When your collection outlives you - then what?

WhiskeyProposition
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Let's say you're somewhat similar to me: I don't have kids, no one to pass my collection on to. I'm not what I would consider to be a 'heavy consumer'. I might average a pour once a day, but it's probably not even that often. That being said, I have around 120 bottles. Let's say I drink, what, four bottles per year? I think that's high, but many have been opened so I'll just use that number. That would take me 30 years to finish what I have, which would put me around 80 years old. It's pretty safe to say I'll keep buying and maintain the number of bottles I currently have. I just got to thinking the other day - I wonder who will get them when I'm gone? I would hope before that time comes, I'll have someone picked out, but just wondering about others. I know many have far, far larger collections. If you don't have kids or kids who would appreciate that collection, who's the lucky dog that's going to wind up with it?

• I like it 1

I often think about your question.  I suppose if any of it makes it as far as your scenario, it'll be for sale at my estate sale and someone will score some "great" dusties.

• I like it 5

So my daughter was 4 at the time. We were going for doughnuts on a Saturday morning. She says "daddy when you die i'm going to sell your bottles and buy a swimming pool". To which I responded "it better be a really nice pool". She concluded "it will be". So I assume that question has been answered over here. We bought Krispy cremes and chocolate milks shortly after. Got mom a coffee too.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 7

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

I often think about your question.  I suppose if any of it makes it as far as your scenario, it'll be for sale at my estate sale and someone will score some "great" dusties.

We have some really good friends whose "kids" (mid-20's) are really special to us. They're the closest my wife and I will ever have to our own. I fully expect my collection will be divvied up between them. 

1 hour ago, Mattk said:

So my daughter was 4 at the time. We were going for doughnuts on a Saturday morning. She says "daddy when you die i'm going to sell your bottles and buy a swimming pool". To which I responded "it better be a really nice pool". She concluded "it will be". So I assume that question has been answered over here. We bought Krispy cremes and chocolate milks shortly after. Got mom a coffee too.

You didn't address the most important question: was the sign on? 

• I like it 1

We have 2 daughters and sons-in-law, 5 grandchildren, and a host of "friends" at Pappy's Place.  My bunker has 2 chances of being sold - slim and none. 

But I would like to buy @0895's stash and make his wife a very rich lady  . . . . . . .  😂

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 7

I told the kids that if I die with anything left over, that was an accident.  With that said, The Boy (as compared to the two girls), likes the stuff.  He'd probably think of the things we did together as he had a bit here & again.  

Some will be needed to bribe the cops.  I want a wake where a departed life is celebrated and there's more laughter than weeping.  Told the kids that if they do not play It's A Long Way To The Top and the Immigrant Song loud enough to get the police on the scene, they failed.

• I like it 6

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

We have 2 daughters and sons-in-law, 5 grandchildren, and a host of "friends" at Pappy's Place.  My bunker has 2 chances of being sold - slim and none. 

But I would like to buy @0895's stash and make his wife a very rich lady  . . . . . . .  😂

If anything happens to me on the sooner, my wife says there will be one hell of a bottle opening party.

I make sure your on the list.

:)

• I like it 4

A 5th has 14-15 pours at 1.5oz per.  

A pour every night is 2 weeks a bottle. Your stated average

That's 26 bottles a year.

At 120 in possession that's like 4-5yrs worth.

Is my math wrong?

Edited by Bourbon Scout
  • I like it 1

My wife claims she is going to have a fantasy draft like proceeding with the kids that like Bourbon (and herself).   So that's four selectors - I just hope somehow I can look down and see who makes the best picks!

• I like it 2

I’m saving mine for the Archaeologists or Aliens to enjoy. Depending on what happens, of course. And I hope they appreciate the money, effort, and time spent collecting more than I’ll ever probably drink. 

• I like it 1

I hope everything is shared, but don't want to list names that might bring about a premature fate ;) 

• I like it 4

• 1 month later...

I used to collect handmade knives.  Hundreds.  Was president of a collector's club for a while.  My wife and I used to go out to breakfast every Saturday then hit garage sales.  I told her once, "I fantasize about going to a garage sale and there is some little old widow there with a huge table of custom knives and she says, 'Thank God my husband died and I can finally get rid of all these damn knives.'"  My wife looked at me with a deadpan expression and said, "Yeah, that'll be me."

Not sure if it applies to my bourbon bottles, though.  My son (20s) enjoys bourbon but he lives in a small 2-bedroom condo with 2 roommates so he wouldn't have room (Yikes!  Did I just admit something?)  My wife is younger than me but she only drinks bourbon once in a while.  I have a few bourbon buddies I would be happy to leave my remaining bottles to.

Still, I have always said that if my doctor told me I had only 6 months to live, I would say, "Hah!  I can do it it 4!" then do all the stuff I didn't do because it was unhealthy or dangerous.

• I like it 3

I’ve been pondering this lately.  I also don’t have kids and the math says I have much more booze than I’m likely to finish.  I have 3 nephews who are in elementary school.  They’re about a decade and a half away from being legal.  I have instructions for the wife about who to contact about selling sealed bottles if I go unexpectedly.  The open stuff will go to those folks

as payment for their help.  I’ve cut way back on purchasing.  I like think the little dudes will end up with it as big dudes but if it all gets tossed so be it.  

• I like it 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:04 PM, Bourbon Scout said:

A 5th has 14-15 pours at 1.5oz per.  

A pour every night is 2 weeks a bottle. Your stated average

That's 26 bottles a year.

At 120 in possession that's like 4-5yrs worth.

Is my math wrong?

Damn, that mean I only have about 3-4 years worth of Bourbon. I need to go shopping today!!!!

• I like it 5

friend of mine passed and his kids and friends drank it all up as bourbon and coke.  not kidding.  old stitzel pappy 20, GTS, etc..  the only ones they valued were anything JD.  not kidding,

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I reckon if my collection outlives me, my “sprit” will live on through my collection. 🙏 See what I did there? 🤣

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

• 1 month later...

I want to take mine with me... and plan to be cremated..... you'll read about the explosion in the news.  ;D

• I like it 3

On 10/13/2022 at 10:32 PM, AverageDave said:

I want to take mine with me... and plan to be cremated..... you'll read about the explosion in the news.  ;D

I too plan on being cremated. I already have my urn. 😇

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg.c567ba253304e60c3e4b574eb1a41f2e.jpeg

• I like it 4

My Doctor:  "I'm afraid you only have 6 months to live."

Me: (looks at collection) "I can do it in 3."

• I like it 7

On 10/14/2022 at 3:35 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

I too plan on being created. I already have my urn. 😇

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg.c567ba253304e60c3e4b574eb1a41f2e.jpeg

I went to a wake this summer.  The gentleman had been placed in an aircraft engine cylinder.  Lived & died an aviator. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.