Alcohol expires 1-2 years once opened!?

Forumzboard899
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was about to stock up a diverse bar of various spirits and liqueurs. Now I'm thinking twice.
I don't drink very much but I'd like to have many different things on hand but don't want to feel pressured to finish up everything quick.

I already figured that the lower ABV things like %20 liqueurs I'll keep in the fridge to be safe. 
But now I've learned even ~40% ABV spirits like Whiskey, Scotch, and Bourbon start to expire in a couple years once opened due to the small amount of air trapped in the bottle. This doesn't make sense to me because many of these are aged for years and years in wood barrels which air gets through, Lagavulin boats how their seaside breeze gives it extra flavor and it's easily google'able to confirm that oak etc barrels aren't airtight, and even if air doesn't get through, the barrels probably aren't filled %100 and therefore have some air trapped inside, and are also likely opened from time to time for whatever reasons. 

I read once it expires, it's not a health concern but that flavor starts to diminish  or become off-tasting. 
Lagavulin says their 10 year Scotch is a bit harsher than their 16 in terms of alcohol burn, but the extra 6 years for the 16 rounds out the burn and is also the sweet spot for flavors, then after 16 years the flavor isn't as good but might have a bit less burn. So how does it not become off-tasting after all those years?

I read sugary alcohols will expire faster in about a year once opened , so how is wine which has somewhat low ABV% and is sugary aged for many years in barrels without becoming off-tasting, instead it's usually claimed that aged wines become better. 

Regarding whisk(e)y, the flavor change comes from 1) the different evaporation rates of the water and alcohol components within the bottle, 2) the chemical interaction with more oxygen, and 3) the reaction to certain light spectrums in sunlight.  If you don't have it sitting in the sun and it's not swampy hot inside where you live then you should generally be fine for several years.  If you have special bottles that you cherish and reach for rarely then you can buy some inert gas to spray in the bottle each time you open and pour.  Wine Saver or various others all work fine.  They are pretty cheap  and a bottle will last a while.  

Generally, stress less and enjoy those spirits more. 

• I like it 4

I think whiskey that has only a couple pours out of the bottle should be stable for a long time.  If a bottle was say half full or less, I would expect it to start to oxidize eventually.

Aging in barrels is a whole other topic.

Once it has been bottled, aging has stopped.  

4 hours ago, Forumzboard899 said:

Was about to stock up a diverse bar of various spirits and liqueurs. Now I'm thinking twice.
I don't drink very much but I'd like to have many different things on hand but don't want to feel pressured to finish up everything quick.

I already figured that the lower ABV things like %20 liqueurs I'll keep in the fridge to be safe. 
But now I've learned even ~40% ABV spirits like Whiskey, Scotch, and Bourbon start to expire in a couple years once opened due to the small amount of air trapped in the bottle. This doesn't make sense to me because many of these are aged for years and years in wood barrels which air gets through, Lagavulin boats how their seaside breeze gives it extra flavor and it's easily google'able to confirm that oak etc barrels aren't airtight, and even if air doesn't get through, the barrels probably aren't filled %100 and therefore have some air trapped inside, and are also likely opened from time to time for whatever reasons. 

I read once it expires, it's not a health concern but that flavor starts to diminish  or become off-tasting. 
Lagavulin says their 10 year Scotch is a bit harsher than their 16 in terms of alcohol burn, but the extra 6 years for the 16 rounds out the burn and is also the sweet spot for flavors, then after 16 years the flavor isn't as good but might have a bit less burn. So how does it not become off-tasting after all those years?

I read sugary alcohols will expire faster in about a year once opened , so how is wine which has somewhat low ABV% and is sugary aged for many years in barrels without becoming off-tasting, instead it's usually claimed that aged wines become better. 

