Wheaters (Continued)

Anwalt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw a nice thread from June 4, 2021 titled Wheated Bourbon Recommendations:

I made a summary of opinions and had a few questions & comments mixed in there

•    10y Rebel – very good

•    Regular 100 proof Rebel – good

•    Rebel Distillers Collection (113 pr) – very good

•    MM CS and 101 very good, especially for the price

o    Which MM iterations beyond CS/101 are worth it?
o    I really liked the 2021 FAE-1, still have one left and an FAE-2 as well
o    Has anyone tried MM “Honeysuckle Breeze” Barrel Select from TW, $70?  Better enough than CS/101 to be worth it?  In could not find much in the way of reviews.  Not sure which of the myriad iterations are worthwhile.  Did get one from the distillery a few years ago called cinnamon bun or some such – it was really good, smooth & sweet as the name would imply
o    Ditto MM Private Barrel Select, $70, TW, image attached.
o    Note:  I’m finding that I’m not really a proof hound.  A lot of the high-proof stuff just ends up with a big, square block of ice in it to cool it down.  Experimenting as to “when to pull the ice” has been fun.  But I’m fine with 80 – 100 all day long for neat sipping.

•    David Nicholson 1843 – Very Good

•    Larceny BP and non-BP Store Picks – can be very good
o    Regular Larceny – not so much

o    What about non-store pick Larceny BP?

•    McKenzie’s wheated bourbon – very good (with one not so much via K&L, perhaps a bad batch)

•    Weller: Dunno why, SR does not do much for me.  I greatly prefer the A107
o    Tried FP & 12 once, liked 12 a bit better
o    Have FP’s now so I can repeat compare to A107’s
o    Not worth the hassle to try & obtain other Weller in this environment

•    Berheim (not bourbon) – meh, good for some blending

•    Wilderness Trail – 1 vote in favor on thread.  I personally did not care for it, found it young & raw at a recent distillery tasting.

•    Old Fitz 8 & 9 very good, evidently not easy to get
•    Frey Ranch - I’d like to hear more.  Looks like K&L has some store picks

•    Dry Fly 9Y SiB – not a bourbon nor mentioned in the thread.  I really liked it.

Unrelated bonus question:  Has anyone tried the 4R OBSK BS SiBS from TW (Warehouse TN, Barrel 85-4F), $90?  A friend is able to pick a few up now before I’m in Houston later this month.

MM PBS.webp

• I like it 3

I dont know if its psychological but its  W12 and OWA then MM for me. The Dry Fly CS was as you know a nice surprise .. smoother than a 140 proofer should be and very affordable for what it is. No complaints and i think it will get more love as more people try it.  I was told that the Davidson wheated (out of Nashville) is well worth a look earlier today. Didnt sample, had too much to get accomplished. 

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Weller’s and Maker’s for me

Any thoughts on "which Makers above CS/101, if any, are worth the extra freight?".

Weller...yes, we know who da ho's are; even by the standards of their trade they, umm, stand out.  😉   I'd ask more as to Weller, but it'd be an impractical question.  As a practical matter, I can get SR (blech!), A107 (I like it quite a lot), and FP (still making up my mind on it, do not yet dislike or love it, need to try it a few more times) at reasonable-ish prices.  The one time I tried 12 vs FP I prefered the 12.  But that was one time.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I dont know if its psychological but its  W12 and OWA then MM for me.

I think a lot of this is psychological.  Trying to get my brain to work around that...but "psychological" lives in my brain, so not sure how I'm doing with that.

MM for me.

Same question I asked Joe:  Any thoughts on "which Makers above CS/101, if any, are worth the extra freight"?

The Dry Fly CS was as you know a nice surprise .. smoother than a 140 proofer should be and very affordable for what it is. No complaints and i think it will get more love as more people try it.

Agreed.  And thanks for setting me onto that particular vice, for it was you who did so.  Blame/credit should be clearly given to the responsible parties.

I was told that the Davidson wheated (out of Nashville) is well worth a look earlier today.

