Quality distribution range of barrels

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is a question that might be best answered by people in the industry, but I know there is plenty of knowledge within this membership. I’ve tasted lots of barrel samples, as well as countless single barrel products, to know there are huge variations. Same mashbill same age same location in a warehouse, there can still be huge differences barrel to barrel. In general though I wonder, what does the bell curve distribution of barrels look like overall? Say a producer made a 1,000 barrels of a certain mashbill in a given month. Anyone have a good idea of what the breakdown ends up looking like as far as:

1-amazing barrels worthy of LE products

2-very good barrels that go into single barrel products, top shelf small batch products, and barrel pick programs

3-good barrels that go into flagship mid shelf small batch products

4-stuff that gets blended into low priced mass produced products

5-bad enough that they don’t want to use at all, or decide to sell off to others in bulk

Regardless of which producer you’re talking about, there has to be some sort of basic similarities in his that distribution looks I would think, I just don’t have any idea off the top of my head what those %s would look like. Anyone think they have a good idea? 

• I like it 2

I love this question! As someone who spent a career evaluating clinical laboratory data, it would be interesting to see how this compares or what distribution model it would follow.

I am going to wager a shot of some really good bourbon that it is a bell curve that is skewed to the right (i.e. better outcomes) by the experience of the master distiller, weather impacts, and equipment quality.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, VWIndy said:

I am going to wager a shot of some really good bourbon that it is a bell curve that is skewed to the right (i.e. better outcomes) by the experience of the master distiller, weather impacts, and equipment quality.

That's exactly what I expect. Slight right shift of a Gaussian distribution.

I suspect in practice the honey barrels are identified;  some are batched and some are worthy of single barrels, and most of the rest are just blended together.   Maybe a 10%/90% split.  Just a guess.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.