Happy Bottled in Bond Day!

PowderKeg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thank you PowderKeg for reminding us.  I'm quite the fan of bottled in bond.

I like the Old Fitz handle. 🤩

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I like the Old Fitz handle. 🤩

Yeah, that's the leading contender for first crack, got a couple more plus some 1L bottles bunkered, enough to last quite a few years as a celebratory sipper!

I don't have as expensive a lineup as you OP, but I poured a splash of several BiBs tonight- JB, Old Tub, JTS Brown and OGD.. All very drinkable, and reminders you don't have to break the bank to have an enjoyable pour. Keep chasing after the other stuff, taters!

• I like it 6

This could go in any number of threads, but in honor of BIB day, here it is. Bought today, and will be opening and drinking as soon as the 2-year-old with the cold is asleep. Anytime now fingers crossed.

IMG_3007.jpg

• I like it 8

34 minutes ago, lemonman said:

I don't have as expensive a lineup as you OP, but I poured a splash of several BiBs tonight- JB, Old Tub, JTS Brown and OGD.. All very drinkable, and reminders you don't have to break the bank to have an enjoyable pour. Keep chasing after the other stuff, taters!

Oh, not that expensive, 3 of the 5 were at the $45 mark, the 1792 $35, and the handle of Old Fitz was @ $30 (maybe less) IIRC @ 4 yrs ago when it got KO'd by HH

+1 on the JTSB, have a handle or so buried in a bunker box, and recently finished off a handle of JWD.  Plan on picking up a few more of each next trip thru KY, so when HH shafts us yet again by killing off more good affordable labels I'll still be able to enjoy some history (like I am with the Old Fitz).  

Unfortunately I think HH is a greater threat to affordable BiB imbibers than the taters... 

• I like it 1

Leopold Bros. is a 5-year BIB, and very similar IMO to Driftless Glen.  Cheers to all on BIB Day! 

20220303_214248.jpg

• I like it 2

Since it is BIB day, I’m starting off with OF. Will be moving on to Old Fitz soon. 🙂

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

• I like it 10

9 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Since it is BIB day, I’m starting off with OF. Will be moving on to Old Fitz soon. 🙂

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

One of my favorite, dirt cheap, whiskeys.  

20220303_224358.jpg

• I like it 3

16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

Looking at your picture I realize I forgot the ET BiB tonight...oh well, maybe tomorrow.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

So I gotta ask, have you noticed any substantial difference/change in Old Forester from Bonded to Signature to the current 100pf over the years?  I.e. I felt there was a somewhat noticeable change in VOB when BiB was dropped to simply 100pf, and while not bad, it def wasn't for the better.   I never had a bonded OF to compare to the later renditions of OF 100 proofers.

5 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

So I gotta ask, have you noticed any substantial difference/change in Old Forester from Bonded to Signature to the current 100pf over the years?  I.e. I felt there was a somewhat noticeable change in VOB when BiB was dropped to simply 100pf, and while not bad, it def wasn't for the better.   I never had a bonded OF to compare to the later renditions of OF 100 proofers.

For what it's worth,  within the past several months I had open bottles of both a dusty OF Bonded (in the dimple bottle)  and the recent OF 1897 BIB.   The newer juice was head and shoulders above the old.  

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

For what it's worth,  within the past several months I had open bottles of both a dusty OF Bonded (in the dimple bottle)  and the recent OF 1897 BIB.   The newer juice was head and shoulders above the old.  

The newer iterations of OF BIB haven’t impressed me much. The first bottle of “Signature” I had wasn’t bad. The next couple were just  meh. I stepped away from OF for a while, then decided to try a bottle of the “100”. It was only marginally better. It’s been a good while since my last purchase. 

On the other hand, I have tried a few of the OF Prohibition bottlings. I recently tried the 1897. I took a sip and was immediately reminded of the old taxed stamped OF BIB’s. Of the three or four OF Prohibition bottles I’ve had, they’re all pretty good, but IMHO, and with regards to @Jazzhead, none are in the same league as the 1897. It is delicious. 😁

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.