Sounds like I need to try and perhaps buy on my upcoming trip over that way.  Any particular place I should get it?  Last time in Nashville I learned the correlation between "I can see a lot of young ladies in cowboy boots & cowboy-ish hats & short skirts" and "nearby bourbon is gonna cost ya".

• I like it 1

No blame or credit accepted. I dont want that on me. 😅 I’ll see who might have the Davidsons available. Its about $43. 
The W12 is pretty close to perfect. The Full Proof I’ll agree is hit or miss. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Any thoughts on "which Makers above CS/101, if any, are worth the extra freight?".

When you're dealing with the versions of MM that are finished with the different wood stave combinations, the possible outcomes are such, have to take on a case by case basis.

The cask strength version of Maker's 46 seemed to get positive reviews around here.

One time I heard a story about a guy sent a 1950s bottle of Old Fitz to MM.  He asked them to try and match this with their stave program.  I don't know how close they got.  I would have liked to sample, and know what combination of wood. 

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, PaulO said:

One time I heard a story about a guy sent a 1950s bottle of Old Fitz to MM.  He asked them to try and match this with their stave program.  I don't know how close they got.  I would have liked to sample, and know what combination of wood. 

Ooh, I'm seriously with that.  Might be worth hiring a Russian (oops, sorry, Ukrainian, Polish, etc.) hacker to get in and find out.

PS:  Dear Federal Overlords - that was a joke.  A naughty one, so my social credit score (such as it is) clearly needs demerits.  But no crime here, thank you.

11 minutes ago, PaulO said:

The cask strength version of Maker's 46 seemed to get positive reviews around here.

I will need to compare it in a tasting to regular CS, regular 46, and FAE-1 & 2.

• I like it 1

To clarify with Maker's, the only "regular" versions are the standard 90 proof, the 101, and the cask strength. The rest (the 46, 46 CS, private selections, and wood finishing series) are all aged in the second barrel with the various stave combinations. For the standard bourbon, the 101 is the best to me, as I did not love the bottle of CS I drank.

While a few of the Old Fitzgerald BiB decanters are good (even great), I think overall Heaven Hill's wheated bourbon is largely disappointing. I have had some Rebel Yell 10 single barrels that were good, but I'm not sure Lux's own wheated distillate is far enough along to make a determination.

1792 Sweet Wheat is an inoffensive easy drinker, but the hype/price markup on it is ridiculous.

Weller is, as you say, an impractical discussion in most areas. The 12 and Antique are both good and some picks of the Full Proof can be quite good. The WLW is one of the best regularly produced bourbons you will find, if you can find it at a tolerable price.

MGP makes wheated bourbon and I would think the Redemption wheated bourbon is MGP.

• I like it 3

I forgot to add, some guys in a pick group I’m in got to try some 8 year wheated bourbon at Wilderness Trail on a walk through the rickhouse and said it was fantastic.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I forgot to add, some guys in a pick group I’m in got to try some 8 year wheated bourbon at Wilderness Trail on a walk through the rickhouse and said it was fantastic.

It is, however I feel it's got some bite if drank neat.  I like it with a block of ice or proofed down a bit.  Of course that's just me as I have found that around 90proof is my jam!

• I like it 2

I prefer OWA and W12 to just about everything...but we all know how challenging it is to find those.

Recently, a buddy gifted me a bottle of David Nicholson 1843 and said, "I know how much you love W12, give this a try."  Well, I'm not saying that it's a dead ringer for W12, because it isn't...but I was really shocked how good it is.

Cheers!

14 hours ago, Jazz June said:

To clarify with Maker's, the only "regular" versions are the standard 90 proof, the 101, and the cask strength. The rest (the 46, 46 CS, private selections, and wood finishing series) are all aged in the second barrel with the various stave combinations. For the standard bourbon, the 101 is the best to me, as I did not love the bottle of CS I drank.

While a few of the Old Fitzgerald BiB decanters are good (even great), I think overall Heaven Hill's wheated bourbon is largely disappointing. I have had some Rebel Yell 10 single barrels that were good, but I'm not sure Lux's own wheated distillate is far enough along to make a determination.

