Cedar Ridge

Dean E
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw a Youtube video that showed a newer distillery in Iowa that I had not heard of.  Being a month after the new year the wife and I start to get a bit of cabin fever and like to go out and try new places for a 3 day weekend.  Cedar Ridge is just south of Cedar Rapids, IA down close to the Amana Colonies.  Went to a very nice Bed and Breakfast in Amana Colonies and went to the distillery on Saturday.  What a pleasant surprise.  They are also a winery but being mostly German background in the area most of the wines were a bit sweet for us.  The few that were dry were OK but to me not worth the money they asked for them.  The Bourbon on the other hand was a great find.  Their regular 80 proofer was OK but I like my whiskey and bourbons to be closer to 100 proof or higher.  Their top of the line was called Slipknot Reserve and although good it was not to me a $90 a bottle bourbon.  The two pictured below were a big hit with me.  Both are first run batches as you can see from the picture.  Although I'm not a big rye fan their Bottle and Bond rye was outstanding.  Great sweeter flavor up front in the palate with more of a spicy rye finish on the end.  The Double Barrel is very rich in flavor with a solid smoky oak taste you would expect from a double barrel selection with a long finish.  Both of these bottles sell at the distillery at $50 each which to me is a great buy for 100+ proof selections.  If you make it to eastern Iowa, definitely worth the stop.  Great customer area and one of the few places that will let you sample their spirits.  Dean

B022959D-A41A-48F6-8D6A-DC00A8D7A552.jpeg

Edited by Dean E
added discription
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.