Whiskey Rocks /Stones

MissMohawk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone use whiskey rocks/Stones instead of ice?  I'm assuming they don't interfere with the taste. Seen them today and am curious about them. 

Have them, have tried them, find no real use for them. While they don’t dilute whiskey, they’re too small to chill if your looking for the chilling effect.. JMHO, but if you want a chill on the whiskey, put the bottle in the freezer, or use an ice cube.

• I like it 3

Yep - I agree with Kj. I bought these early in my journey and realized pretty quickly that they don't really work very well. They lose their coldness very quickly.

If you are looking to chill your pour with minimal dilution I recommend ice spheres or a very big rock. They melt slower - especially the spheres.

• I like it 2

Some people really like the totally clear ice, without any or much air incorporated into it.

It's more complicated to make, but melts slowly in comparison, less dilution of drink.

• I like it 2

The stones are pretty much worthless.  Right up there with the spiral wood aging kits…😏. The difference is that at least the stones won’t F Up your whiskey like the wood spirals.  They just don’t work. Though, if you’re not careful, that stone starts to hydroplaning on the side of the glass, you could knock out a tooth…🤪

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

but melts slowly in comparison, less dilution of drink.

I did not know that, thanks for sharing.  

• I like it 1

On 5/31/2022 at 6:14 AM, PaulO said:

Some people really like the totally clear ice, without any or much air incorporated into it.

It's more complicated to make, but melts slowly in comparison, less dilution of drink.

Same, I just make my own ice if I want something cold.  If you are interested in making crystal clear ice rocks, let me know, I found a good video on YT that explains it.

• I like it 1

Forgot I had these when I saw them in the bottom of the freezer yesterday.  Not worth the effort to use.  Bottle in freezer is the way to go.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot the stones. As stated by multiple people above, they don't do a good job at all. Follow the instructions in this video to make clear cubes. You have full control over the size of each cube. They'll melt much slower than cloudy cubes. 

And they're extremely easy to make.

• I like it 2

On 5/31/2022 at 5:14 AM, PaulO said:

They're actually super easy to make. I've been using this method for years, and they're always perfect.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

They're actually super easy to make. I've been using this method for years, and they're always perfect.

PRO TIPS!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Forgot the stones. As stated by multiple people above, they don't do a good job at all. Follow the instructions in this video to make clear cubes. You have full control over the size of each cube. They'll melt much slower than cloudy cubes. 

Ohhhhhh........this is great. I'm going to try this.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 1:55 PM, JCwhammie said:

I just pulled my cooler from the freezer and cut them up, and it worked great.  Dang Whammie, you continue to make my life more meaningful!  First the Whammie cocktail, now the clear ice trick!  😂

First pic is individual cubes, and second is the big slab.  

Generally speaking, as long as the ice is cold, I’m not really concerned with the clarity.  BUT, clear cubes are cool when I get one at a bar, and this was kinda fun and ridiculously easy to make!  

A0F14D60-13DB-4364-995E-FC7D8369049A.jpeg

26E86F74-75AB-4F96-A047-2715893B4E17.jpeg

• I like it 1

55 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I just pulled my cooler from the freezer and cut them up, and it worked great.  Dang Whammie, you continue to make my life more meaningful!  First the Whammie cocktail, now the clear ice trick!  😂

First pic is individual cubes, and second is the big slab.  

Generally speaking, as long as the ice is cold, I’m not really concerned with the clarity.  BUT, clear cubes are cool when I get one at a bar, and this was kinda fun and ridiculously easy to make!  

A0F14D60-13DB-4364-995E-FC7D8369049A.jpeg

26E86F74-75AB-4F96-A047-2715893B4E17.jpeg

Cheers, Joe!! 

This is all good to know. I had the same question nagging me for awhile. At my start I really liked bourbon and water now find the sleep melt sphere just about perfect for a glass

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.