What craft bourbon are you drinking today?

Jazzhead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/25/2022 at 5:01 PM, Jazzhead said:

Figure it makes sense to put up a thread for takes on what craft stuff we're sipping.

This is 6-year wheated bourbon from a distillery, Flat Rock Spirits of Fairborn, Ohio,  that appears to be defunct. (Hotel Tango is the bottler).  But it has left a good-looking corpse - this is solid stuff, fully mature, an ephemeral wheater of quality that,  it appears, is gone with the wind.

20220625_194137.jpg

@Jazzhead, Wow, by this picture alone I just have to ask if you are into Tibetan Buddhism? I got my Masters degree from Harvard University back in 1997 in World Religions, but Tibetan Buddhism was my speciality. I love that mandala in the background1 I also love the 45 single. At any rate, keep on keepin' on brother. Love your pour, your mandala, and your 45 single! Cheers! N. 🥃😍

Edited by WhiskeyBlender

2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Jazzhead, Wow, by this picture alone I just have to ask if you are into Tibetan Buddhism? I got my Masters degree from Harvard University back in 1997 in World Religions, but Tibetan Buddhism was my speciality. I love that mandala in the background1 I also love the 45 single. At any rate, keep on keepin' on brother. Love your pour, your mandala, and your 45 single! Cheers! N. 🥃😍

Geez @WhiskeyBlender. No love for the Chicago Cubs Jamie Moyer bobblehead? 🤨 I’m disappointed. ;) 

Headed to Kirby soon Nancy? 

Biba! Joe

On 7/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Some years ago I made a special version of MHC finished in Pineau des Charentes casks,.......

I believe that is what you let me taste right out of the barrel when I visited you and did the barrel pick at the original Magnus location in DC. That was good.

This is fully mature 6-year beach stash wheated bourbon from a distillery in Fairborn, OH, Flat Rock Springs,  that apparently is no more.   Probably a contract distilling place,  all I know is that this has all the salient characteristics of fine wheated bourbon,  if that's what you dig.  75% corn, 15% wheat, 10% malted barley.    I like it better than McKenzies, and not as well as Rebel 10, but it's right in that ballpark.  I may buy it again before it's gone.

20220716_171822.jpg

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

Thanks, Shep.  It seems that their branded product, Stillwright (which I have never seen), is the same or similar wheated bourbon as Hotel Tango has bottled.  On their website it is last described as aged in 53 gallon barrels for up to 5 1/2 years.   The Hotel Tango is 6 years old,  and seems, as the label proclaims, ready to drink.  Good stuff,  and a snapshot of a voice now stilled (heh heh),  like the obscure jazz legend who only made one record.

• 3 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jazzhead said:

This is fully mature 6-year beach stash wheated bourbon from a distillery in Fairborn, OH, Flat Rock Springs,  that apparently is no more.   Probably a contract distilling place,  all I know is that this has all the salient characteristics of fine wheated bourbon,  if that's what you dig.  75% corn, 15% wheat, 10% malted barley.    I like it better than McKenzies, and not as well as Rebel 10, but it's right in that ballpark.  I may buy it again before it's gone.

20220716_171822.jpg

This is the one I was discussing on the What Bourbon Did You Purchase (Fall 2022).  Thanks for pointing me over here!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.