1792 Sweet Wheat is an inoffensive easy drinker, but the hype/price markup on it is ridiculous.

Weller is, as you say, an impractical discussion in most areas. The 12 and Antique are both good and some picks of the Full Proof can be quite good. The WLW is one of the best regularly produced bourbons you will find, if you can find it at a tolerable price.

MGP makes wheated bourbon and I would think the Redemption wheated bourbon is MGP.

Jazz June, thank for taking the time.  I invariably find your comments to be detailed, considered, and useful.

Sounds like MM private selections & wood finishing series require lots of experimentation & time due to sheer variability.  Given other options, I think that'll be towards the bottom of my wheated priority list.  That, and I'm pleased with those FAE's.

I like the Rebel 10, still deciding where it fits in the wheat pantheon.  I recently acquired a 1792 Wheat at MSRP, looking forward to trying it once it finds its way to PR.  Wouldn't mind getting some W12, not in a hurry.

I have not heard much about Redemption.  TW pushes it pretty hard, makes me a bit suspicious.  

Thanks again for your comments.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I'll have to try again.  Had a taste at the distillery.  Felt young, raw & hot. But just one taste, and neither an 8-year nor a pick.

4 hours ago, Bourbon Scout said:

It is, however I feel it's got some bite if drank neat.  I like it with a block of ice or proofed down a bit.  Of course that's just me as I have found that around 90proof is my jam!

I tend to do the same, and to about the same proof.  I do try & compare the higher proofs neat and then experiment with the big block.

Of all of them, I have found the ECBP one that I can drink neat.  I also find that it loses its wonderful density if iced much.  

I am amazed at those can drink & enjoy the JDSiBBP neat.  I'd personally fear loss of lining throughout the alimentary canal.

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Recently, a buddy gifted me a bottle of David Nicholson 1843 and said, "I know how much you love W12, give this a try."  Well, I'm not saying that it's a dead ringer for W12, because it isn't...but I was really shocked how good it is.

Looks like that definitely a bottle to pick up Nashville.  Thanks for further confirmation of "worth trying".

I thankfully have a bit of OWA and family in Ohio periodically find a bottle.  W12 not so much.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

I'll have to try again.  Had a taste at the distillery.  Felt young, raw & hot. But just one taste, and neither an 8-year nor a pick.

I tend to do the same, and to about the same proof.  I do try & compare the higher proofs neat and then experiment with the big block.

Of all of them, I have found the ECBP one that I can drink neat.  I also find that it loses its wonderful density if iced much.  

I am amazed at those can drink & enjoy the JDSiBBP neat.  I'd personally fear loss of lining throughout the alimentary canal.

The Wilderness Trail wheated bourbon I have tried from a bottle was 4 years old so that 8 year was significantly older. They just released an 8 year bourbon but I believe it was their high rye bourbon recipe.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

Jazz June, thank for taking the time.  I invariably find your comments to be detailed, considered, and useful.

Sounds like MM private selections & wood finishing series require lots of experimentation & time due to sheer variability.  Given other options, I think that'll be towards the bottom of my wheated priority list.  That, and I'm pleased with those FAE's.

I like the Rebel 10, still deciding where it fits in the wheat pantheon.  I recently acquired a 1792 Wheat at MSRP, looking forward to trying it once it finds its way to PR.  Wouldn't mind getting some W12, not in a hurry.

I have not heard much about Redemption.  TW pushes it pretty hard, makes me a bit suspicious.  

Thanks again for your comments.

I have tried a dozen or so Maker's Mark private selections, the regular 46, and several of the wood finishing series. Some were good, some were so-so. Mostly, I don't have a good handle on the staves such that I can anticipate whether I will like a particular combination or not. Some friends with good palates love the private selections and wood finishing series though.

Redemption is an NDP that has bottled a lot of MGP bourbon and rye. They aren't a Total Wine owned brand, but may have some financially advantageous deal with TW. I have limited experience with their higher aged BP products and have not been impressed. But no experience with the wheated, which is a medium priced bourbon IIRC (looks like $48 at TW).

