Weller in Ohio, anyone?

Thomm
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have read in these pages varying accounts of the availability of Weller in Ohio. If I'm not mistaken, I have inferred that WSR is findable, while other iterations are very much not so. 

My specific question is this: is WSR available in the Dayton area?  My wife and I are returning from South Carolina through NC, VA, WV, and Ohio late this week, and I wouldn't mind picking some up since I haven't yet found any in my neck of the woods, even at tater prices. 

The Google map route shows us coming up on Hwy 35 into Dayton, and then West on 70 toward Indianapolis, if that helps. Thanks!

• I like it 1

let someone chime in with more recent info than I have, but last I was there (dec) it was all state liquor games just like NC.  Lines of bourbon bros waiting for stores to open. 

• I like it 2

There an OHLQ reddit that has good comments day-by-day.  Google those two terms and it'll come right up.  I'd read a month's worth of the "daily comments" to detect the patterns.

When something drops, if you show up at opening time (which I do, I won't wait in line), the taters sweep everything up.  The consolation prize is usually WSR or BT.  It was everywhere in Ohio last week.  If you happen to be in OH a Saturday, hit the Giant Eagles.  They all drop on Saturday and there's usually lots of WSR.  Map it out, you can hit stores all along 70 and not just in Dayton.  When I or friends/family go looking for things, they often end up with a WSR consolation prize bottle.  I've accumulated 4 dozen or so that way, will probably gift or trade them by the case.

Most places limit WSR to 1 bottle per customer.  Mr. G's in Cambridge (right off of 70) had cases of it so they were not limiting purchase numbers as of a week ago.  If you call ahead to places on your route, they'll tell you if they have SR, BT, etc.  I'd ask about those specifically and then ask what other "allocated 1-per-person" bottles they have.  You'll be surprised at what is deemed "rare" (e.g., WTRB, AE, etc.).  The OHLQ website is not accurate with those bottles or anything else allocated/rare.  

A107 used to be pretty easy to get.  I haven't seen/heard of it or other Wellers being in the wild in Ohio for some time now.  But lots of WSR & nearly as much BT.

Let us know how it goes.  $24 per bottle with taxes.

Note:  Not every GE sells hard liquor.  The OHLQ website is accurate as to which ones do/do not.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 3

WSR can generally be found  pretty much every store gets it in and it sits for a couple of days on shelves.  OWA comes in most the time but you have to be there for the delivery

• I like it 3

You should be able to find WSR  but it will probably be a limit of one bottle.  The 107 has been hit or miss I picked up a couple bottles last week but you just never know.  This is in the Toledo area if it helps.

• I like it 2

Thanks for your replies!  I will check a few stores along the route with the OHLQ website and give them some phone calls to double check.  If we find some, my better half can purchase a second.  I wonder if they will allow this guy to buy one?

IMG_20210723_064405.jpg

• I like it 5

I was in OH a week ago. WSR was pretty much everywhere with no limits that I saw. I could have bought cases of it.

For OWA, I used OHLQ site to varying degrees of success. I know some stores had to be lying mostly by the way they answered. I would second the suggestion to map out Giant Eagle stores, especially on a Saturday morning. One store had enough that it lasted through mid day Sunday.

20220814_234551.jpg

• I like it 2

10 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I wonder if they will allow this guy to buy one?

IMG_20210723_064405.jpg

Awww!!  You can try but they wouldn't let this girl buy any. 😛

20220813_111402.jpg

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

I was in OH a week ago. WSR was pretty much everywhere with no limits that I saw. I could have bought cases of it.

For OWA, I used OHLQ site to varying degrees of success. I know some stores had to be lying mostly by the way they answered. I would second the suggestion to map out Giant Eagle stores, especially on a Saturday morning. One store had enough that it lasted through mid day Sunday.

20220814_234551.jpg

Nice haul on the A107!

• I like it 1

Oddly, she does not like whiskey. Her two Collie predecessors liked Scotch, appropriately enough.  Means more for me, I suppose.

Collie Girl.jpg

• I like it 5

Reminds me of when I was a kid. We played a lot of basketball at a court in a local apartment complex. One older guy, Bob, (who had a nice looking daughter our age 😯) used to occasionally invite a few of us in to his apartment to have a cold drink. He’d have a Budweiser. His pet Snauser “Skeetch” liked Bud too. He’d sit on his hind leg and beg for a drink. Bob would hold out the can, his dog would then get up on his hind legs and would actually cradle the can in between his paws and have a few slurps. When he was done, he’d lick his jowls, clean his paws then head over to his pillow and lay down and go to sleep. This never failed to bring a smile to our faces. 🐶 🍺

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Let me close out this topic on a high note. Weller Special Reserve was purchased at Smith's Liquor in Smithville, just outside the city of Dayton. It was listed "in stock" on the OHLQ website, but I was skeptical. Was not on the shelves, so I asked the nice lady behind the counter, and she told me, "This stuff generally goes out the door as soon as we get it in," and reached into a case at her feet which contained four remaining bottles. I was able to purchase only one, $24.71 with tax, and didn't send my wife (or my dog) in for another. I think if they had had OA 107, I would have gotten a second. For me, the whole point of this exercise is to try some of these bourbons that I just don't see in my region. I am also finding it fun to do a little hunting.  

So I once again thank all of you for your suggestions.  Didn't get a Golden Ticket, but I did get a Green Bottle!  

• I like it 6

Reasonable price. In my neck of the woods, this is top shelf with a $200-$300 tag on it and it just sits and collects dust.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.