The Next Gen. Bardstown Bourbon Co. Clone is being built virtually next door to me.

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not sure where to put this, so I thought I'd start here, and moderators can move it if they like.  Anyway, a couple of the folks involved in the establishment of Bardstown Bourbon Company (David Mandrell and John Hargrove) have apparently moved on from BBC and are now doing their own thing here in Hardin County.  They are building a new distillery ($72 million) literally a stone's throw from Cecilia where I live.  In a straight line my house is less than 6/10's of a mile from the site.  Here is a link to some news about it:  https://bourbonpursuit.com/2022/05/06/twib-72m-contract-facility-to-be-built-in-etown-ky-buffalo-trace-fights-backlash-of-local-residents-jack-daniels-reveals-2-new-line-extensions/    I just hope they have a restaurant similar to Bottle and Bond at BBC!!!

• I like it 3

59 minutes ago, Kyjd75 said:

Not sure where to put this, so I thought I'd start here, and moderators can move it if they like.  Anyway, a couple of the folks involved in the establishment of Bardstown Bourbon Company (David Mandrell and John Hargrove) have apparently moved on from BBC and are now doing their own thing here in Hardin County.  They are building a new distillery ($72 million) literally a stone's throw from Cecilia where I live.  In a straight line my house is less than 6/10's of a mile from the site.  Here is a link to some news about it:  https://bourbonpursuit.com/2022/05/06/twib-72m-contract-facility-to-be-built-in-etown-ky-buffalo-trace-fights-backlash-of-local-residents-jack-daniels-reveals-2-new-line-extensions/    I just hope they have a restaurant similar to Bottle and Bond at BBC!!!

Man that seems risky in the current environment. It (bourbon/spirits) is a super crowded space right now. What am i missing? Maybe $72 million isnt as much of a gamble to some people. 

This is turning out to be a bigger project than initially reported.  The Elizabethtown City Council yesterday approved Industrial Revenue Bonds in the amount of $395 Million rather than the $72 Million originally proposed.  Not surprised at that amount if they are going to duplicate BBC.  The size of the site on which dirt work is taking place right now is impressive.  This is not going to be a "mom and pop" operation, for sure.

BBC's business model is, to my knowledge, different from most in that most of their revenue comes from contract distilling for others.   They compete in MGP's space.   I guess Mandrell and Hargrove think there's still room in that space and that success requires substantial capacity.   And maybe that they can poach BBC's customers.

We met David Mandell when BBC graciously allowed SB to book a couple of tours there while the facility was still under construction. He seemed like a pretty decent guy. I know his position was part PR, but he had a way about him. Kinda like a doctor with a good bedside manner. When he greeted us, he didn’t talk to us like he was explaining something to a child, nor was he overly technical. Although, I believe he may have leaned slightly more to the technical side of things because he knew we were all bourbon geeks. 😚 Of course Steve Nally led the tours of the facility, and he just told it like it was. 😉

As an aside here, I know that Mandell is the Chairman of the KBF, but does anyone know if he’s still affiliated with Stoli/KentuckyOwl?

Biba! Joe

Hopefully they'll have an on-site restaurant that's as good as the one at BBC.  The food there is off the charts.  The whiskey ain't bad either😉

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Hopefully they'll have an on-site restaurant that's as good as the one at BBC.  The food there is off the charts.  The whiskey ain't bad either😉

I agree on both fronts!   BBC certainly started the "Napaifcation" trend on the trail.   I think the Beam restaurant and remodel, Heaven Hill upstairs bar, etc all potentially were a result of the BBC work.

• I like it 1

In addition to all of the work on visitor centers, another trend I have noticed is that distilleries are often holding back “special” bottles just for those who take tours. These bottles no longer are put out in the gift shops but held back for the tours, which I think is good. Obviously not everyone is doing this; see the lines in BT’s parking lot.

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

In addition to all of the work on visitor centers, another trend I have noticed is that distilleries are often holding back “special” bottles just for those who take tours. These bottles no longer are put out in the gift shops but held back for the tours, which I think is good. Obviously not everyone is doing this; see the lines in BT’s parking lot.

As well they should.

We've been to the Motherland a couple of times and toured a lot of distilleries, thankfully before the silly "standing in line" thing at BT.     We did notice, however, on our last trip, (April 2019),  that a few people were hanging out at the HH visitors center entrance, waiting for the gift shop to open and they raced to the counter, ostensibly to purchase "special" bottles.    I'm pretty sure that the folks at HH held some back because, after our tasting, they had a few bottles of  William Heavenhill 16 year and ECBP for sale.    The visitors center was okay, but I'm not a huge fan.  I prefer the distilleries.

30 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We did notice, however, on our last trip, (April 2019),  that a few people were hanging out at the HH visitors center entrance, waiting for the gift shop to open and they raced to the counter, ostensibly to purchase "special" bottles.    I'm pretty sure that the folks at HH held some back because, after our tasting, they had a few bottles of  William Heavenhill 16 year and ECBP for sale. 

HH definitely puts things in gift shop towards the end of tours.  Problem is they are put out in the gift shop where lurkers can snag them.  Ditto Knob Creek.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

HH definitely puts things in gift shop towards the end of tours.  Problem is they are put out in the gift shop where lurkers can snag them.  Ditto Knob Creek.

Darn those lurkers!  😏

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.