Italy/Austria recs

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My world travelling coworker is headed to Venice, Milan, Salzburg, Vienna. I’ve seen some of the old threads with some great finds in Italy at least. She’s willing to mule back a couple bottles. Anything worth looking for over there? 

When I was in Italy about 5 years ago there wasn't anything to be found in Venice.  Tell her to keep her eye out for 8yr age stated WT101 but don't expect much.

• I like it 1

Can’t help on shops but it’s always wise to give mules price guidelines so you don’t end up owing silly amounts of money on something you would have skipped at the price.

• I like it 3

I got excited when I saw this thread because I thought I might be able to help some in some small way. I know a couple of folks who will actually be in Italy tomorrow. Unfortunately, they’ll be in the Livorno, Florence and Pisa areas. 😕 

Biba! Joe

35 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I got excited when I saw this thread because I thought I might be able to help some in some small way. I know a couple of folks who will actually be in Italy tomorrow. Unfortunately, they’ll be in the Livorno, Florence and Pisa areas. 😕 

Biba! Joe

If your friends flew to Italy, that's a big ask, given luggage space, and weight limits, especially for overseas flights.

8 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

If your friends flew to Italy, that's a big ask, given luggage space, and weight limits, especially for overseas flights.

She brought an saos last time from switzerland and i did feel like it was a bit of an imposition. I’ll probably just let her try to enjoy herself this time!! Good call.

• I like it 3

This isn’t helpful, but your comment on old threads and Italy made me remember the super stellar dusties that were picked from there  back when, and reported on these boards.  

• I like it 2

31 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I was just gonna ask them for any information they might be able to glean in their travels.

They flew in to Germany last Saturday, then after a layover on to Spain for a Med Cruise. Italy tomorrow, Sardinia Saturday, then I’m not quite sure. I believe they’re flying to Denmark, then home from here. I know the restrictions. I kept quiet and didn’t even ask them to see if they could check on Blanton’s Gold and SFTB for me. 🤐

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Was in the Milan area in 2019 and didn't see anything.  I didn't look that much however, plenty of other good stuff to be experiencing.

44 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

This isn’t helpful, but your comment on old threads and Italy made me remember the super stellar dusties that were picked from there  back when, and reported on these boards.  

Amazing pics in those threads. I was dreaming that some of those places were still full of dusties

• I like it 1

I was in Italy in Oct. 2014 (Rome, Lucca, Parma) and bourbon selection was very limited and priced very high.  We wound up drinking Italian brandy which, while kind of sweet, is not bad.  Vechia Romagna was our go to for under $20/bottle. 

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

She brought an saos last time from switzerland and i did feel like it was a bit of an imposition. I’ll probably just let her try to enjoy herself this time!! Good call.

It probably was.

As frequent travelers, we've been asked to bring stuff back, from time-to-time.   Our friends who fly know better than to ask.   We just tell our other friends, politely, "we'll see what we can do", and don't 😄

If I'm going to the trouble and expense of traveling, especially out of the country, anything I bring back will be for me and the Missus or grand-kids 😉

We take a few "Wine Wings", whenever we fly...just in case.

• I like it 2

I remember a few years ago when @Vosgar and his wife took a vacation to Scotland. He bought several bottles of Scotch. The person that owned or managed one place they stayed at may have had some kind of connection to a couple of distilleries. He helped folks that stayed at his place pack and ship their purchases back to the States. He did this for Gary.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I remember a few years ago when @Vosgar and his wife took a vacation to Scotland. He bought several bottles of Scotch. The person that owned or managed one place they stayed at may have had some kind of connection to a couple of distilleries. He helped folks that stayed at his place pack and ship their purchases back to the States. He did this for Gary.

Biba! Joe

That sounds like a terrific find, that hotel/boarding house. Do you mind sharing the name, if you know it?

3 hours ago, Rhettro said:

That sounds like a terrific find, that hotel/boarding house. Do you mind sharing the name, if you know it?

Sorry @Rhettro, I don’t remember the name. I even went back and looked at all my messages to see if he mentioned it, and couldn’t find anything. The only other thing I remember is that he said the place they stayed at had a small restaurant and bar that was pretty decent.

Biba! Joe.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

She brought me a Blantons Gold from La Maison du Whiskey! I had told her not to mess with it and enjoy her trip! Complete surprise.

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

She brought me a Blantons Gold from La Maison du Whiskey! I had told her not to mess with it and enjoy her trip! Complete surprise.

Nice! Every once in a while. 👍 Enjoy! 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Score. 

Congrats

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.