Highest Proof Straight Rye Whiskey

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm curious what's the highest proof Rye that you've seen.  I'm asking because the newest Still 630 release (their 10 year single barrel) clocked in at 143.3 proof and I don't recall ever seeing a rye quite that high.  I know some older GTS, a few of the Abraham Bowmans, and the JD Coy Hill releases got way up there but I don't think I've seen any ryes that were hazmat.

• I like it 1

Interesting - hadn't ever thought about that, but in looking back over older spreadsheets and reviews, the highest proof rye (I think) that I've ever had was Booker's Rye clocking in at 68.1% ABV.  Most were below 65%.  I wonder if there is something about the alcohol from rye that would evaporate differently - or just that there's been a whole lot less rye out there (as the bourbons that get up to that aren't common).  Curious to see if others have seen more out there, or if any chemist knows about the evaporation details that might explain a difference.

• I like it 1

Hmmmmm........I think that this is interesting too.

The highest proof rye in my bunker is a Whistle Pig 10 year, at 119.5

My guess is that many ryes are spicy/hot enough in the 90-110 range.

• I like it 2

I'd imagine there are some really old Willett single barrels that get quite high too.  The only old Willett rye I had though was a 25/100.

1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

Barrell did a run of single barrel Canadian ryes that were very high proof, including some hazmats. The one pictured here is 153.94: https://thebourbonculture.com/whiskey-reviews/barrell-single-barrel-rye-whiskey-big-red-liquors-review/

you and me both know unless it's labeled straight that Canadian rye likely has some non-rye component in it

6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Hmmmmm........I think that this is interesting too.

The highest proof rye in my bunker is a Whistle Pig 10 year, at 119.5

My guess is that many ryes are spicy/hot enough in the 90-110 range.

Great point.  I've had some Smooth Ambler Ryes back in the day that were 7-8 yrs old and in the low 120s - and were just spice bombs.  Higher proof isn't necessarily better.  Could be that when it gets up there, unless it is an exceptional barrel - it just turns to rubbish.

• I like it 1

The Still 630 10y is the highest proof American rye that I’ve ever seen / tasted.

Bookers Rye is the second.

Edited by 0895

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.