How to Make a Penicillin, the Most Successful New Whiskey Cocktail of the Millennium (So Far)

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of my favorite cocktails. Also one of the few that I like that incorporates Scotch.

Spoiler

10 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Wonders never cease to amaze me. Here’s an article for @tanstaafl2 and all you cocktail lovers on the site. 😎  Cheers y’all.  😁

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/cocktails/how-to-make-a-penicillin-the-most-successful-new-whiskey-cocktail-of-the-millennium-so-far/ar-AAXh6BM?li=BBnb7Kz

The original Penicillin was made with Compass Box Asyla blended scotch along with Peat Monster for the smokey scotch float. As a result CB has adopted it as a signature cocktail.

The article and even Compass Box have simplified the recipe a bit. The original directions were something like this. 

1 2⁄3 oz Blended Scotch (Compass Box Asyla)

2⁄3 oz Lemon juice

2 t Honey syrup (3:1 with hot water)

2 t Ginger juice (sweetened 4:3 with white sugar)

2 t Islay Scotch (Compass Box Peat Monster, as float)

Instructions

Shake, strain, float. Garnish with a slice of either fresh or candied ginger on a pick.

CB Asyla is no longer readily available so CB now suggests using the Artists Blend in its place.

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.