I wouldn’t worry about it, at least as far as 80 proof and up stuff. Or even lower proof stuff really…… I was a bartender for years. There were certain bottles that were open many years in that bar, including stuff below 80 proof. I have bottles of whiskey stashed away in my house that have been open for quite a while, I’m sure some 7 or 8 years. They still taste good to me. I will say that they’ve all been kept out of sunlight. Sunlight can degrade whiskey whether it’s ever been opened or not. 

• I like it 1

I keep a handful of various smaller bottles around to transfer long-term sippers into to limit oxidation risk in the original large bottles.  They're also quite handy to do test blends in.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:10 AM, BottledInBond said:

I wouldn’t worry about it, at least as far as 80 proof and up stuff. Or even lower proof stuff really…… I was a bartender for years. There were certain bottles that were open many years in that bar, including stuff below 80 proof. I have bottles of whiskey stashed away in my house that have been open for quite a while, I’m sure some 7 or 8 years. They still taste good to me. I will say that they’ve all been kept out of sunlight. Sunlight can degrade whiskey whether it’s ever been opened or not. 

I've had some low fill bottles that I kept around for 5-6 years that were great all the way to the last pour. Hard to tell if oxidation is really a big deal because I've never experienced it.

• I like it 2

Open bottles can last for years. Here’s a few things you can do to help make sure they do. Make sure caps have a tight seal, and/or use parafilm. Make sure bottles aren’t stored in direct sunlight. Keep bottles away from direct heat.

Have fun and good luck. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

I've got bottles that have been open for 5+ years, and I can't swear they are "exactly like freshly opened", but they didn't change enough that I thought they were 'off' or 'less than'.  In fact, I recently got down to the last 230 mL or so of a WLW I opened in 2014, and decided to decant it into a 200 mL bottle (mostly for space purposes), and poured what wouldn't fit.  Again - not a blind side by side by any stretch, but it was just as delicious as I remember WLW being.

Now if you've got a bad cork/seal - that's different (hell, seen never opened bottles with those that get to < 3/4 full and look scary - although honestly, if it was a dusty bourbon and I didn't think anyone had messed with it - I'd still try it :) )

• I like it 1

On 3/2/2022 at 6:40 AM, Forumzboard899 said:

It doesn't expire . I saw in a documentary  Eddie Russell drink a pre prohibition bourbon he kept in his office . You are good for years and years. No expiration . 

• I like it 2

I recently finished a low fill bottle of 4R SmB, which had been open for 6 yrs. It was very tasty on the last 3 sessions, maybe even better than when the bottle was opened. 

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I recently finished a low fill bottle of 4R SmB, which had been open for 6 yrs. It was very tasty on the last 3 sessions, maybe even better than when the bottle was opened. 

Cheers

What about the fourth session @Wedelstaedt? Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself. 😬 Long day. 🤥

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

What about the fourth session @Wedelstaedt? Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself. 😬 Long day. 🤥

Biba! Joe

LOL. My Bad Joe. I see now, that I wasn't clear. What I meant, was ,the last three sessions of that bottle, which emptied the bottle.

Thank you for the opportunity to correct myself. :-))

Cheers

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

BTW, Long Day?  Aren't you retired?  😆😉

Cheers

Just now, Wedelstaedt said:

LOL. My Bad Joe. I see now, that I wasn't clear. What I meant, was ,the last three sessions of that bottle, which emptied the bottle.

Thank you for the opportunity to correct myself. :-))

Cheers

You were clear W. I was just being an ass hat.🙄

Biba! Joe

Just now, fishnbowljoe said:

You were clear W. I was just being an ass hat.🙄

Biba! Joe

No worries, it's Friday.  Yippee!!

2 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

BTW, Long Day?  Aren't you retired?  😆😉

Cheers

Uhh, well, ummm….. Sheeesh. Can’t an old fart have a long day? 🥺

Biba! Joe

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Uhh, well, ummm….. Sheeesh. Can’t an old fart have a long day? 🥺

Biba! Joe

😆😆😆😆

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.