Help me identify old whiskey value

Kristi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just inherited some really old unopened bottles of whiskey..I don't know anything about them..need help! Pics of some attached, but there's more. Including a gift wrapped Old Grand dad's with a cameo on the box, and 1.75 L Crown Royal in a blue box from the 70s

16463429899603771321384427357866.jpg

16463430233273973227792676372488.jpg

16463430474314404952698917784658.jpg

We don't offer valuations on this site because we have a strict no buy/sell/trade rule.

I can tell you that the Old Charter 10 should be very good if it was stored properly.

• I like it 2

The embossments on the sides of those old OC bottles are gorgeous.  Coupled with that scalloped edged label with wonderful mix of fonts, graphics, and colors, makes this one of my favorite whiskey package presentations of all time. 👍🏻

• I like it 4

The Canadian Club is your basic well liquor (cheap behind the bar bottle for mixed drinks).  The fact it's unopened from 1971 makes it interesting, but not extra good, or valuable.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

The Canadian Club is your basic well liquor (cheap behind the bar bottle for mixed drinks).  The fact it's unopened from 1971 makes it interesting, but not extra good, or valuable.

This thread reminded me of a past discussion here on SB on how to determine the age of a Canadian whiskey bottle.  Attached below is a thread from SB archives that if I am interpreting correctly, would put the release of this bottle after1971.  If the info from the archives is correct, the year of 1971 on the strip stamp indicates the year of distillation of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.  As most Canadian’s are blends, and Canadian whiskey regs require that the youngest whiskey allowed in a bottle to be at least 3 years (there may be older whiskies in the blend), the bottling date is at least 1974.  Now, if there is an age statement somewhere on the CC label (I can’t tell from the pic), that would indicate by regulation (like US bourbon regs), the youngest distillate in the bottle.  So you could do a math thingee of adding that age onto the 1971 in order to determine the likely year of bottling.  

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I dated a Canadian when I was in college.  One of my fraternity brothers (Theta Chi @ MIT) was married to the Bunny Hutch mother of the Boston Playboy Club in Park Square.  She would bring some of the girls over to our fraternity parties for laughs.  That's where I met Bunny "Di".  She was a gorgeus redhead but 18 at the time, hailing from Nova Scotia.  Since she was "underage", she was the Bumper Pool bunny and played guys for money.  She always won (using her feminine charms to distract her opponents) and the money went to charity.  We dated for almost 2 years before she disappeared one night. 

Have I told this story before?  I'm getting old and forget stuff.  If I have, please stop me.  

🙄

• I like it 4

16 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

I dated a Canadian when I was in college.  One of my fraternity brothers (Theta Chi @ MIT) was married to the Bunny Hutch mother of the Boston Playboy Club in Park Square.  She would bring some of the girls over to our fraternity parties for laughs.  That's where I met Bunny "Di".  She was a gorgeus redhead but 18 at the time, hailing from Nova Scotia.  Since she was "underage", she was the Bumper Pool bunny and played guys for money.  She always won (using her feminine charms to distract her opponents) and the money went to charity.  We dated for almost 2 years before she disappeared one night. 

Have I told this story before?  I'm getting old and forget stuff.  If I have, please stop me.  

🙄

I guess you didn’t go to MIT for the academics huh?

33 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

🙄

I really gotta start writing some of this stuff down. :huh:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I really gotta start writing some of this stuff down. :huh:

Biba! Joe

Isn’t that what are doing when we post on SB?  And what thread this is, anyway? Just checked.  I inherited no distillate from my Dad as my younger brother (by 12 years) drank it all before we got to around to cleaning out the house.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Isn’t that what are doing when we post on SB?  And what thread this is, anyway? Just checked.  I inherited no distillate from my Dad as my younger brother (by 12 years) drank it all before we got to around to cleaning out the house.

I only ended up with some 70s Seagrams Seven and Canadian Club. I had my dad pick up a RHF for me one time and he said "you sure drink some expensive whiskey". And that's when it was $40 something.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.