Irish Whiskey Recommendations in 2022?

PhantomLamb

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

I hear ya.  The Blue spot won my blind SBS, but I figure that's mostly due to the higher proof and subsequent intense flavor and longer finish.  I thought Red Spot had the more interesting flavor and for casual tasting I'm pretty sure I prefer it over the blue. 

I'm with you, albeit on a sample size of one with the Blue. I prefer the Red, especially for the finish. But still working through the Blue. 

Looks like Dublin airport duty-free has Blue at 62E. My friend said he'd get as many as they permit. That might even put them in Cheap Bastard territory.

I also tipped him off as to Celtic Whiskey Shop. Thanks! We'll see what he brings.

He says he has a surprise bottle. He was asking about in stores and bars. A burly man with a large, red beard who seemed to be very familiar with whiskey had my friend try one. My friend liked it, tried it multiple times to be certain, and bought some. Waiting for Santa to return to PR with the mystery whisk(e)y.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I'm with you, albeit on a sample size of one with the Blue. I prefer the Red, especially for the finish. But still working through the Blue. 

Looks like Dublin airport duty-free has Blue at 62E. My friend said he'd get as many as they permit. That might even put them in Cheap Bastard territory.

I also tipped him off as to Celtic Whiskey Shop. Thanks! We'll see what he brings.

He says he has a surprise bottle. He was asking about in stores and bars. A burly man with a large, red beard who seemed to be very familiar with whiskey had my friend try one. My friend liked it, tried it multiple times to be certain, and bought some. Waiting for Santa to return to PR with the mystery whisk(e)y.

Yep the Blue Spot is an even better price than the Red at the duty free.  But if you prefer the Red, they had those available too. 

That mystery surprise bottle is intriguing.  Curious to find out what it is.

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, Kepler said:

But if you prefer the Red, they had those available too

Red was 115E in Irish duty free. I can get it for 105 USD in St Maarten and sometimes for that little in France, certainly no more than 105E. We are in France enough that I'll use my Blue Points in Ireland and Red Points elsewhere. Yellow is circa 63E in Germany...I find to be super smooth, light & mellow with respectable flavor. But probably not such that I'd buy it again given how much more I like the Red & Blue. And Redbreast CS, you guys were, umm, Spot on about it.

I will have a reveal party on the surprise bottle. Are we still allowed to do that for babies & gender? Or do we have to wait until they are 13 and fully equipped to decide such heretofore biological matters for themselves, with the assistance of benevolent "educators"?  Oops, wrong part of the forum for that sort of talk. I didn't write it. Nope. Just the part about the bottle. Yup. Will reveal & revel. Just with the bottle. Nothing else.

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Red was 115E in Irish duty free. I can get it for 105 USD in St Maarten and sometimes for that little in France, certainly no more than 105E. We are in France enough that I'll use my Blue Points in Ireland and Red Points elsewhere. Yellow is circa 63E in Germany...I find to be super smooth, light & mellow with respectable flavor. But probably not such that I'd buy it again given how much more I like the Red & Blue. And Redbreast CS, you guys were, umm, Spot on about it.

I will have a reveal party on the surprise bottle. Are we still allowed to do that for babies & gender? Or do we have to wait until they are 13 and fully equipped to decide such heretofore biological matters for themselves, with the assistance of benevolent "educators"?  Oops, wrong part of the forum for that sort of talk. I didn't write it. Nope. Just the part about the bottle. Yup. Will reveal & revel. Just with the bottle. Nothing else.

I see and that makes sense.  That's great that you have such a good source for the Red Spot.  I agree that while Yellow Spot is nice, there is little reason to buy it when you can get Red and Blue for good prices.  In fact, I personally would purchase Powers John's Lane 12 yo over Yellow Spot anyway.  Both are made at Midleton distillery but the Powers JL12 is significantly less money and the taste is quite close .  Close enough for my palate anyway.  YMMV.

And yes, Redbreast 12CS kinda makes all these other bottles a moot point, but we still love to experience all the different variations anyway.

Looking forward to your "reveal" bottle!  :- )

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 4:34 PM, Kepler said:

Picked up some local goodies while in Ireland. 😁 🇮🇪

20230905_175504.thumb.jpg.8be7116777c220b9196088a6f0e37e8b.jpg

I bet the Powers 15 is amazing.

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2023 at 9:50 PM, Kepler said:

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Catching up, how was the Powers 15?

On 12/8/2023 at 1:26 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Catching up, how was the Powers 15?

I haven't even opened it yet.  I want to.  But first I think I'll crack the RB27 I picked up at the same time.  I'll be sure to post my thoughts when I try either of these.

• I like it 1