Willett distills a wheated bourbon and just put out an 8 year small batch bottling of it. Very expensive and hard to get, I'm sure some early reviews can be found online. I like Willett, but am not nearly caught up enough in the hype to pay the price for this.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

The Wilderness Trail wheated bourbon I have tried from a bottle was 4 years old so that 8 year was significantly older. They just released an 8 year bourbon but I believe it was their high rye bourbon recipe.

Yup, high rye.  Tried it at the distillery.  It was good, but not $80 good.  For the same $$$ I'd much prefer ECBP.  Not totally apples to apples, but still.

Thanks again for the comments; they make sense.  Turns out I have a Redemption wheated I'll have to try, bought it a few years ago.  Agree on higher-end Willett stuff, I'm not willing to pay secondary for it...though what I have tried is very good, just not that good.  And Makers....well, when I have a lot of time and liver capacity.

• I like it 1

WLW, OWA, W12, M101, MM46 CS, MM in that order.

I believe we will see more options over time as craft distillers continue to ramp up wheated bourbon production.  Given its popularity, I am not certain why the majors don't make more wheated bourbon.  Maybe they are but are waiting for it to hit the optimal age.  I recall Pappy and Bill Samuels opted to produce wheated bourbon because they believed it produced more flavorable bourbon at a younger age.  That hasn't been my experienced.  I enjoy some rye bourbons in the 4 to 5 year old range while I have yet to find a wheated bourbon under 6 years old that I enjoy.

I really don't care for the various MM46 PS except when the staves are all MM46 staves.  Those can be stellar.  The others can be good but you don't know unless you can try them first.  Comparing MM only,  I prefer MM101, MM46 CS, FAE1 and 2, MM and MMCS in order.  I had a few of the FAE1 and 2 and they took a while to figure out but once I did, I wish I have bought more.

• I like it 2

My relationship with wheaters began a little over 30 years ago. It’s 50 years if you count my occasional underage drinking of Rebel Yell as a teenager.🤫

In 1991, we had to go to my hometown of Beech Grove, Indiana to take care of some business. We decided to combine business with pleasure. After our stop in Beech Grove, we headed down to Kentucky for vacation. We went to Mammoth Cave a couple of days, stopped at Crystal Onyx Cave, and visited the Lincoln sites. We had some time one day and stopped to look at the brochures in the lobby of the hotel we were staying at. Right there up front in the rack was a pamphlet for Maker’s Mark.  Hmmmmm. ^_^ We decided to take a look see. Beautiful place with really friendly people. We went on a tour. When we got to the fermenter room and still house, my wife and son had to leave the tour and go outside because the smell made them nauseous. I thought I was in Heaven. 😇  I would have tried a sample or bought a bottle right then and there, but back then the whole area was “dry”. The only thing you could buy or try was bourbon balls. 🙃 I did buy a bottle of MM not long after we got home. For the next umpteen years, it was a bottle of Crown Royal for Xmas, and a bottle of MM for my birthday. 

In 2007, my wife had a week of vacation she had to use by the end of September or she would lose it. She perused the internet to try and find something for us to do. She found this thing, again in Kentucky, called The Kentucky Bourbon Festival 🤔 I had vacation time available, so off we went to Kentucky once again. We revisited MM, attended a MM Ambassador event, went to Jim Beam, and stopped at BT. The rest as they say, is history. I found SB, and got to know and even meet some members here. There were more visits to Kentucky. I  toured other distilleries. I became more familiar with the people and places in “The Motherland”. Most especially, the folks at BT. 😎 

After that visit to Kentucky in 2007, I was on a mission to find other bourbons to drink. A friend recommended I try a liquor store about a half hour away. I went there and was perusing the bourbon aisle. A guy came up and asked if I needed some help. It turns out he was the store manager. I explained I was just at the KBF, and was looking to try some more bourbons. He asked what bourbon(s) I currently drank. I told him MM. He motioned for me to follow him into the back room. We sat at a small table and he grabbed a 50 ml of Jim Beam off a shelf. He opened it and we tasted it. He then grabbed a 50 ml of MM. He opened it and we tasted it. So far so good. He then grabbed an open Weller 12 from another shelf. He opened it and we had a taste. He asked me how I liked it. My ear to ear smile said it all. It was at that moment I started down the road to becoming a Weller Whore. I bought two bottles of Weller 12 right then and there, and I’ve never looked back. 

