Lets hear your top 5

Bamber
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I havent been lucky enough to have tasted too many bourbons but so far, these are my favs

1)Elijah Craig 12

2)Bookers

3)Wild Turkey Rare Breed

4)Bakers

5)Evan Williams Single Barrel 93.

Top 5 commom pours , Stagg is a given if you are so blessed to find it ...

1)ORVW 10 Year 107

2)Ezra Brooks 101

3)Evan Williams 101

4)Old Granddad 114

5) Bellows Club Bourbon ...gone but not forgotten ..

Bill g.

Here are my five favorites. It's tough to put them in order, though. Like Bill g said, Stagg is a given. It's far above anything I've tasted so far.

1- Booker's

2- Bakers

3- Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve

4- Rare Breed

5- Evan Williams Single Barrel

Fred drink.giftoast.gif

In no particular order (after the Stagg):

Stagg

Rock Hill Farms

OFBB Spring '90

ORVW 15 107

Rare Breed

ER 17 '03

Oops; that's six. Bookers could be on the list, but for what I notice appears to be inconsistency between bottlings.

toast.gif

Here are my top 5 - but, as soon as I write this, more research will be done between my glass and my lips. 1 Wild Turkey Rare Breed 2 Woodford Reserve 3 Buffalo Trace 4 Maker's Mark 5 Knob Creek Now back to my research Berncow drink.gif

This is a tough one for me, but here they are (keep in mind my tastings have been pretty limited so far):

1. Rock Hill Farms

2. Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve

3. Eagle Rare Single Barrel

4. Evan Williams Single Barrel 1994 Vintage

5. Bulleit

Honorable mention - Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Elmer T. Lee, Eagle Rare 101.

I drink single malts also. These are as good as or better than most single malts and the Stagg and Eagle imo are better than any single malt out there.

yum.gif

George T. Stagg (of course)

Eagle Rare 17 yo

Jefferson's Reserve

Bookers

Knob Creek

*DISCLAIMER* Still a relative noob in the world of Bourbon, and as of yet I still have not tasted Stagg or Pappy 20 or 23 or Hirsch 16 or 20.

1 ORVW 15 107

2 Eagle Rare 17

3 WT RB

4 OGD BIB

5 Blantons

There are a lot of Boutbons that I like a lot that did not make the cut, but if this group were the only Bourbons I could find in my local stores I would still be a happy man.

Here's my top 5:

1) Wild Turkey 12

2) ORVW 15 107

3) Wild Turkey Kentucky Legend

4) Old Charter Proprietors Reserve 13

5) Bookers

Potential contenders I'd like to try: WT Kentucky Spirit, WT Russels Reserve, WT Rare Breed, Stagg, Black Maple Hill, Hirsch 16.

/M

Let's see......

1.EC 18yo for sure....

2.OF 13yo birthday....

3.VW 12yo special reserve

4.Weller 10yo Centennial

5.Rock Hill

OK, so I am pretty new to all this, but I have branched out enough to have a top 5.

1 Buffalo Trace

2 Rare Breed

3 Van Winkle Family Res Rye

4 Evan Williams Single Barrel

5 AAA 10yr

Only bourbons that I have consumeed in multiple sittings were considered. This means my Sazarac and recent acquisition of Stagg are not listed for that reason. Also, in the current sampling collection is a bottle of Basil Hayden.

Welcome aboard, DS. (Based on your screen name here, I will take a wild guess that you own a dog with large, loose lips, such as a Mastiff or an English Bulldog. grin.gif)

Your numbers 1 and 5 suggest the possibility that Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's, or both will someday crack your top five, displacing either one or both of their stablemates, or perhaps one of the non-Buffalo Trace bottlings. I envy you that process of discovery.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

6 months later:

1. GTS (2003)

2. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13YO

3. ER 17YO

4. Blanton's Silver Edition

5 == Sazerac 18YO Rye

5 == Weller 19YO

Had to be sneaky with the last 2 !!

My current:

1. Stagg 04

2. VWFRR 13

3. VW 15/107

4. WT Russell's Reserve

5. Sazerac Rye 04

Still unopened on my shelf and will likely change things up: OGD114, OFBB Spring 90, Knob Creek.

