 2012 and on a whim entered their lottery drawing for allocated bourbons.    A few weeks later I got the call that I had won and bought a  bottle of PVW 15 for MRSP.  

My father was from Eastern KY and we always had a bottle of WT101 in the house even though he rarely drank anything other than beer.  However, he was always proud of KY's bourbon heritage and I see my bourbon journey as a way to reconnect with him.

I fell off head long into it  when I found this site.  A lot of great people on their own journeys that are willing to share their knowledge and preferences.   Always very respectful.  

I probably have 10-15 bottles open at anytime but rarely drink more than one pour a week. 

Wow, starting out ones bourbon journey with Pappy 15……. 🖖

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

On 2/25/2022 at 1:25 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Wow, starting out ones bourbon journey with Pappy 15……. 🖖

Biba! Joe

yep it was a great start.  I nursed that bottle for several years.  I have been fortunate to have gotten one more that is currently in rotation.  As I tell people, I have no trophy bottles.  Bourbon was meant to be enjoyed.

• I like it 8

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, PJMac said:

First got into Whiskies in the late 90's while I still lived in the Midwest. One of my wife's bridesmaids husbands was pretty high up at Maker's. I remember we went for a trip to visit them in Louisville for the weekend, and that was all she wrote. Early 2000's we moved to the Seattle area, and like a few others reading their stories in this thread, I got into the big microbrew beer scene out there. It wasn't until a few years ago that we moved our family back to Northern Indiana that I got really back into bourbon. 

Over the year's, I've been lucky to at least taste, if not own, all of the big hitters, the last one being Michter's, if memory serves me right. Like everyone, I have my own preferences, but always try to keep a few on hand for guests, or my regular bourbon crew - of the ones that aren't my favorites. 

Outside of that, I do have a few of the newer players, like Bardstown, New Riff, Barrell, Peerless, Horse Soldier, etc. I'm really like the blends coming out of Bardstown and Barrell recently. Personally, I don't think Peerless is priced all "that" high, I think I picked up my last bottle for $58? On the other hand, both Bardstown and Barrell can get salty quick.

I'm in Tampa.  Is Horse Soldier worth checking out?  The distillery is quite close.

Horse Soldier bourbon is actually made at Middle West Spirits in Columbus.  I saw in another thread that you are going to be in Columbus so you might want to visit them.

9 hours ago, Shep said:

Horse Soldier bourbon is actually made at Middle West Spirits in Columbus.  I saw in another thread that you are going to be in Columbus so you might want to visit them.

Well, color me silly.  Thanks!  Trips to visit the Partially Deductible Expenses (kids) became a bit more attractive.

Looks like they plan on moving it to KY:  https://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/horse-soldier-bourbon-is-coming-home-with-new-200-million-distillery-destination-on-kentuckys-lake-cumberland/

Does anyone here like it?

Great topic.  First off, it’s probably been a couple of years since I’ve been on here (can’t remember when I last posted).  Between the pandemic and some major life changes (new job, move and major issues with the house that will be resulting in another move), I kinda haven’t been doing much drinking of new stuff, been mostly beer and some stuff from my stash.

At any rate, my bourbon journey started in 2011 in my late 30s.  Before that it was mostly beer and occasional cheap liquor (primarily in college).  Backpacking is actually what got me into bourbon.  I like to carry something to sip on at night and around a campfire (if I have one), but I also wanted to keep the weight down (I was working my way through section hiking the Appalachian Trail at the time).  So I started with Everclear (mixed with stuff like Gatorade of course)…can’t get any more concentrated than 95% ethanol…ha ha ha.  Well, one night in CT I overdid it a little bit…I always say one big sip of that stuff separates a buzz from getting drunk…and that was it for that.  I started looking for something else that was more flavorful and less concentrated.

So I headed to the liquor store and of everything I could buy I grabbed a scotch…a Macallan 12 of all things.  That turned out to be really good leading to a natural progression to bourbon/rye and the rest is history.  I also have to give a shout out to Ralfy as I’ve watched his reviews throughout the years and it was his review of Elijah Craig 12 (2010) that was the catalyst that got me going on our wonderful American spirits.  Currently I’m into bourbon, rye, scotch and am starting to dabble in rum.

As for bourbon and rye, over the last 10 years I’ve tried most of the major core offerings and lots of one offs of most distillers.  I also spent a lot of time my first 2 years chasing limited releases and built quite the stash off of that.  Now, I’m settled in to what I like and I don’t chase or hunt anything anymore, I just stock up on what I know I like.  As a matter of fact I’ve found that I prefer a lot of the readily available core offerings.  Unfortunately, the BT mashbill #1 is my favorite and since I haven’t been in a liquor store but a couple of times in the last 2 years until recently, I just found out there is no regular old BT, Eagle Rare and/or Elmer T Lee anywhere near me here in VA…I remember that stuff falling off the shelves they were so full…bummer…hopefully that will change here in the near future because it’s causing my whiskorexia nervousa to flare up…I keep having incidents like the other day where I blacked out and when I came to I had 4 bottles of scotch I hadn’t seen before…ha ha ha.

As to what I haven’t tried, ummmm…Mitchers…Belle Meade…there’s probably a couple of others I’m missing.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.