What will your “go to” be when and if the boom ever ends.

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Everyday "go to" for me would be CEHT SmB & EC12.  Both excellent bottles with a very different taste. 

4 hours ago, Remocap said:

All of our corn goes to the Boston and Clermont facilities of Jim Beam. 

👍😎👌 Thank you sir. Appreciate the information. 

Biba! Joe

On 7/22/2022 at 11:48 PM, 0895 said:

You had me at EC12.  I miss this so much.

What?!?  @Clueby didn't share????  🥳

8 hours ago, GeeTen said:

What?!?  @Clueby didn't share????  🥳

No, He always shares.

I still really miss EC12.  I figured HH was bluffing, just like KC with the 9.

I was wrong 😑.

• I like it 1

If by 'ends' it means there is some return to normalcy in pricing, I'd be back to my trusty SB Blend (60 Weller Antique/40 Weller 12).  But I don't think that is likely to ever come to pass.  Thankfully have enough bottles that if I stopped buying, I'd be set for a decade - and every year that I've sworn I won't buy more . . . well, we know how that story has turned out :)

But I'd probably stick with WT101 or OF100 as a go-to, daily drinker when I retire, or maybe OGD114 if it doesn't continue to shoot up in price.

• I like it 1

On 7/19/2022 at 7:58 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Hhhhm.  OGD BIB.  Ever heard of it?  THEN - WT 101 KSBW.  THEN - ER 10yr 90 proof unless they take away the years.  For the rye - OF 100 rye or Ritt or even OO BIB.  For non-100/BIB, EWB (86 proof) or 4R YL 80.  Premium - 4R Single Barrel Select.

Just reread this thread and realized that my first post said that, other than ER 10yr, I am a happy camper even now as stuff I want is usually available.  Maybe I’m not orgasmic, but certainly I’m content.

It is called “coping”.  In other words, pull up Eric Idle’s “Always Look at the Bright Side of Life” from “Life of Brian”.

• I like it 2

I’m not very good at navigating this site. Most all of Maker’s wheat comes from a farm around them for years. Our farm in contract supplies a small percentage of what Beam needs weekly for most of the year many other operations from southern Indiana and Kentucky supply the corn for the rest of the distilleries. Rye comes in by rail to Louisville and is trucked to various distillery. Canada or Northern Europe. Malted barley is probably the same. Rye from our area is not the best quality. Getting better though. It’s a weather problem during harvest. Some nongmo corn goes south to Jack Daniels for the Japanese market overseas. Figure that out after the still?   Just thought I would give everyone a local perspective from the ground up. By the way, 300 acres at BT is for experimental. These distillery companies use a lot of corn for their regular products. 

• I like it 8

I think if the boom were to end I'd still drink the same good stuff I do now,  mostly WT, OF and Barton for bourbon and HH for rye.   I have no great affinity for BT,  and indeed have come to resent them a bit for how they have manipulated things to create artificial demand for their products.   If I my lips never touch Weller or ER again I'll survive with a smile.  Don't get me wrong - I'd never boycott BT products at normal prices - I love baby Saz- but they sure as heck don't deserve cult status, at least IMO.

• I like it 2

On 7/25/2022 at 2:22 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Cam! Long time no see. How have you been? 

Biba! Joe

Hanging in there Joe.  You?

1 hour ago, camduncan said:

Hanging in there Joe.  You?

Not bad sir. I retired last September. So far it’s agreeing with me.🧐

Biba! Joe

23 hours ago, Remocap said:

Rye from our area is not the best quality. Getting better though. It’s a weather problem during harvest. 

You might know more about this - Wilderness Trail gets their rye from a local farm not far away from the distillery. My memory is a little foggy but as I recall because of the reasons you stated that rye is a challenge they used the knowledge of their processes and the make up of the soil at the farm to go out and find a rye strain that would thrive on that farm while also having the right qualities for a good taste outcome. As the owner of several bottles of their rye I can say that they succeeded. 

• I like it 1

On 7/28/2022 at 12:41 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Congratulations!  If I can get back over in the next few years, we'll have to have a belated pour.  I'll bring the Blantons ;)

• I like it 2

On 7/27/2022 at 10:41 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I recommend it to anybody and everybody.  If I knew then what I know now, I'd have quit, grabbed a walmart shopping cart to put all my stuff in, and sat outside ABC stores begging for bottles.

• I like it 1

In no Particular order. Both Rare Breeds. Old Forrester 1920. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Knob Creek 120 Proof. 

• I like it 2

On 7/31/2022 at 5:22 PM, Craig. C. Hively said:

In no Particular order. Both Rare Breeds. Old Forrester 1920. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Knob Creek 120 Proof. 

Other than ECBP, aren't those all pretty much readily available now?

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Other than ECBP, aren't those all pretty much readily available now?

lots of us, "go to" is whatever is in front of us.  easy peasy

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.