Your opinions on Statesman

Thomm
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My favorite local purveyor of bad habits has recently procured this addition to their OF offerings.  I am a big fan of 1920, pretty sizeable fan of OF 100, and enjoy 1897 once in a while also. 

The price tag on Statesman here is nearly equal to 1920 (a little north of $50).  Specifically for those who particularly enjoy OF products, is it worth my while to sample a bottle of Statesman?  Am I better off buying another 1920 and skipping this altogether?  I will probably end up buying one eventually, but I still value your opinions, especially notes on what basic tasting notes you might have regarding this.  

• I like it 1

When it first came out, I shied away because of the price relative to proof and it was similarly priced to OF1920 which is a stellar whiskey. I also thought it was a little kitschy since it's release was associated with the Kingsman movie. 

I have been fortunate enough to pick it up regularly (3 to 4 times) a year at a local retailer's 30% off sale so my pretax price is usually around $38.  However, I can also pick up OF1920 for a similar price on sale at the same retailer.  

I really like it and believe it fills a nice niche in the OF lineup.   Based on price and proof, my first choice is OF100.  If I want something to warm me up on a cold winter night or want a flavorful hit of the OF profile with a little proof oomph then OF1920 is the choice.  If I want a nice, complex flavorful pour that is pleasing but doesn't knock my socks off with proof, then OF Statesman is a good option.  

I like it more than I thought I would and, as reflected above, it is my OF pour of choice on certain occasions.  It is really great as a dessert pour with family and friends after dinner when you don't plan to drink a lot of pours.  It goes well with pie or coffee cake.  

My recommendation is to give it a try.  

• I like it 3

I was fortunate enough to attend a Brown Forman earlier this year tasting that included all of the Whiskey Row series, plus OF 100 and Statesman.  I was unimpressed by Statesman.  My favorites are 1920, then 100 so maybe our palates are similar.  

• I like it 4

So, I tend to think that most OF products in that bottle style are somewhat overpriced.  All the dated ones, Single Barrels, Statesmen, etc.

Ignoring prices, statesmen will give you a different experience than 1920.  Not necessarily better or worse, just different.  It’s a great easy drinking fall pour, especially around the firepit 🔥.

I find the profile more caramel and vanilla forward than 1920.

• I like it 2

Tangentially, I will get up on one of my soapboxes for those of you who like OF 100 and suggest that if you ever run across one of the older bottles when they were labeled "Signature," to grab it.  I have only had one bottle, but it tasted older and more complex than the current 100.  Like a 100 honey barrel.  YMMV.

• I like it 3

I'll jump in as fanboy #2.  I think this is the best of the "new" OF premium lineup.  I also shied away initially due to the movie tie it.  But like the 101 is for Makers, I think this is the sweet spot of a distillery I've drank for a long time and didn't know I needed until it found me.  

• I like it 3

I love Statesman,  and have kept it around regularly since it first came out.    My last bottle, though, was a bit of a dud.

"Traditional" Statesman, to me, means a vanilla-bomb version of OF at what (for me) is a most agreeable proof.   I've been lately partial to 1897,  but I can see renewing my acquaintance.

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I love Statesman,  and have kept it around regularly since it first came out.    My last bottle, though, was a bit of a dud.

"Traditional" Statesman, to me, means a vanilla-bomb version of OF at what (for me) is a most agreeable proof.   I've been lately partial to 1897,  but I can see renewing my acquaintance.

I wouldn't call myself a "fanboy."  Besides, if I did, I would be down the pecking order based on the replies above.  🤪  Anyway, similar to you, while all previous bottles had been enjoyable, I found the last one to be a bit of a due.  I assumed it was my palate.  However, the next bottle might help in determining whether it was an off bottle or an off palate.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I avoided Statesman for quite awhile figuring it was mostly gimmick with the movie tie-in, but when I hit the new Main St distillery just after it opened it was on the tasting - then I was kicking myself for not giving it a whirl much earlier.  VERY different nose that any other OF variety IMHO, and overall very pleasing.  Haven't had it in awhile ($10-15 more @ here than at KY Total Wines) and other AR unobtainium options have bumped it from previous KY road trips, but just brought another back so will see if it's dropped some of my earlier perceived uniqueness.  

