Best tasting inexpensive bourbon?

brian12069
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think Binny's is a big enough retailer to be able to get whatever it wants.

That's exactly what it is. Along those lines, Buffalo Trace is not in Illinois yet, but Sam's and Binny's have it.

I will state flat out that Very Old Barton is amongst the top 5 bourbons in America, at any price. That it is - so far - offered at a near bottom shelf price is an anomaly and rare boon for consumers.

Gary

Okay, this is the biggest surprise I've had since logging on to this site. The seemingly wide-spread appreciation for VOB. My first reaction is ...WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I've always considered VOB nearly intolorable. But I will admit that my opinion is based in large part on a few very bad college drinking experiences! I seem to remember something about half-pints of VOB chased with Big Red! HA! HA!

Seriously, this does make me want to give it another try. After all college has been more than a few years ago.

BourbonitisBlues

Try the Bottled-in-bond. You won't be disappointed. I would compare it favorably to Old Forester.

I'm in neither camp regarding VOB. I didn't care for it my first try, which was early on in my bourbon adventures. After reading the recent raves here, I figured I'd give it another think and purchased a liter of VOB BIB. I can drink it without hating it, but it doesn't send me into paroxysms of glee, either.

I'll continue to spend a little more for stuff I like better.

Also the other biggie online, Randalls (internetwine.com) has both and is located just east of St Louis in Illinois. As I say often though, they are VERY proud of most of their selections and you pay for it.

Must say I am jealous of people who are paying $12.99 for Buffalo Trace.

Chuck,

I believe Gary is once again touting the Montgomery County sale prices. This week you can get EVSB for $14.99 and WTRB for $22.95. That could qualify them for "best tasting bargain bourbons".

Otherwise I vote for Old Forester 100 and W.L. Weller 12.

you can get EVSB

That's Ewan Villiams Single Barrel. Oops, Evan Williams

Single Barrel for $14.99 .

Mark,

Thanks for the help. Actually it's not my local store but most of our Maryland, D.C. and Virginia SB.com members seem to find their way to one of the outlets.

A bourbon that doesn't get much mention here but has gotten some acclaim elsewhere is the Evan Williams 1783 10yo. It was recently introduced here in Texas at about $10 per 750ml. That makes it about $2 more than EW 7yo, but well worth the extra $2. It has the HH "mentholyptus" going but in a smooth, rounded profile at 86 proof.

Randy

We'll second that one. In VA, the 1.75L is a great deal when it's on sale - usually about $22.

The Montgomery County Webpage says Rare Breed. Man, I wish my local store ran sales like this!

I especially like this website for placing the Bourbons at the top of the list, where they belong, and the S*****es just above the Lemoncello and Lemon Cream at the bottom, right where they belong, too!

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Las Vegas, even in the largest liquor stores (which otherwise have a decent selection of bourbon and other whiskey) I've only seen one BIB bourbon!. mad.gif I think it might have been Barton's. I recently picked up Old Forester 100 proof because it's bin was still labeled BIB, only to find (at home) the label no longer states this. crazy.gif

Brown-Forman took the BIB designation off the 100 proof Old Forester because they felt no one understood the term, i.e., it was irrelevant to consumers. They assure me, however, that it still meets all of the requirements.

I'm in the middle of this process. To me, cheap bourbon is $15 or less. I have yet to try Weller 12yo, Ancient Ancient Age 10, Buffalo Trace. Hope to come across them soon. But I don't think you can beat Rebel Yell for the money.

You're absolutely right. I have Hirsch 16yo, Weller 12yo, JB Black, Black Maple Hill 16yo, AAA 10yo and Stagg '03 among bottles open right now on my shelf -- right alongside my liter of Rebel Yell. The quality of bourbon today, like wine generally, is such that you can price shop without worry -- you're still going to get something drinkable. Rebel Yell's a good example. It's good enough that the dirt-cheap price make you feel like you're getting away with something.

The best deal I have found yet, $8.99 for a bottle of Old Forester 86 while I was traveling in LA last week. Tasty stuff. My previous lowball favorite was Old Weller, but this eclipsed that handily.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this a great thread to study as a cash-strapped novice. Buffalo Trace and Old Weller 107 Antique have been the two bourbons that essentially served as my introduction to the beverage, only just within the last year. I'm glad to see that both have been mentioned here frequently.

We agree with you - the Old Weller Antique 107 is a very nice bourbon, especially for the price! The 12 yo is very popular here (deservedly so), but we like the Antique just as much if not more.

I too vote for Old Weller Antique; it's how I end most work days. Has anyone noticed what i think is an error on the front label?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.