Bottled in bond

Matthew
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’m from PA so limited in what is obtainable.  Why are some bottled in bond whiskeys so desirable when they can only be four years old?  I would guess they are high rye?  I realize age is not everything. But some can be very expensive.

Bottled in Bond is a set of government standards (information can be found online with ease).

Bottled in bond products can be older than 4 years.  4 is just a minimum number.

Products meeting BiB criteria come in many price points.  Low price products meeting BiB criteria represent a good value to “guaranteed” quality ratio, with a low label BS factor.

• I like it 2

A quick internet search turned up some links I think are pretty good.  ALSO, if you put "Bottled in Bond" or "BIB" in the SB search box, you'll get lots of hits on topics in which SBers discuss this.  What 0895 said is the essence of what "bonded" means.  The history behind "bonded" distilled spirits is, to so,me of us, fascinating as well. 

Check out the "History" section of SB for more info.  LOTS of BIB discussion over the last couple years on SB.

I use it as a guide, not a hard rule.  It means the bottler cared enough about the product to follow the somewhat antiquated, cumbersome rules.  I'll reward the bottler with at least one purchase.  SURPRISE!  Some of them warrant a second purchase.

Happy reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottled_in_bond

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bottled in bond

• I like it 2

Harry's right - BIB is a mark of quality, especially for.craft producers where the pressure is understandably great to cut corners.   

Simply put, BIB guarantees my patronage, at least for one bottle.  

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, Matthew said:

I’m from PA so limited in what is obtainable.  Why are some bottled in bond whiskeys so desirable when they can only be four years old?  I would guess they are high rye?  I realize age is not everything. But some can be very expensive.

Bottled in bond are generally a good representation of house style from a given distiller.  They often are a good value.  Must be at least four years old, may be older.  They may be of any Bourbon mash bill, or rye whiskey, or corn whiskey, or even brandy if it meets the requirements.

What are the very expensive ones you are looking at?

20 hours ago, Matthew said:

Lots of BIB's on the market these days including some expensive ones. When you see the BIB love on this forum we're referring to the inexpensive ones. They represent a price to quality ratio that we appreciate for both daily drinking and cocktail making. The requirement to be 100 proof and minimum 4 yrs old (and can be older as Paul said) tells us what to expect from a flavor and quality standpoint and when you can get that for as little as $13 a bottle and usually less than $20 for most it's like the best kept secret in bourbon when the majority is chasing high price bottles.

Every distillery's BIB is made with their typical mashbill so not necessarily high rye. OGD BIB is a unique high rye recipe though and made by Beam. Beam also makes a Beam branded BIB that is the typical Beam mashbill. 

• I like it 1

Thank you for the info.  I do enjoy rittenhouse.  OGD is a good bargain.  Unfortunately OGD 114 is not available in pa.   

I agree with Paulo that BIBs are typically a good representation of the "house style".  I was thinking about this when sipping an OF 1895 BIB and comparing it with a similarly-proofed "batched" product like Statesman.   Remember that there's another BIB attribute that tends to be overlooked -  all the juice must come from a single distilling season.  Batching juice of different ages changes the flavor!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.