Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon

Anwalt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody tried it?  It's gotten good reviews for all that it's young.  That would not normally matter much to me except that my recollection is that Nancy was involved with it.  Given her touch with JMCB, other Things Nancy interest me.

I ask because I will be in Houston this weekend and it's easily available there.  

PS:  If anyone has recommendations of where to shop in Houston (specific locations if we are talking chains), I am all ears (OK, "eyes").  Comments welcome here or via PM.

Edited by Anwalt

It seems that bourbon shopping in Houston begins and ends at Spec’s, though there are many more.  If going to Houston, and if I had limited time, I’d forego the shopping and spend a few hours at Poison Girl, instead.  Great bar with friendly people and a great whiskey selection.  

• I like it 3

Specs should have Tom Moore BiB, which is a holdover cheap bonded whiskey from Barton. Not special but cheap and solid.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It seems that bourbon shopping in Houston begins and ends at Spec’s, though there are many more.  If going to Houston, and if I had limited time, I’d forego the shopping and spend a few hours at Poison Girl, instead.  Great bar with friendly people and a great whiskey selection.

I shall have to see if I can talk the people I'm with into it.  Thanks for the recommendation, it's close to where we'll be for much of the trip.

I did try a few pours these extra days in Nashville.  Dig the attached menu.  I thought the Elmer and the Stagg Jr well-priced.  Others must have agreed, as they were out of both.

I got the last pour of Hancock they had.  I liked it.  Though I found myself in the odd position of thinking "It's a bit weak".  Odd because I am (was?) used to lower proofs (Scotch & Irish whiskey at Dad's table) and the higher proofs have taken some getting used to.  I love the ECBP - I think the flavor is great and they nail the balance between "nicely viscous" and "I need asbestos dental implants" (I mean YOU JDSBBP neat-drinkers).

Tried the regular Stagg ($20, not on the menu, saw it behind the bar).  I loved, loved, loved it.

Tried Saz rye next day elsewhere.  It did not do much for me, maybe next time around.  Licorice is what I got.  But that's just a sample size of one, so we'll see how I like it next time.

Then tried the WT101, mentioned elsewhere on the forum.  Liked it.  Like WTRB & RRSiB better.  Indeed, I think they get the flavor, viscosity, and (lack of) burn right.  Easy to drink those neat.

And so I learn a bit here & a bit there.  Perhaps a bit in Houston.  Odds are we'll hit some bougie places with good pours...and perhaps Poison Girl if I can get a few people to go with.

Menu.jpg

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

Specs should have Tom Moore BiB

What do you think of the other Moore's?  I see them everywhere, with lots of variety.  Ditto the Penelopes million iterations, some of which are evidently sought after; can't tell if it's hype or reasoned.

I've learned to have a care with newer labels, both via people here and a little experience.  So trying those is low on the list of priorities with "getting used to the classics" higher on the list of things to do.

I'd note:  Up to about $100/bottle, I'm not that cost sensitive.  I do not drink a large volume (though it has grown) and only have "so much" luggage space to carry things.  Nor am I snob as to value, I grew up too Midwestern to disdain that.  I have a few friends who spend hundreds per bottle, I'm not there with one or two exceptions.  But if there's a discernible difference between, say, $25 and $50, I'll merrily pay the $50.  Granted, I am still learning to discern.  

23 hours ago, Anwalt said:

What do you think of the other Moore's?  I see them everywhere, with lots of variety.  Ditto the Penelopes million iterations, some of which are evidently sought after; can't tell if it's hype or reasoned.

I've learned to have a care with newer labels, both via people here and a little experience.  So trying those is low on the list of priorities with "getting used to the classics" higher on the list of things to do.

I'd note:  Up to about $100/bottle, I'm not that cost sensitive.  I do not drink a large volume (though it has grown) and only have "so much" luggage space to carry things.  Nor am I snob as to value, I grew up too Midwestern to disdain that.  I have a few friends who spend hundreds per bottle, I'm not there with one or two exceptions.  But if there's a discernible difference between, say, $25 and $50, I'll merrily pay the $50.  Granted, I am still learning to discern.  

There are very few finished American whiskeys that I like, so I have passed on all of the Thomas S. Moore releases. I don't think any of my bourbon friends have purchased them either, so no opinion here. Similarly, I have not had any of the Penelopes, but I believe it is sourced and I have other preferred sources for MGP bourbon and rye.

And you aren't missing much passing on the Tom Moore BiB, but I think a basic bottled in bond bourbon is a good starting point for exploring a distillery's offerings. 1792 BiB is pricier and can be hard to find and Very Old Barton's bonded version is no longer bonded, leaving the Tom Moore BiB as a nice cheap intro to Barton. But if you are generally buying in the $50-60 and up range, then yeah skip it for something else.

I used to say that any bourbon found on a regular shelf above $60 was probably not a good deal, but prices have crept up to where that number is probably $80. Either way, only a few limited editions are worth more than $100 a bottle in my opinion. And they aren't the kind likely to be found on a shelf at their already substantial MSRPs. So you are probably already in the good range price wise. I'd recommend bar pours of LEs to form an opinion on whether they are worth the significant bump in price and effort to obtain.

On 9/19/2022 at 8:40 AM, Anwalt said:

Anybody tried it?  It's gotten good reviews for all that it's young.  That would not normally matter much to me except that my recollection is that Nancy was involved with it.  Given her touch with JMCB, other Things Nancy interest me.

I ask because I will be in Houston this weekend and it's easily available there.  

PS:  If anyone has recommendations of where to shop in Houston (specific locations if we are talking chains), I am all ears (OK, "eyes").  Comments welcome here or via PM. 

I have the Still Austin Cask strength and really like it . 

• I like it 1

On 9/19/2022 at 8:42 AM, smokinjoe said:

👆👆👆

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.