I'm tempted to say the last 5 I've tried -- because there have only been one or two that I won't buy again, and I may even drink those on someone else's dime.

But, anyway, if I were down the my last five bottles, I'd want them to be (today, anyway):

<ul type="square">[*]1a. Wild Turkey 12yo (ugly gold label preferred)

[*]1b. George T. Stagg (2003 -- higher proof will last longer because I dilute it)

[*]3. W.L. Weller Centennial

[*]4. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 1989-2002

[*]5. tie, Sazerac rye or Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Hmmmm, I have to choose only 5? That makes it difficult.

1. Stagg 04

2. Stagg 03

3. Randy Blank VWFR Lot B Single barrel

4. Pappy 20

5. BMH 14

There are probably a bunch more that would qualify along with the BMH, such as WT 12, EC 18, and Pappy 15 but I just have to give it the edge.

Here's mine but the order is meaningless.....I'm enjoying them all right now.

1. WT Tribute

2. Hirsch 16 (any version....I like them all)

3. Van Winkle Sp Res 12yo Lot B ("Blankle")

4. Van Winkle 15/107 (Old version)

5. Rock Hill Farms

Other's in and out of that rotation include EWSB '94 and the Birthday Bourbons.

Dane.....need a resupply of the Van Winkle?

Randy

*DISCLAIMER* Still a relative noob in the world of Bourbon, and as of yet I still have not tasted Stagg or Pappy 20 or 23 or Hirsch 16 or 20.

1 ORVW 15 107

2 Eagle Rare 17

3 WT RB

4 OGD BIB

5 Blantons

There are a lot of Boutbons that I like a lot that did not make the cut, but if this group were the only Bourbons I could find in my local stores I would still be a happy man.

Now I have had Pappy 20, so as of today the list changes to

Pappy 20

ORVW 15 107 (old)

WT RB

ER 17

OGD BIB

This list now puts some delicious Bourbons in the also ran category. It almost isn't fair for the Sam Houstons and the Corner Creeks, and the Blantons. There is just too much good Bourbon out there.

Welcome aboard, DS. (Based on your screen name here, I will take a wild guess that you own a dog with large, loose lips, such as a Mastiff or an English Bulldog. grin.gif)

Your numbers 1 and 5 suggest the possibility that Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's, or both will someday crack your top five, displacing either one or both of their stablemates, or perhaps one of the non-Buffalo Trace bottlings. I envy you that process of discovery.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Indeed, my 7 year old English Bulldog-Dozer just passed, but he will live on forever in my mind. His name is reserved for a stout that I have yet to drink or brew. On the bourbon side:

I am quite likely the envy of many. Not to gloat, but I live in Cincinnati, OH, just across the river from Kentucky and some of the best liquor stores in the country for bourbon. I have had both Blanton's and Rock Hill Farms, but I won't put one of those on my list until I have personally consumed 1 bottle's worth. My exploration is currently heavily leaning toward rye, as I have 5 different bottles right now. (including a bottle of Anchor Old Portrero) For the time being, I find the holidays more conducive to seasonal beers.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure Dozer was a fine companion. (You will find many dog-lovers in this group.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 2 weeks later...

Top five (subject to change depending on my pocket book)

Knob Creek

Elijah Craig 12 yum.gif

Old Grand Dad BIB

Evan Hill Single Barrel

WT Rare Breed drink.gif

At last count , I think I have 17 bourbons in my top 5. Hard as I try, I can't squeeze my favorites to only five, particularly when value and availability are considered. When the mysterious change in my taste buds takes place, like it does every few days, it makes it even more difficult to choose. There is no shortage of great bourbons. It amazes me how many people stick with Scotch and pay twice as much for the sake of image. toast.gif

My new top 5

1. BT Single Barrel (Barrel #4)

2. BT single Barrel (Barrel #4)

3. BT Single Barrel (Barrel #4)

4. BT Single Barrel (Barrel #3?)

5. BT

bowdown.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.