Big Bunker Conundrum - i.e. what do I pour? Anyone else have this "problem?"

Skinsfan1311
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

I have over 100 open bottles.  For me, choosing something is never a problem because I guess I'm just in tune with my own moods.  But a bigger "problem" for me is a change in my tasting preferences over time.  For example, like a lot of people over the past few years, I've stocked up on many bottllings that are barrel proof or "full proof" because I really liked the flavor.  But now I find myself passing over some of these open bottles for lower proof offerings that I find myself enjoying more.   (I usually drink neat and tend to just pour & sip.  I don't really enjoy the process of proofing down by adding water.  Guess I'm lazy.)

Consequently I have tons of high proof bottles that don't get touched as often as I thought they would.

39 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

I have had this same issue. It also seems like things have tilted so far in the high proof direction that a huge percentage of nicer releases are done at more than say 100 proof. And some of my old favorites at lower proofs have become impossible to get. Fortunately in my fondness for BiB stuff, I can at least pick a 100 proof pour :)

I find myself in the same quandary to the point where, (unless it's a really good deal or something that I really want), I rarely buy them anymore, except to replenish some of the mainstays, like  OGD 114 or WTRB.    

I find that anything between 95 & 110 proof is in my wheelhouse, with 101 being the sweet-spot.

• I like it 2

On 4/8/2022 at 9:38 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I find myself in the same quandary to the point where, (unless it's a really good deal or something that I really want), I rarely buy them anymore, except to replenish some of the mainstays, like  OGD 114 or WTRB.    

I find that anything between 95 & 110 proof is in my wheelhouse, with 101 being the sweet-spot.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:12 PM, 0895 said:

Ive noticed this with myself as well.  I’ve noticed I am now much more able to find the flavors in the proofed down bourbon.  Most nights I enjoy sipping on something without having to think about it too hard.

I also enjoy being able to have 2-3 glasses and not feeling like garbage the next day.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:22 PM, Kepler said:

I have over 100 open bottles.  For me, choosing something is never a problem because I guess I'm just in tune with my own moods.  But a bigger "problem" for me is a change in my tasting preferences over time.  For example, like a lot of people over the past few years, I've stocked up on many bottllings that are barrel proof or "full proof" because I really liked the flavor.  But now I find myself passing over some of these open bottles for lower proof offerings that I find myself enjoying more.   (I usually drink neat and tend to just pour & sip.  I don't really enjoy the process of proofing down by adding water.  Guess I'm lazy.)

Consequently I have tons of high proof bottles that don't get touched as often as I thought they would.

Coming back down the ladder has been a unique and pleasing part of my journey.  Not quite sure when it began, but I'd wager about the same time that Booker's moved from $60 in my area to $70 and now on to absurdity, ECBP became scarce and priced higher and the 15 year old KC SiBs dried up.  I should probably toss in a cube or a bit of water to my higher proofed offerings, but I'm really enjoying this journey back down the ladder.  :)

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to solve this problem by paring down the number of different bottles I have.  Also by not buying every new thing.  I realized that I probably only REALLY like maybe half of the different bottles I own, so I am trying to concentrate on the ones I really like and kill (and not replace) the others. 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.