Belle Meade Bourbon

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This may get moved since its a TN product.. 

Belle Meade has historically been partnered with MGP. Their single barrels and gift shop finished releases were MGP as far as I know. The 108 Reserve I believe is MGP
Apparently their vision was to bring their own product online and tht has now officially been achieved. A friend of mine in the business is telling me that along with the announcement of their new whiskey, the MGP single barrels and finished bourbons are being discontinued as well. I would imagine they will do these releases (honey, black belle, apple, vanilla, cherry)with their own distillate in the future.
a) I wonder if they will be able to pull it off. I think the nashville tourism biz will probably help a bunch. 

b) does anyone know if the relationship with MGP will be completely abandoned? I imagine I can glean some info locally but just curious at this point if anyone has heard anything. 

If true, this is another end of an era, in line with SAOS/MGP, OKI/MGP, Boone County/MGP, Blaum Bros/MGP, Willett/MGP, High West/MGP and  chattanooga/MGP to a lesser extent. I hope they at least keep the 108 Reserve. 

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

If true, this is another end of an era, in line with SAOS/MGP, OKI/MGP, Boone County/MGP, Blaum Bros/MGP, Willett/MGP, High West/MGP and  chattanooga/MGP to a lesser extent. I hope they at least keep the 108 Reserve. 

Don’t worry.  As long as “craft” “distilleries” keep popping up, the “era” of MGP pumping whiskey, any whiskey, into them will keep rolling along.  

• I like it 2

On 3/8/2022 at 7:08 PM, smokinjoe said:

Don’t worry.  As long as “craft” “distilleries” keep popping up, the “era” of MGP pumping whiskey, any whiskey, into them will keep rolling along.  

Given the recent purchase of MGP by Lux Row, I have high hopes for MGP.

Among other things, I give Lux Row credit for owning a real warehouse/ knowing how to manage a warehouse.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, PaulO said:

Among other things, I give Lux Row credit for owning a real warehouse/ knowing how to manage a warehouse.

Oh man I thought they just partnered with MGP, I didnt realize they bought that behemoth. Anyway..I think once MGP bourbon gets to 8-9 years its some of the best. I wish these guys that had great results ageing barrels bought from Indiana would find a way to keep that as part of their buisness. 

• I like it 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:50 PM, FasterHorses said:

Well-aged MGP is getting scarcer,  and the loss of the 108 Reserve would be a cryin' shame.   I'm sipping one now, and it's got that quintessential MGP dark cherry hug.   This and the Smoke Wagon UCUF are such marvelous pours.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

On 3/10/2022 at 7:11 AM, PaulO said:

I thought MGP bought Luxco.

https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/mgp-luxco-kentucky-bourbon-acquisition/

• I like it 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:08 PM, smokinjoe said:

True.  MGPi ain't going anywhere.  They might play around with their name now and then, but their bourbon and ryes will continue to be available under various brand names.  And the better NDP's will become the new "cream of the crop" (like Smooth Ambler, Belle Meade, (and Smoke Wagon I assume) have done previously) because they will know how to choose the better barrels, or know how to age them well in their own warehouses.  Who knows which new brand will pop us as the next Smooth Ambler or Smoke Wagon, but there will be someone to fill the void, because MGPi will continue to produce quality distillate.

Edited by Kepler

On 3/10/2022 at 8:02 PM, FasterHorses said:

Oh man I thought they just partnered with MGP, I didnt realize they bought that behemoth. Anyway..I think once MGP bourbon gets to 8-9 years its some of the best. I wish these guys that had great results ageing barrels bought from Indiana would find a way to keep that as part of their buisness. 

Me too, but evidently the price hike of wholesale distillate has made that business model untenable.  At some (price)point, faced with rising prices consumers will just purchase from the big brand producers (Beam, BT, BF, WT, 4R, MM).  Will people still purchase SOAS and Smoke Wagon sitting on the shelf at $100 or more ?  I'm not sure (I know that I won't).

5 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Well-aged MGP is getting scarcer, ...

yes.  and then when a new "craft" distillery buys some old, they blend with younger, and sell for $$$.  But these Remus Repeals show MGP can set some good stuff back and offer for reasonable price... at least I think reasonable for my taste preference.

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

yes.  and then when a new "craft" distillery buys some old, they blend with younger, and sell for $$$.  But these Remus Repeals show MGP can set some good stuff back and offer for reasonable price... at least I think reasonable for my taste preference.

I'd love to be able to get the Remus Repeals around here,  and maybe MGP's acquisition of Luxco's distribution network will make them available in Pennsy and New Jersey.    All the Luxco brands are common around here.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.