A funny thing happened on the way to Dry January...

IamMatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I didn't actually do Dry January, more like Dry Early February to Early March, ending today.  First week I was recuperating from a medical issue so I didn't feel like drinking anyway.  Second week I was on the mend and I started missing it.  Third week I kinda stopped thinking about it and actually worried that I had lost my interest in bourbon.

Today my dry period was over and I couldn't decide what to break my fast with.  I felt like it should be with something special, or my "favorite" bottle or something.  Led to some interesting thinking.  Ended up narrowing it to Calumet 15, Remus Repeal V, or a Knob Creek store pick, and I am now enjoying a glass of the Remus. 

It made me focus on how many bourbons do I REALLY enjoy/love; which ones would I choose if I could only have 3 (or 6 or 12 or whatever) bottles; how much did drinking bourbon become a habit rather than a more conscious thought process, etc.

Did anyone else do a Dry January and have any revelations?

• I like it 4

I did a dry February this year.  The shortest month! 😄

My first pour needed to be special so I cracked one that I planned on opening a couple times before but hadn't due to a number of reasons (last false start  was a big wheater flight/vertical I dislike I guess last year, ... but by the time I got to the grand finale i had consumed enough for the night 🙄). I fixed it on March 1st, cracking open the CEHT seasoned wood and it was a great choice.

• I like it 1

Anyway, that's my story.  Glad to have you back and hopefully you're still on the mend and all ok. 

I think it's a good exercise to do a dry period every now and then to sort of perform a self assessment and to focus on health.  Its a good time to remind alcohol that I'm still in control here!

• I like it 2

Not quite the same,  but I've given up all diet soda for Lent.   Hopefully leading to a more or less full-time kick.   

• I like it 1

Ha! I too did a dry last 2 weeks in Feb and most of the first week in March due to medical reasons. Went to see Dr on Friday and he didn't say I can't or shouldn't drink so I visited a local craft distiller on Sat and had a few samples. I now have to slowly get back into drinking shape.

Hope you are feeling better.

• I like it 4

59 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

Hope you are feeling better.

And you too.

• I like it 2

Interesting that this is a topic of necessity...

I too have been dry for about a month. Pre-surgery through checkup today. Not needing pain mads I asked the Doc if bourbon was ok. 

She said 🥃👌.

I said :D.

Now the choosing begins...

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Interesting that this is a topic of necessity...

I too have been dry for about a month. Pre-surgery through checkup today. Not needing pain mads I asked the Doc if bourbon was ok. 

She said 🥃👌.

I said :D.

Now the choosing begins...

Put some names in a hat and pick one out Red. 🙂 Maybe even two or three. 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 or 3 it is... Sh!+ my palate is broke...

So far the KC12 was good with some very strange notes.

OGD BiB gave me the standard red hots but nothing else

Last pour of a Dettling 111 - I don't know what that was; added ice - tasted better but wth...

Last try coming up...

Well whadaya know!!!

A last try with MM101 and the closest to bourbon pour to be had... 😎🖖

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 4

6 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Last pour of a Dettling 111 - I don't know what that was; added ice - tasted better but wth...

Last try coming up...

Well whadaya know!!!

Last time I did a dry month the re-entry was rough. Took a couple days for things to start tasting right.

• I like it 1

On 3/7/2022 at 4:15 PM, bayouredd said:

Last try coming up...

Well whadaya know!!!

On 3/7/2022 at 11:14 PM, flahute said:

Last time I did a dry month the re-entry was rough. Took a couple days for things to start tasting right.

This is interesting because after my "Dry February" (granted not 100% dry because I did have 3 glasses of wine within 2 dinner events during the month) I had ZERO issues with my palate coming back immediately.  My first pour was CEHT Seasoned Wood. 

To paraphrase a quote from the 1990's, ...  the Seasoned Wood was real and it was spectacular. 😍 😍

• I like it 1

I occasionally will do a dry Monday.  Sometimes, I might even extend it to Tuesday and Wednesday.  But, by then the weekend is in view and I like to lengthen my weekends rather than shorten them.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.