Fair price for Weller 12 year

Dedward429
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/29/2022 at 7:02 PM, Kepler said:

MSRP is $35 so...

That’s what I paid for 2 bottles the last time I saw it. That was probably 2017. Solid value at that price, but wouldn’t pay more than $50. There’s plenty of other tasty bottles on the shelf. 

I thought I’d killer them both, but I recently found half a bottle in the back of a cabinet in my library. It’s likely to be my last bottle. 

Over here in Europe it is quite simple, we can hardly get the W12 over here. I paid 120 Euro over here for one, just because I wanted to have one and there is just no way to buy it for any less. I agree there are better bottles for that money, but it is harder for us anyway to get the good stuff, so comparing price is pretty useless over here.....

2 hours ago, evasive said:

That’s what I paid for 2 bottles the last time I saw it. That was probably 2017. Solid value at that price, but wouldn’t pay more than $50. There’s plenty of other tasty bottles on the shelf. 

I thought I’d killer them both, but I recently found half a bottle in the back of a cabinet in my library. It’s likely to be my last bottle. 

I bought several at $21 when I first started, still have some. Very good bourbon when you consider the actual msrp.  I get a kick out of the people who pay $200 or whatever for it, and then blame the whiskey when they are underwhelmed.  Instead of themselves.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Obree said:

harder for us anyway to get the good stuff, so comparing price is pretty useless over here.....

Yes can't compare prices across the pond. Like scotch for us.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I bought several at $21 when I first started, still have some. Very good bourbon when you consider the actual msrp.  I get a kick out of the people who pay $200 or whatever for it, and then blame the whiskey when they are underwhelmed.  Instead of themselves.

For $35, I would buy it every time I see it. But I don’t expect to see it anymore, at least on shelves. I’m not going to line up outside my shop before it opens. People already do that for OWA and WSR. I don’t get that. 

The weird thing is OWA, which is 6-7 years old, is now MSRP of $50 and W12 is $35.  In the old days W12 was the more expensive of these.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, wadewood said:

The weird thing is OWA, which is 6-7 years old, is now MSRP of $50 and W12 is $35.  In the old days W12 was the more expensive of these.

Does the MSRP have any meaning at all, other than making such bottles disappear in places that sell at those numbers?  It's indicative of neither cost nor fair market value.

19 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Does the MSRP have any meaning at all, other than making such bottles disappear in places that sell at those numbers?  It's indicative of neither cost nor fair market value.

Believe or not, there are stores that sell at MSRP.  Spec's by far the largest retailer in TX, sells everything at MSRP.  Now you either get a phone call to pick up or you wait in line overnight (not me) when they do a big annual bourbon drop.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, wadewood said:

Believe or not, there are stores that sell at MSRP.  Spec's by far the largest retailer in TX, sells everything at MSRP.  Now you either get a phone call to pick up or you wait in line overnight (not me) when they do a big annual bourbon drop.

Exceptions that proves the rule.  There are also Walmarts that sell at MSRP.  Finding allocated products at one of those is a matter of pure luck (or connections).  MSRP is mostly a notation, a few exceptions notwithstanding.  

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 7:08 AM, Anwalt said:

My local LS sells everything at MSRP, PVW/BTAC etc. included 

• I like it 4

On 1/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, jvd99 said:

My local LS sells everything at MSRP, PVW/BTAC etc. included 

Mine did for quite a long time, but, eventually started upcharging for the LE's rather than watch folx grab at retail, then immediately re-sell at often radically increased prices.   ...At least once right outside his door in the parking lot!   He still will listen to my plea on occasion and cut me a little slack, though I don't buy nearly as much as I once did.    It's hard to blame anybody for not wanting to be played for a fool.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.