Since then, I’ve had bottles of Weller Centennial, Weller SR, Weller Antique, Weller 12, Weller Full Proof, and several private selections of each of those iterations. I’ve had numerous years of the William Larue Weller. I’ve had Weller Single Barrel, and Weller Create Your Perfect Bourbon too. I’ve also been known to blend some Weller’s from time to time. 😜 There’s a time, mood and place for ‘em all. Truth be told, if I had the happenstance and wherewithal, I’d probably buy a boat load of SR, 12 and Antique and make up a crap ton of my 2018 and 2021 Weller Blends. 😉 As I typed this, I had some 2021 Weller Blend in my glass. Ahhhhhh. :P

Biba! Joe

image.gif.cb92ae8b2e5a5a6589106b1a0c90050f.gif

Weller recommendations and observations: Weller SR for a everyday drinker. Antique and 12 for semi-regular pours. All the others I would list as semi-special to special occasion pours. Of course the William Larue Weller is pretty much in a class all by itself. To be honest, the only Weller I haven’t really cared much for, and would avoid in the future is the Weller Single Barrel. A fellow member sent me a sample, and I had a bottle of my own. The sample was only just slightly better than the bottle I bought, but both were different for sure, and not in a good way. There was something odd and off about both. 

Maker’s Mark recommendations and observations: MM and MM 101 for everyday pours. I have no problem with the 46 nor any of the Cask Strength iterations that I’ve had. All were okay. I can say the same about the few private selections, and other different MM bottlings I’ve had. The only Maker’s I didn’t really care much for was the FAE-02. I tried a few small pours and just couldn’t figure it out. I gave most of the bottle to @Galvin0791

• I like it 8

25 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My relationship with wheaters began a little over 30 years ago. It’s 50 years if you count my occasional underage drinking of Rebel Yell as a teenager.🤫

In 1991, we had to go to my hometown of Beech Grove, Indiana to take care of some business. We decided to combine business with pleasure. After our stop in Beech Grove, we headed down to Kentucky for vacation. We went to Mammoth Cave a couple of days, stopped at Crystal Onyx Cave, and visited the Lincoln sites. We had some time one day and stopped to look at the brochures in the lobby of the hotel we were staying at. Right there up front in the rack was a pamphlet for Maker’s Mark.  Hmmmmm. ^_^ We decided to take a look see. Beautiful place with really friendly people. We went on a tour. When we got to the fermenter room and still house, my wife and son had to leave the tour and go outside because the smell made them nauseous. I thought I was in Heaven. 😇  I would have tried a sample or bought a bottle right then and there, but back then the whole area was “dry”. The only thing you could buy or try was bourbon balls. 🙃 I did buy a bottle of MM not long after we got home. For the next umpteen years, it was a bottle of Crown Royal for Xmas, and a bottle of MM for my birthday. 

In 2007, my wife had a week of vacation she had to use by the end of September or she would lose it. She perused the internet to try and find something for us to do. She found this thing, again in Kentucky, called The Kentucky Bourbon Festival 🤔 I had vacation time available, so off we went to Kentucky once again. We revisited MM, attended a MM Ambassador event, went to Jim Beam, and stopped at BT. The rest as they say, is history. I found SB, and got to know and even meet some members here. There were more visits to Kentucky. I  toured other distilleries. I became more familiar with the people and places in “The Motherland”. Most especially, the folks at BT. 😎 

After that visit to Kentucky in 2007, I was on a mission to find other bourbons to drink. A friend recommended I try a liquor store about a half hour away. I went there and was perusing the bourbon aisle. A guy came up and asked if I needed some help. It turns out he was the store manager. I explained I was just at the KBF, and was looking to try some more bourbons. He asked what bourbon(s) I currently drank. I told him MM. He motioned for me to follow him into the back room. We sat at a small table and he grabbed a 50 ml of Jim Beam off a shelf. He opened it and we tasted it. He then grabbed a 50 ml of MM. He opened it and we tasted it. So far so good. He then grabbed an open Weller 12 from another shelf. He opened it and we had a taste. He asked me how I liked it. My ear to ear smile said it all. It was at that moment I started down the road to becoming a Weller Whore. I bought two bottles of Weller 12 right then and there, and I’ve never looked back. 

