Drink with Dad

Anwalt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Visiting the Old Man.  Had a 27-year Red Breast with him.  

Spectacular.  I don't think I've ever tried a whiskey with such a lonnnnng finish.  Apricots and apricots, for a good long while after the sip.

Also got the last bottle of Old Overholt that my Grandfather had.  He passed about 9 years ago.  Dad bought him a six pack of OO.  I may make this final bottle into an eternal one.  A sip is taken, a sip takes its place.  When I used to drive him home he took great pleasure in getting me a wee drink - and buzzed enough that I could not drive and had to stay the night.  A toast to the Greatest Generation, and my Grandfather in particular.  Tough & kind, those people.

Life is good.

• I like it 7

Good on you.  I remember when me and my old man had WT101 over an evening.  I'm still a young fool but was young(er) then and dumber, still memorable.

• I like it 3

My father is 91 and, thank God, in reasonably good health. He usually has a small but reliable store of bourbon and other whiskeys - KC9, Beam Black, Michters something or other, a rye or two, and some Canadian whisky. He says he buys them so that when I visit, I can drink some. But for some reason, I can’t get him to drink with me - he takes a couple medications and now refuses to drink anything other than a small glass of red wind with dinner occasionally. He always drank bourbon when I was growing up, usually JB or JD, or drank Old Fashioned’s. I tell him that an ounce of bourbon is no worse than a glass of wine but he’s stubborn so I don’t argue. My mother has a single Manhattan every day at around 4pm before dinner so when I visit, I am usually having a bourbon or an Old Fashioned with her instead.

• I like it 2

Great post!

We lost my father this past January, to Parkinson's.   Dad was a retired sailor, who served for 38 years.  He enlisted out of high school and served with distinction. He earned his Dolphins on the USS Angler & USS Dogfish & on was stationed on the "Big John", (Aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy)  Back in the late 60's, while serving on the Kennedy he became a Warrant Officer, then a Chief Warrant officer.   In addition to submarine school in CT, his career included  Annapolis, Va Beach, Naples, London and back to VA Beach, where he retired as a Commander.   He was a *Mustang.   Not a bad career, for a High School graduate 😉

Other than being a great Dad, it was thanks to him, we got to see the world and experience things that many people just dream about.    He was a good Man, Father and Husband.   We all miss him very much.

Late in his battle with Parkinson's, Dad had to forego alcohol.  Scotch was his drink of choice.  This bottle was special to him and he rarely broke it out and, on the rare occasions that he did so, it was always a big production.    It was the last drink that we shared, around his 81st, and final, birthday.

Fair Winds and Following Seas...............

*Commissioned officer who began his/her career as enlisted - i.e. they did it the hard way

The Balvenie.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 7

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Great post!

We lost my father this past January, to Parkinson's.   Dad was a retired sailor, who served for 38 years.  He enlisted out of high school and served with distinction. He earned his Dolphins on the USS Angler & USS Dogfish & on was stationed on the "Big John", (Aircraft carrier John F. Kennedy)  Back in the late 60's, while serving on the Kennedy he became a Warrant Officer, then a Chief Warrant officer.   In addition to submarine school in CT, his career included  Annapolis, Va Beach, Naples, London and back to VA Beach, where he retired as a Commander.   He was a *Mustang.   Not a bad career, for a High School graduate 😉

Other than being a great Dad, it was thanks to him, we got to see the world and experience things that many people just dream about.    He was a good Man, Father and Husband.   We all miss him very much.

Late in his battle with Parkinson's, Dad had to forego alcohol.  Scotch was his drink of choice.  This bottle was special to him and he rarely broke it out and, on the rare occasions that he did so, it was always a big production.    It was the last drink that we shared, around his 81st, and final, birthday.

Fair Winds and Following Seas...............

*Commissioned officer who began his/her career as enlisted - i.e. they did it the hard way

My dad was a Navy man too, but not nearly as long or distinguished as your dad. He enlisted in the Navy out of HS in 1948 but was allowed to go to college and graduate before actually serving. Not sure how he worked that out. He got lucky and served on a new experimental ship as part of the original crew, USS Northampton - CLC1, which was commissioned in 1953. He boarded during the shakedown cruise, trained on it in Norfolk before commissioning. Was during the Korean War but the ship was floating around in the Med. The ship was a command ship for the Atlantic Fleet and had a bunch of experimental electronics and communication equipment on it and my dad was a radioman and worked with all this new communication and electronic equipment. His Korean War "experience" included visiting Spain, France, Italy, Greece all along the Mediterranean coast like he was a tourist for 2 years. The ships main/home port was on the French Riviera. Definitely not a M*A*S*H like experience for him.

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.