Exercises in restraint and self discipline

Dannabis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As someone among many here in similar situations, who has a decent amount of unopened bottles bunkered,

I write to discuss strategies and efforts to resist purchasing bourbon.

I try to tell myself that it is all just more "brown liquid" which I don't need.

I know I have more than enough to last me for many years at my rate of consumption, but I am always tempted by the quick thrill of shopping liquor stores and hunting for expressions and labels that I like or want to try.

I don't even look for rare or allocated whiskeys. I am trying to teach myself discipline and to choose not to purchase more bottles. When I do shop it is too easy to take home four or more bottles at a time.

Much like the movie Anger Management and the "Goosfraba" mantra, I am trying to find methods to be more stalwart against my devilish spendy ways.

What are your methods for resisting the Water of Life? (Uisge beatha)

Any good tips?

I'm sure some of you are better skilled than I at talking yourself out of a purchase.

Even now, with a full bunker and 8 new bottles from my road trip, I am contemplating hunting through Kentucky on my drive home at the end of the month.

Seriously.

Stay out of stores.

It’s a hard habit to break.

The internet availability still gets me sometimes, but staying out of stores has saved me a lot of cash this year.

• I like it 9

Hmm.  Years ago, my credit cards started listing my purchases by category.  I “discovered” while doing taxes that I was smoking several (like six or so) car payments’ worth of Butera Bravo Cortos while driving to and from work each year.  I had a convertible with a great heater so it was year-round = two a day five days a week times 50 weeks.  Seeing that number in black and white and multiplying it by five told me I missed out on a new car every five years.  So I quit cigars but continued to buy bourbon.

Truth be told, I’m scared to do the same thing with bourbon — not that I can’t afford it (and don’t need a car replacement any time soon).  But, the technique does make one question the cost-benefit.

• I like it 2

I agree that this might be a little hard to break.  I don't buy as many bottles as some on these forums but I have that habit of going into stores (especially while on vacation) looking for something I can't get at home.  Being cheap like me helps though.  

• I like it 3

My move is to pay cash. Too easy to ring up credit card purchases. Forking over $20s will make you think twice on what you're buying, at least for me.

• I like it 5

24 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

My move is to pay cash. Too easy to ring up credit card purchases. Forking over $20s will make you think twice on what you're buying, at least for me.

Nice.

94C8C9D5-862D-46E6-BB50-5CD617E91F30.jpeg

• I like it 2

My recent foray into bulk drain pours and gifting has had a positive impact on my habitual purchasing. I'm also feeling particularly mortal and don't want to burden my family with having to deal with “the room.”

I no longer travel with my “booze kit,” an elaborate mix of cases and packing materials which allowed me to safely bring bottles home. I'm currently on my fifth consecutive trip without a purchase, or even a liquor store visit. I've stopped buying online and narrowed my local liquor store options to my two favorites. So, although I'm still buying-- it's down to about 10% of the previous volume (although the average per-bottle cost is probably higher).

My goal is to gift or destroy six bottles for every new one brought into the mix-- easy now but will get increasingly tricky.

• I like it 3

52 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

My goal is to gift or destroy six bottles for every new one brought into the mix-- easy now but will get increasingly tricky.

Should I pm you my address Dave? 🤗

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Your retirement gifts are safe— I was hoping to transfer them to you in person at some point. 

• I like it 3

7 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Your retirement gifts are safe— I was hoping to transfer them to you in person at some point. 

It’s not often that I’m at a loss for words. 🤐

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

This ...ish is too funny.  Every member of SB.com is thinking the same thing.  I will see @fishnbowljoe's call and raise him one by adding I will pay shipping!  😜

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s not often that I’m at a loss for words. 🤐

Biba! Joe

A tear just came to my eye.  I think it is because the fill level of my open bottle continues to decrease.  But, yeah, this is touching too.

• I like it 2

The banter here sometimes reminds me of something that happened when I was in the Army. I was in an Army Band, and every so often we’d play a concert, festival or other gig where everything went great. I forget who first came up with the saying, but on those special occasions, we’d be on a break and someone would holler out, “You guys are great! Play all night!” This saying really came into play at a jazz festival we played every year in Batesville Indiana. Our stage (jazz) band was virtually on its own and yes, drinking was involved. Cheers y’all. You guys are great! Play all night! 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

In all honesty, I found the best method for me is to visit this forum only occasionally.

• I like it 4

A simple yet painful solution...............

Get permission from your  wife before you buy

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Old Hippie said:

So long as she isn't like me, in that case you will be worse off than ever before 😂😂 

• I like it 4

On 8/11/2022 at 10:52 AM, Old Hippie said:

The lawyer in me screams "Terrible precedent!  Run Away!  Run Away!"  😂

• I like it 2

On 8/11/2022 at 10:52 AM, Old Hippie said:

"It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" - old Chinese proverb (kinda').  😂

• I like it 2

On 8/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, TwoFingers said:

I agree that this might be a little hard to break.  I don't buy as many bottles as some on these forums but I have that habit of going into stores (especially while on vacation) looking for something I can't get at home.  Being cheap like me helps though.  

This pretty much describes my approach.

I'm cheap, and damn proud of it!

• I like it 4

37 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

This pretty much describes my approach.

I'm cheap, and damn proud of it!

Sorry, messed that up. I was going to say I agree with the above.  Relative cheapness figures into my buying decisions quite often. 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.