Jump to content

Is it worth it? Angels Envy


MissMohawk
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

 

 

I'm looking to treat myself to a bottle of bourbon that I haven't had before and thinking about Angels Envy.  

I can only get it from one place here and it is €82 (+€8 delivery).    Is it worth that? 

 

As for my taste, my favourites so far are along the lines of Makers Mark , WT101, Eagle Rare. 

 

Thanks

Jess

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I am a fan of both Angel’s Envy and Eagle Rare, I would not pay that price for the AE. I realize you are in Ireland but that is more than double what I paid for my last AE. I don’t think your price represents a decent value. Here’s hoping you find some for less down the road. Slainte!

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's very pricey for AE, unless it's the rye, which runs ~ $90 USD.     AE is pretty good, and I just picked up a bottle for $50.00 USD, if that helps give you an idea of the cost.    We visited AE distillery, a few years ago.  It's a pretty slick operation and we enjoyed the visit, (and the sample pours😄)

 

To answer your question, "Is it worth that?"    Not to me, or probably most members here.    We spent a week in your beautiful country, a few years ago, where I discovered that I really do enjoy the whiskey and learned to appreciate a good pint.  Slainte!

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RT Fan said:

While I am a fan of both Angel’s Envy and Eagle Rare, I would not pay that price for the AE. I realize you are in Ireland but that is more than double what I paid for my last AE. I don’t think your price represents a decent value. Here’s hoping you find some for less down the road. Slainte!

Thanks for your advice.  Really appreciate it. 

 

I can get Eagle Rare for €50 here (if I'm near a certain off licence) I'd be more than happy to pick up one of those rather than over spend on AE if it's extortionate here. 

 

Very poor selection of bourbon here. I've often been asked what bourbon is in an off licence when I ask for it 😁 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

That's very pricey for AE, unless it's the rye, which runs ~ $90 USD.     AE is pretty good, and I just picked up a bottle for $50.00 USD, if that helps give you an idea of the cost.    We visited AE distillery, a few years ago.  It's a pretty slick operation and we enjoyed the visit, (and the sample pours😄)

 

To answer your question, "Is it worth that?"    Not to me, or probably most members here.    We spent a week in your beautiful country, a few years ago, where I discovered that I really do enjoy the whiskey and learned to appreciate a good pint.  Slainte!

The Rye is €135  and never seen it in stock online!  😳 

I guess I have to allow for an additional cost being in Ireland, I just don't want to be roasted for something that isn't justified. 

 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That price on the Eagle Rare is more in line with prices paid here in New York. That is where I would put my money given your limited selection. I am envious of your selection on Irish in your neck of the woods. Speaking as a long time fan of all things Bushmill’s!

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MissMohawk said:

The Rye is €135  and never seen it in stock online!  😳 

I guess I have to allow for an additional cost being in Ireland, I just don't want to be roasted for something that isn't justified. 

 

As long as you like it, then it's worth whatever you're willing to pay.   It would be nice, however, if you could "try before you buy"   The AE rye is a different animal.  It's finished in rum barrels and, as a result, is very "rum forward" and a little  sweet for my taste.   For me, it's more of a dessert pour and once it's gone, it won't be replaced.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RT Fan said:

That price on the Eagle Rare is more in line with prices paid here in New York. That is where I would put my money given your limited selection. I am envious of your selection on Irish in your neck of the woods. Speaking as a long time fan of all things Bushmill’s!

I'm always envious of people who live in the US. (grass is always greener on the other side I suppose). What is your Bushmills choice?  For what is available on my doorstep, I don't explore Irish whiskey enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had my druthers, it would be “Black Bush” and the 12 Year Single Malt. Back in the day they had a wonderful “Millennium Malt” but that is long gone. You may want to check out their “Red Bush” as well, that one is finished in bourbon casks. 

Edited by RT Fan
  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, RT Fan said:

If I had my druthers, it would be “Black Bush” and the 12 Year Single Malt. Back in the day they had a wonderful “Millennium Malt” but that is long gone. You may want to check out their “Red Bush” as well, that one is finished in bourbon casks. 

Admittedly, I have never heard that word before, "druthers", I like it, I shall use it. 😁  

Bushmills is a regular in the pubs here. I will check out redbush if I come across it. 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would take the Eagle Rare over the Angel's Envy any day, even if they were the same price.  I've only had one bottle of AE and I didn't care for it at all.  It had kind of an "artificial" flavor to me, probably from the finishing barrels. 
 

As for Irish whisky, I recently finished a bottle Redbreast 12yr cask strength that was absolutely fantastic.  If I ever see another bottle, I will definitely buy one.  I remember reading somewhere that it was being discontinued in favor of a non age stated release.  I hope that was just a rumor..

  • I like it 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coincidentally, I just this past week picked up the first bottle of Angel's Envy I have purchased in two or three years.  I opened it a couple of days ago and actually enjoyed it a bit more than I remembered from the past.  I like having a variety of taste experiences available in my whiskey cabinet, and I find that AE offers a pretty unique flavor.  However, as others here have said, price would appear to be an issue in your case.  I paid $47USD for my bottle, and find that is fairly typical for that bottle in these parts.  So, you may want to wait to see if you can find it for a more reasonable price.  (Of course, you may have a reason to splurge and want a "what the hell" bottle; in such a case, carry on and enjoy! 🙂

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a bottle of AE in the earliest days of my bourbon journey and have never bought another. As fosmith mentioned it's finished in sherry and port casks which results in a sweet profile - too much at times. If you are a fan of sherry and port cask scothces you might like it. I liked it at first because the sweetness made it more approachable as a new bourbon drinker. I very quickly adjusted my palate however so before I even finished that bottle I had moved on needing something approachable. Since you are not a newbie and given that you like WT101 you certainly don't need anything approachable so the only reason I'd see you buying this is if you wanted that sometime change of pace on the sweeter side.

Definitely a try before you buy situation.

  • I like it 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As others noted, it is port finished and you can taste it. I’d look for a good Scotch or Irish whisky if I wanted a fortified wine finish. And +1 to Redbreast cask strength, awesome stuff and I’d say one of the most underrated whiskeys in the world. The Spot line is good too. 

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2022 at 3:17 PM, MissMohawk said:

The Rye is €135  and never seen it in stock online!  😳 

I guess I have to allow for an additional cost being in Ireland, I just don't want to be roasted for something that isn't justified. 

 

The rye is basically undrinkable to me. The finish is so overpowering that it presents itself as a poor rum to me. My wife thought it was ok, but otherwise it was one of the worst purchases I've made.

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 2:53 PM, MissMohawk said:

Hi all, 

 

 

I'm looking to treat myself to a bottle of bourbon that I haven't had before and thinking about Angels Envy.  

I can only get it from one place here and it is €82 (+€8 delivery).    Is it worth that? 

 

As for my taste, my favourites so far are along the lines of Makers Mark , WT101, Eagle Rare. 

 

Thanks

Jess

 

AE is mediocre at best. I would go ER all day over AE

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 9:12 PM, MissMohawk said:

Thanks for your advice.  Really appreciate it. 

 

I can get Eagle Rare for €50 here (if I'm near a certain off licence) I'd be more than happy to pick up one of those rather than over spend on AE if it's extortionate here. 

 

Very poor selection of bourbon here. I've often been asked what bourbon is in an off licence when I ask for it 😁 

 

So much for scoring a nice bourbon when I come to Ireland in January, I guess....... Seems we are better off in mainland Europe when it comes to bourbon, and over here much of it is impossible to get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.