Woodford Reserve's Master's Collection

MissMohawk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone any views on Woodford Reserve's Master's Collection Chocolate Malted Rye? Wondering if it's worth the €125 for it. 

36 minutes ago, MissMohawk said:

Has anyone any views on Woodford Reserve's Master's Collection Chocolate Malted Rye? Wondering if it's worth the €125 for it. 

I didn’t think so - the chocolate notes were overpowering and unbalanced. I don’t particularly like chocolate flavored alcoholic beverages though so if you do, I could see a different result.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, MissMohawk said:

I’ve had it and didn’t much care for it. It’s got a very strange, dark beer like profile that didn’t do it for me. I like stouts and such, but not in my whiskey. I’d pass on a bottle, and grab a pour at a bar first. 

• I like it 2

Over the years, the different releases of the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection have been odd ball creations that never seemed to catch on with enthusiasts and were offered at high retail prices.  These tended to remain available in stores for years after they were released (like nobody wanted to buy).

Probably the one exception to this was the one they did that was simply regular Woodford Reserve at 125 proof.  That did get some favorable reviews.  

• I like it 1

It depends on what you are looking for. The goal of the program is to change one or more of the factors that affect what you are drinking like grain, aging or finishing. If you like Chocolate nuances in your bourbon it is most excellent and worth the money. Rich mouthfeel and a sultry chocolate finish but not over powering. These do not repeat except for the batch proof which is a yearly release. 

some of these I have not cared for and some I like a lot. I look at them as a change of pace type bourbon.  to me the best has been the Very Fine Rare which has up to 17 year old whiskey in it.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

It depends on what you are looking for. The goal of the program is to change one or more of the factors that affect what you are drinking like grain, aging or finishing. If you like Chocolate nuances in your bourbon it is most excellent and worth the money. Rich mouthfeel and a sultry chocolate finish but not over powering. These do not repeat except for the batch proof which is a yearly release. 

some of these I have not cared for and some I like a lot. I look at them as a change of pace type bourbon.  to me the best has been the Very Fine Rare which has up to 17 year old whiskey in it.

I agree that the very fine rare and batch proof editions have been outstanding.   The chocolate from a couple years ago and this years malted stouted stuff have been a distinct thumbs down by my tastes.

• I like it 2

Is the Master’s Collection still exclusively Woodford distillate?  

On 5/3/2022 at 8:10 AM, smokinjoe said:

Is the Master’s Collection still exclusively Woodford distillate?  

Yes it is

On 5/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, Old Hippie said:

Yes it is

Ugh.  I’ve not like much of the Master’s Collection since the beginning as WR’s pot still whiskey is very disagreeable to me on its own.  I do like a bit if it mixed in to Old Forester whiskey in their standard bottling.  I’ll admit, I really would like a bit more added in the current bottlings, as I like the character it brings.  I think WR has pulled back too much on it in recent years, and subsequently lost too much of its house style.  

On 5/1/2022 at 8:31 AM, MissMohawk said:

very few of the master's have been universally considered "worth it" - they fall in same ball park as things like Buffalo Trace or Jeffersons experimentals.  On it's own merits as a sip, show me a BT experimental that's "worth it"

but read Old Hippie's post again, he nailed it exactly.  These are experientals and only worth it if that's what you looking for.  The Master's Oak finish #4 from 2009 only one to really receive tremendous accolades across most drinkers.  It was so good Woodford turned it into regular release Double Oak and then some other early master's now on shelf as Malt, Rye, & Wheat.  Incidentally, though the master's malt not the very 1st modern US malt to market, it might have been 1st into barrel.  

Is it worth it to you?  I only bought 2 of the recent 5-malt, thinking now could use 2 more.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:23 AM, Old Hippie said:

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.