Duty Free Exclusive Bourbon?

Dedward429
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was recently on a cruise to Aruba and purchased a few bottles of Macallen Lumina, and a few bottles of Glen Deveron 16year. I am more of a bourbon drinker but purchased those simply because I couldn't buy them in the states. I was wondering if there was any bourbon that is sold either exclusively in duty free shops or outside the US such as the Caribbean islands. I'm going back in 2023 and would like to find some nice bourbon to bring home. Thanks all, cheers!

Blanton's Gold and Straight From The Barrel (SFTB)!   

Blantons Gold Bermuda.jpg

From our deck at the Fairmont Southampton in Bermuda!  🤩

Blanton's SFTB.jpg

SFTB on a Blanton's half barrel head (with engraved label), cut crystal Blanton's Glencairns, and Gold Blanton's tops from "dead soldies".  Younger daughter worked for the Fairmont hotels for several years and had the Fairmont Southampton and Barbados as her main propertiea.  And sometimes we just had to travel to the Caribbean with her to babysit for the grandkids.  🥰 

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 6

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Blanton's Gold and Straight From The Barrel (SFTB)!   

Blantons Gold Bermuda.jpg

From our deck at the Fairmont Southampton in Bermuda!  🤩

Blanton's SFTB.jpg

SFTB on a Blanton's half barrel head (with engraved label), cut crystal Blanton's Glencairns, and Gold Blanton's tops from "dead soldies".  Younger daughter worked for the Fairmont hotels for several years and had the Fairmont Southampton and Barbados as her main propertiea.  And sometimes we just had to travel to the Caribbean with her to babysit for the grandkids.  🥰 

Are the SFTB & Gold still currently available in Bermuda?  Do you mind my asking the prices?

We found STRFB at $120 in France and Gold at $103 a month ago.  Much easier to find outside of Paris.  The people from whom we bought said they shall sell us more when it comes in and hold it for our next visit.

We got lucky on the SFTB.  Even in France, most places wanted closer to $150 to $180 for it.

Edited by Anwalt

On 11/27/2022 at 7:10 AM, Anwalt said:

Are the SFTB & Gold still currently available in Bermuda?  Do you mind my asking the prices?

We haven't been back to Bermuda since April, 2019 (pre-Covid).  But according to the receipts from the Gosling's Ltd. Queen Street store in Hamilton from that trip (not Duty-Free at the airport)  2 750ml bottles of SFTB were $195.20 US.  I seem to remember that I bought the 750ml bottles of Gold at the airport Duty Free shop for around $76 - almost the same price as "regular" Blanton's now.  😪

Also found a May, 2019 receipt from a local Boston store on the Northshore for 2 750ml bottles of SFTB for $339.98.  Have no idea how they got them and I didn't ask.   😉

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

43 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

We haven't been back to Bermuda since April, 2019 (pre-Covid).  But according to the receipts from the Gosling's Ltd. Queen Street store in Hamilton from that trip (not Duty-Free at the airport)  2 750ml bottles of SFTB were $195.20 US.  I seem to remember that I bought the 750ml bottles of Gold at the airport Duty Free shop for around $76 - almost the same price as "regular" Blanton's now.  😪

Also found a May, 2019 receipt from a local Boston store on the Northshore for 2 750ml bottles of SFTB for $339.98.  Have no idea how they got them and I didn't ask.   😉

The Good (not so Old) Days.  

Gulmohar's in St Maarten used to sell above MSRP but well below secondary.  That no longer seems to be the case.  I have some friends there now.  The least-bad deal was regular Blantons for $85 (MSRP in OH is $60).  At least that's less than the circa $100 - $125 it goes for in regular secondary circles (and more at the Museum Stores).  

My rough approach:  Try and get the Gold and SFTB at $100 below regular trading value.  Based on my perception of "regular trading value", that means Gold at no more than $125 and SFTB at no more than $175. Those prices are pretty obtainable "in season" in non-Paris France.  Added bonus:  That usually means W12 can be found at $40.

No sure how prices in Japan compare.

I have not explored the British and Dutch auctioneers.

I really like the Gold and STFB.

8 minutes ago, CaptTim said:

You Sir are are living right!

I need you to explain this to my spouse, lol!

I have to admit that after our recent trip to France (which I very much enjoyed in its own right, and my spouse enjoyed in spite of my spending about a day out of 10 hunting bourbon), the bourbon finds really put a thumb on the scale for "future places to travel".  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.