Kitchen Hacks

smokinjoe

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Just saw this.  AND copied it to print out.  THX!  We have some end of season we can try this on.

Note that time is for ONE cob. For 2 I typically go 5 or 6 and for 4 cobs I'll do about 8.

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Note that time is for ONE cob. For 2 I typically go 5 or 6 and for 4 cobs I'll do about 8.

Wife says she's tried this - doesn't work.  We've been married 46 years.  I, myself, shall try this "again" to show her that it does.  It may take three or four successes, but . . .B)

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Wife says she's tried this - doesn't work.  We've been married 46 years.  I, myself, shall try this "again" to show her that it does.  It may take three or four successes, but . . .B)

I'd rather boil it than argue with my wife! 😝

I will say occasionally you get ones that don't come out easily and have to be "peeled" back but the corn is definitely cooked easily.

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 4:23 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Speaking of steak, not really sure it's a hack but grilling them first on cast iron to get a nice crush then finish cooking them internally in the oven.

I swear, it's like Ruth's Chris every time, makes even shoe leather steaks taste unbelievable.

I don’t cook a lot of steak these days, but when I do, it’s a nice one, and I want good results. I do this the other way around: cool in a sous vide and finish in a pan. Sous vide is really the only way to get edge-to-edge uniform doneness. Most of my friends who hunt won’t cook their game any other way. 

My corn method is also a little different. I have family in Nebraska and Virginia so I’m used to good sweet corn. But here in Montana, what we get is pretty variable and more often than not it’s starchy. My solution to that is to shuck the corn and toss it into a pot of cold water. After it comes to a boil, I turn off the heat and let it cruise while I attend to other things. After 30-45 minute, the starches have broken down and it’s always sweet. It’s also not very time-sensitive so the corn stays plump as long as it’s in the water. 

I’ll second the thermometer recommendation. It’s a tool I use all the time. 

2 minutes ago, evasive said:

[SNIP!!  by H]

I’ll second the thermometer recommendation. It’s a tool I use all the time. 

Longtime member/follower of amazingribs.com.  Spent too much of my life following my Dad's "thumb test" or "fat bubbles on the meat" test with better than average but still inconsistent results.  Learned to use a Thermopen.  I use it EVERY TIME for short cooks (steak, pit beef, pork chops, fish, London broil, skirts, tri-tip, pork tenderloin, turkeys, roast chicken, butterfly lamb, etc.).  Indeed, I have three just in case . . .  For long cooks (brisket, standing rib, pork shoulders, etc.), I have OTHER thermos with alarms and cables and sharp pointy probes that withstand heat.

I agree that sous vide is a great technique, but I usually only cook for two to four and don't mind the extra time cooking from THE RAW takes.  Fora groiup of twelve relatives or so, SV is the ticket so we all eat at the same time.

On 10/7/2022 at 11:30 PM, Clueby said:

I'd rather boil it than argue with my wife! 😝

I will say occasionally you get ones that don't come out easily and have to be "peeled" back but the corn is definitely cooked easily.

Oh, yeah - FOLLOW UP after I tried yet again.

She ALSO used that word "occasionally" when I presented her with the results - something about being safe not sorry. Sure hope she was referring to the sorry corn .:rolleyes:

• I like it 1