Good Friday In Ireland - Sale of alcohol was illegal

MissMohawk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Until recently in Ireland, the pubs were closed on good Friday and the sale of alcohol in shops was banned due to the 1927 Intoxicating Liquor Act. 

Thursday would usually have seen trolley loads of alcohol going out of the shops, all because it wasn't available for one day. 

This ended in 2018 when the law was lifted, pubs can now open on Good Friday and the sale of alcohol is allowed as normal in shops. There are a few places that will still close today because it is what they have done for so many years. 

• I like it 2

In my state, we had no Sunday alcohol sales in stores (repealed several years ago).  At that same time, a person could get served in a bar or restaurant.

Stores are still not permitted to sell alcohol while polls are open and people are voting for political offices.

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, PaulO said:

Stores are still not permitted to sell alcohol while polls are open and people are voting for political offices.

Which is ironic because if there is one day of the year when a drink or seven would be called for it is Election Day...

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.