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

I honestly can't discern a whole lot of difference in the various non-age stated Old Forester straight bourbon expressions other than proof.  I figure they are all about 4-5 years old so I don't put much stock into variation.  It would be interesting to put that theory to a blind test by proofing down all the NAS variations to 86 proof and tasting them blind.  But I'll leave that to someone else because I'm not that curious.

• I like it 1

Disclaimer: The last (and only) bottle of Statesman I ever bought was way back when it was first introduced, and I was quite underwhelmed.    I was 'hoping' it might approach the profile of the (now supplanted) OF Signature, which I liked quite well; both for it's profile and it's price/value.    My bottle of Statesman was eventually used up in cocktails or highballs where it didn't offend as much.   ...All but the last couple pours.  Those went down the kitchen drain.

IMHO all of BF's entries/trials at replacement for OF Signature have, to varying degrees, been pale by comparison.   

Other than Early Times BIB, which I found excellent for it's bold profile and good value; also the one (of that series offering) I thought was well-done: 1920, Prohibition Style (115-proof).   The 1920 was very good; but, not in the same category for value at all.   I haven't tried all of the recent or 'new' offerings from BF.   I'm satisfied with my bunker of OF Signature and ET BIB.   

Note: my "acquisition" days or "try new stuff" days are in the rearview mirror, so BF, while not excelling during my late days of trying newbies, may well be offering better stuff now.   I can't really say.

• I like it 5

I bought a bottle of this to try, and have been sipping on it here and there.  It has a pleasant sweet somewhat fruity note with some oak in there, but nothing overly interesting or complex.  For the price there are many more tasty and interesting bottles including 1920, which kicks the crap out of it.

• I like it 1

Statesman is one of my favorite pours of the last year, or so.  Classic B-F flavor profile, and as Jazzhead describes, a big hit of vanilla.  I myself, definitely get more from the Statesman and the other bottles in the Whiskey Row series, than I do from the standard Old Foresters.  Particularly in Statesman’s case the flavors are amped up across the board, but where I really get more enjoyment from it and other WRS bottles is the thick and luxurious mouthfeel.  Much heavier across the palate than standard issues.  For instance OF 100 can a bit prickly, whereas the Whiskey Row bottles are like a silky syrup.  I’ve pretty much liked all of them, except the 1910.  

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Statesman is one of my favorite pours of the last year, or so.  Classic B-F flavor profile, and as Jazzhead describes, a big hit of vanilla.  I myself, definitely get more from the Statesman and the other bottles in the Whiskey Row series, than I do from the standard Old Foresters.  Particularly in Statesman’s case the flavors are amped up across the board, but where I really get more enjoyment from it and other WRS bottles is the thick and luxurious mouthfeel.  Much heavier across the palate than standard issues.  For instance OF 100 can a bit prickly, whereas the Whiskey Row bottles are like a silky syrup.  I’ve pretty much liked all of them, except the 1910.  

OF rotates their barrels,  and it's been said that the difference with Statesman is that it is batched from upper-floor barrels.    That suggests to me that Statesman may come from barrels that aren't rotated,  and stay put in the rafters. 

It would be nice to have  B-F articulate more precisely what it is trying to do with Statesman.   But it's a great bourbon,  and they've  kept it in production even after Elton John has retired.   It's scratching some folks'  itch.   Count me as one of them.      

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

But it's a great bourbon,  and they've  kept it in production even after Elton John has retired.   It's scratching some folks'  itch.   Count me as one of them.      

What does Elton John have to do with OF Statesman bourbon?

51 minutes ago, Kepler said:

What does Elton John have to do with OF Statesman bourbon?

He's in the movie.  He's Poppy's hostage,  hunted down by robotic dogs and forced to play piano.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

He's in the movie.  He's Poppy's hostage,  hunted down by robotic dogs and forced to play piano.  

Oh. I think even saw that movie and don't remember.  Not sure what that says about my memory, or the movie.  lol

On 1/14/2023 at 9:55 PM, Kepler said:

Oh. I think even saw that movie and don't remember.  Not sure what that says about my memory, or the movie.  lol

No, you just don’t remember anybody but Halle Berry…😂😂

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

No, you just don’t remember anybody but Halle Berry…😂😂

Halle Berry!  That just jogged my memory!  lol

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.