I Did It!!!

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally cured my OFED. (Old Fashioned Erectile Dysfunction)

I make a killer Sazerac & an even better Whiskey Sour, but my Old Fashion has gone from ok to sucking to ok again.

Well I quit trying to make what I thought I saw and what a mixologist said and matched the exact recipe from an old fashion New Orleans bartender.

1. Started with OF86 and it was pretty good (better than I had ever made)

2. Upped the ante' with OF100 (yaaaa, even better)

3. Added the Smoke (good enough to sell)

4. Added some pretty damn good NFL games (fun Sunday with My Honey)

• I like it 3

How about your other ingredients: sugar, bitters, garnish.

I've also found the 100 proof whiskey is much better here (like many of the B.I.B. brands).

Good to let it sit a few minutes for some of the ice to melt and the cocktail to get more integrated.

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

How about your other ingredients: sugar, bitters, garnish.

I've also found the 100 proof whiskey is much better here (like many of the B.I.B. brands).

Good to let it sit a few minutes for some of the ice to melt and the cocktail to get more integrated.

I think that I've always doubled the sugar. It didn't taste too sweet but it just wasn't right. This time was 1tsp sugar to 2 oz bourbon. I think the muddling of the orange zest really helped it. Bitters was the same. Thanx for the sitting tip. I may have done that this time without realizing. Hope I can duplicate!!!

In the past, I've used some of the less processed cane sugar (light brown) or mixed half dark brown and white sugar.  I find it worth it to get the real cane sugar.

You can play around with different bitters too.

For garnish, I like orange, lemon, and cherry with some of the juice.  I keep the portion of the citrus small.

So much fun you can have with this cocktail.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed on the 100 proof Rye for the drink, makes it much better.  My go to is Rittenhouse Rye.  I use Demerara sugar to make my SS.  Muddle a little SS with an orange peel (pith removed) and Angostura Bitters and a dash of their orange bitters too.  pour in the Rye and stir,  take another orange peel and gently warm it with a lighter and as you are warming it squeeze the peel over the drink which causes a little flame burst and wipe the peel around the rim of the glass.  Fantastic!

• 1 month later...

My favorite old fashioned I’ve made:

Weller Special Reserve when it was only $25 (won’t be doing it any more because of how much people want for bottles)

double simple syrup (2cups of sugar to 1 cup of water. I keep it around for Mai Tais too)

sometimes I like to mix it up and use some pure maple syrup

filtered water ice

luxardos (of course)

just plain old angostura no fancy bitters

i like to make the orange peel a long twist instead of a slice. Feel like I get more surface area on it and I use the peeler to stir it too and get those juices in there too

dont care if it’s wrong at all that’s just my fav old fashioned I’ve ever made

I’ve sense switched to Makers 46 since I can’t find the Weller anywhere and I’m going to start messing with some ryes 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Peprsprayyoface said:

I’ve sense switched to Makers 46 since I can’t find the Weller anywhere and I’m going to start messing with some ryes 

MM101 makes a fantastic Old Fashioned. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.