Value

Matthew
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is there a topic for best bourbon at various price ranges, perhaps a terminal point where a bottle simply is not worth it.  < 30 is buffalo trace, <40 is eagle rare, < 50 four roses sb, < 60 is old forester 1920. I am in PA which is not allowed to go above Msrp.  I would like to hear some differing opinions.  

There is a search function that might help.

In the past there have been multiple threads on value.

What's the best in a price range can be subjective as different folks favor different house styles.  It's kind of like asking what music or food is the best.

If you try the mid shelf brands from the legacy distillers, you can decide where you are interested to move up the ladder in price.

I like this. My Choices at retail prices that I see currently:

Sub $20- EW 1783 or VOB100

Sub $25- WT101, OF100, WSR

Sub $35- ER, KC9

Sub $45- Bulleit Blenders select 1

Sub $70- RRSiB, ECBP, JJBSiB, JDSiBBP

• I like it 1

Pricing and availability vary.  Worth is up to each of us to decide based on whatever calculus we use to make the determination.  Now add personal preferences and a list I make will be different and perhaps wildly so from a list you or anybody else makes.

As an easy example there are many hype beasts happy to take crotch shots in parking lots of their new $80 bottle of Weller SR.  I think Weller SR was a no go when it was $17 and collected dust on shelves.  There’s a vast middle ground of people who think it’s a great value pour around $25.

There’s no one size fits all list.  If you tell people what you like and ask for suggestions within certain budgets you’ll get some advice, maybe good maybe worth what you paid for it.

30 minutes ago, berto said:

Pricing and availability vary.  Worth is up to each of us to decide based on whatever calculus we use to make the determination.  Now add personal preferences and a list I make will be different and perhaps wildly so from a list you or anybody else makes.

As an easy example there are many hype beasts happy to take crotch shots in parking lots of their new $80 bottle of Weller SR.  I think Weller SR was a no go when it was $17 and collected dust on shelves.  There’s a vast middle ground of people who think it’s a great value pour around $25.

There’s no one size fits all list.  If you tell people what you like and ask for suggestions within certain budgets you’ll get some advice, maybe good maybe worth what you paid for it.

Well, he did say he would like to hear differing opinions…  🙄

I'm a fellow Pennsylvanian so I'll try to answer with the limited selection that we have available from FWGS:

< $20 - Old Tub,, Rebel Yell 100, HH BIB, EW 1783

< $30 - Rittenhouse Rye (not bourbon but good), OGD BIB, Larceny, WT101

< $40 - Elijah Craig, KC9, Ezra Brooks SiB, OF 1870, MMCS, MM101

< $50 - ECSiB, WTRB, OF 1897/1910, WB Saffell (if you can find it), Bulleit 10 yr.

< $60 - OF1920, FRSbS, OE7, KC12

Anything above that is too rich for my blood or needs to be something special lol.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

• I like it 2

Phantomlamb like how rittenhouse rye as mentioned.  Drinking pikesville right now. Older version of rittenhouse.  Very good.  $60.  It’s a shame how empty shelves are in the whiskey sections here in pa. 

• I like it 1

On 3/1/2022 at 11:42 AM, PhantomLamb said:

I'm a fellow Pennsylvanian so I'll try to answer with the limited selection that we have available from FWGS:

< $20 - Old Tub,, Rebel Yell 100, HH BIB, EW 1783

< $30 - Rittenhouse Rye (not bourbon but good), OGD BIB, Larceny, WT101

< $40 - Elijah Craig, KC9, Ezra Brooks SiB, OF 1870, MMCS, MM101

< $50 - ECSiB, WTRB, OF 1897/1910, WB Saffell (if you can find it), Bulleit 10 yr.

< $60 - OF1920, FRSbS, OE7, KC12

Anything above that is too rich for my blood or needs to be something special lol.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

On 3/1/2022 at 10:06 PM, Matthew said:

Phantomlamb like how rittenhouse rye as mentioned.  Drinking pikesville right now. Older version of rittenhouse.  Very good.  $60.  It’s a shame how empty shelves are in the whiskey sections here in pa. 

I'm a frequent visitor up there,  Bedford County), and the whiskey pickings are always slim.      

The last thing I bought, was a few bottles of Old Tub, when it was on sale for $17.00 and a bottle of WT101 rye for $22.00.

It's a shame because, years ago, the shelves were full, and the selection was pretty good.    

Indeed. Welcome to the jungle, but no fun, games, or whiskey. PA sucks.

Between Pikesville and Rittenhouse,  HH makes some of the best rye around.   Those 2 have become my go-to ryes.

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.