France, in general

Anwalt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, aside from "not drinking any bourbon", having fun on Viking cruise in & around Bordeaux.  I know fairly little about about French alcohol.  Wifey being from Chile means we've favored various South American blends, Malbec, and the periodic Don Melchor for quite some time.

I've always enjoyed Sauternes.  My father usually has one for me at Thanksgiving & Christmas.  Went a bit nuts on those.  Stopped at Rayne Vigneau and...Wow.  Ended up shipping 12 bottles of their 2005 Sauterne at circa $52/each, shipping included.  Very good, a bit sweet for some, works well for me.   It's good now and may be even better later.  Curiously, the price did not change much at all based on vintage.  Rather, batch size was the driver on that.

Stopped at a place that sold not-Sauternes that are kissing cousins.  They were lighter than a Sauterne, sweet but crisper, lower sugar content.  The chateau was tiny, one guy full time, 3rd generation to run it.  He did quite well with our group, what with great wines, a great personality, and a bunch of entrepreneurs who favor the little guy.  Chateau Ceron, got a few of those.  The waiver of the VAT when shipping goes a long towards covering the shipping on the pricier bottles.  We picked up some 1996's & 1988's for shipping.

Tried a dizzying array of reds. I'm not normally much for the drier ones, though I must say Bordeaux may get me more into them.  

Learned that Churchill's favorite champagne was Pol Roger.  Tried it and understood why that Great Man liked it so.  Easily available in the US, so no need to get it here.  Will have to compare to my present favorite, Veuve Cliquot, once we return home.

Working day today, albeit in the best of environs, Libourne.  Then a drive to Cognac country tomorrow.  Another liquor with which I have some familiarity due its presence in the home when a wee, little duckling.

I must say, the French have earned their reputation.  They know how to live.  They eat & drink spectacular quality victuals & beverages, take some pride in how they dress, and are always moving, riding bikes, etc.  Far, far less obesity here than I am accustomed to seeing.

Great trip, glad to have finally made it back to the continent.

• I like it 1

A great wine to taste when in France is everything with the grape Gamay. Makes for a cherry-like, light and crispy wine. Or everything Pet Nat, which is a natural form of sparkling wine, methode rurale. The have great natural wine makers in France, Marula and Francois Blanchard come to mind. 

Here is a link: https://naturalwine.com/francois-blanchard-la-presse/

I like the south the best, Lyon and further south. 

Have fun over there

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Sven Heuchert said:

A great wine to taste when in France is everything with the grape Gamay. Makes for a cherry-like, light and crispy wine. Or everything Pet Nat, which is a natural form of sparkling wine, methode rurale. The have great natural wine makers in France, Marula and Francois Blanchard come to mind. 

Here is a link: https://naturalwine.com/francois-blanchard-la-presse/

I like the south the best, Lyon and further south. 

Have fun over there

Thanks Sven!  I appreciate the tips.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.