Since then, I’ve had bottles of Weller Centennial, Weller SR, Weller Antique, Weller 12, Weller Full Proof, and several private selections of each of those iterations. I’ve had numerous years of the William Larue Weller. I’ve had Weller Single Barrel, and Weller Create Your Perfect Bourbon too. I’ve also been known to blend some Weller’s from time to time. 😜 There’s a time, mood and place for ‘em all. Truth be told, if I had the happenstance and wherewithal, I’d probably buy a boat load of SR, 12 and Antique and make up a crap ton of my 2018 and 2021 Weller Blends. 😉 As I typed this, I had some 2021 Weller Blend in my glass. Ahhhhhh. :P

Biba! Joe

image.gif.cb92ae8b2e5a5a6589106b1a0c90050f.gif

Weller recommendations and observations: Weller SR for a everyday drinker. Antique and 12 for semi-regular pours. All the others I would list as semi-special to special occasion pours. Of course the William Larue Weller is pretty much in a class all by itself. To be honest, the only Weller I haven’t really cared much for, and would avoid in the future is the Weller Single Barrel. A fellow member sent me a sample, and I had a bottle of my own. The sample was only just slightly better than the bottle I bought, but both were different for sure, and not in a good way. There was something odd and off about both. 

Maker’s Mark recommendations and observations: MM and MM 101 for everyday pours. I have no problem with the 46 nor any of the Cask Strength iterations that I’ve had. All were okay. I can say the same about the few private selections, and other different MM bottlings I’ve had. The only Maker’s I didn’t really care much for was the FAE-02. I tried a few small pours and just couldn’t figure it out. I gave most of the bottle to @Galvin0791

Two awesome shares from @fishnbowljoe this weekend.  This post and the FR's post in the BF lottery thread both brought smiles to my face. They reflect what the bourbon hobby and bourbon journey are all about.  Friendship, enjoyment, and memories.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 5

Berheim as a total pass, after being quite excited to get it, I gave the bottle away. 

MM was also a let down,  MM 46 was pretty good, but I don't think I will pick up another bottle.

About a decade ago, I ordered a case of W12 from Specs to be shipped to a state that no longer allows such deliveries.  I think it came to $35 a bottle including shipping.  My expectations were quite high. but sadly I was underwhelmed.  At a certain point I sold most of the case to some pals as the actual value of the Weller was much higher than I gave it.  They also enjoyed it a great deal.

WSR was kinda blah.  Very expensive now, which is kinda funny to me. I can buy bottles of ER10 for ~$10 less than WSR over here, haha.

2013ish Old Fitz BiB was the best wheater I have had.  It was not particularly complex, but it was very well integrated and delicious.  I should have ordered more than the 1 bottle...  Flash to bang time was a bit staggered, so I by the time I realized this, there was no more to be had.    

At this point, where I am now and where I sometimes am, wheaters are scarce and overpriced.  If some non-usury NCF wheaters pop up, I'd give em a go.  

Several people in this thread think highly of MM 101.  I think I just saw a bottle in a local non-USA shop.  Hmmmm, need to call them for a price.

(Heretical- I have a toasted oak cube in my only remaining bottle of W12, it is now much better).

Edited by Erk Russel Reserve
Forgot about WSR
  • I like it 1

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

WLW, OWA, W12, M101, MM46 CS, MM in that order.

I believe we will see more options over time as craft distillers continue to ramp up wheated bourbon production.  Given its popularity, I am not certain why the majors don't make more wheated bourbon.  Maybe they are but are waiting for it to hit the optimal age.  I recall Pappy and Bill Samuels opted to produce wheated bourbon because they believed it produced more flavorable bourbon at a younger age.  That hasn't been my experienced.  I enjoy some rye bourbons in the 4 to 5 year old range while I have yet to find a wheated bourbon under 6 years old that I enjoy.

I really don't care for the various MM46 PS except when the staves are all MM46 staves.  Those can be stellar.  The others can be good but you don't know unless you can try them first.  Comparing MM only,  I prefer MM101, MM46 CS, FAE1 and 2, MM and MMCS in order.  I had a few of the FAE1 and 2 and they took a while to figure out but once I did, I wish I have bought more.

Mbroo, thanks for taking the time.  Interesting, OWA before W12.  I haven't compared them, I'll need to do that once I get a W12 at a reasonable mark up.  Ditto MM101 vs FAE's, I can compare those now.

I'll be curious to see if & when some NDP's fall prey to creative destruction and shut down.  The up side, as you mentioned, is some of them should & shall do very well indeed.  Resulting in some nice bottles, particularly as their own distillate comes to market.  At BBC's Thieving the Barrel, we got to try their 6y wheated & high rye bourbons as well as their rye-rye. They were all very good, I will be happy to buy from them.

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My relationship with wheaters began a little over 30 years ago.

Umm, Wow.  The whole thing, didn't want to quote it all & create scrolling arthritis for readers.

First, thanks for the detailed info.  I need to work on some of those blends.  And see if I can bring myself to like the WSR in some form.  I think the OWA is miles ahead of it.  

I only have one trip to KY under my belt.  It was a very "mini" version of what you described.  Learned a bunch.  Met some stellar people (including a couple like your store manager, they sure like to share in KY), the sort I generally meet when shooting.  Had awesome guidance from 4 buddies (3 of whom I met on this forum) and met a bunch of fun & interesting people all over the place - they are just everywhere.

All while popping a lot of bourbon cherries.  I guess if you do that a lot...you become a whore of sorts?  And those of us who will do what it takes for certain preferences (Cough, cough Weller cough) very specific sorts of whores?

I look forward to learning what I'd pimp myself out for and appreciate your help in that regard!

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Erk Russel Reserve said:

Berheim as a total pass, after being quite excited to get it, I gave the bottle away. 

MM was also a let down,  MM 46 was pretty good, but I don't think I will pick up another bottle.

About a decade ago, I ordered a case of W12 from Specs to be shipped to a state that no longer allows such deliveries.  I think it came to $35 a bottle including shipping.  My expectations were quite high. but sadly I was underwhelmed.  At a certain point I sold most of the case to some pals as the actual value of the Weller was much higher than I gave it.  They also enjoyed it a great deal.

WSR was kinda blah.  Very expensive now, which is kinda funny to me. I can buy bottles of ER10 for ~$10 less than WSR over here, haha.

2013ish Old Fitz BiB was the best wheater I have had.  It was not particularly complex, but it was very well integrated and delicious.  I should have ordered more than the 1 bottle...  Flash to bang time was a bit staggered, so I by the time I realized this, there was no more to be had.    

At this point, where I am now and where I sometimes am, wheaters are scarce and overpriced.  If some non-usury NCF wheaters pop up, I'd give em a go.  

Several people in this thread think highly of MM 101.  I think I just saw a bottle in a local non-USA shop.  Hmmmm, need to call them for a price.

(Heretical- I have a toasted oak cube in my only remaining bottle of W12, it is now much better).

Erk RR, thanks for taking the time & sharing.

I have a Bernheim to try, we'll see how it goes.  Worst case, I know a bunch of college students who'll put paid to it.

I'm with you on WSR.  But I have also noticed that my palate is still undeveloped and subject to change.  What I like and don't like (or think I like/don't like) is evolving.  Part of the fun.

Old Fitz...I do not hold out much hope.  If a family member wins one in the OH lottery, then perhaps.  But good to know, many here have pretty consistently favored it.  I suppose that's why it, the various Wellers, etc. have commanded the premiums that they do.

Interesting on the W12 and not what I'm used to hearing.  Makes me really want to get one and try it.  

A novel heresy (there's plenty of that here, see the blends), I did not know toasted oak cubes existed.  One more variation to try and take into account.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.