Fighting Cock

Obree
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While walking around Frankfurt (the German one, think there are also some places with that name in the US) I found a small whisky store in the center there. I had little time (my wife was with me and she wanted to visit the Christmas market that is all around the center of the city there) but I picked up a bottle of Fighting Cock there. Even though it was the age stated version, so a pre 2015 bottle I guess, and it is not easy to find in our market, I think I overpayed quite a bit with 60 Euro, so around the same in USD these days. How does the 6 year compare to the current NAS, any experiences?

The six year age stated had a lot of rye and barrel flavor.  Sorry to see it discontinued, like so many others.

The no age statement version, that's all dialed back.  It's just ok.  I pass it at $20.

EW 1783 is the same mash bill, much tastier to me.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, PaulO said:

The six year age stated had a lot of rye and barrel flavor.  Sorry to see it discontinued, like so many others.

The no age statement version, that's all dialed back.  It's just ok.  I pass it at $20.

EW 1783 is the same mash bill, much tastier to me.

Thanks! Tasted it yesterday, found it to be quite balanced and more complex than expected. I will do a blind tasting against WT101. I have not yet found a EW 1783 over here, plenty of the regular EW and BiB but not the 1783

• 3 weeks later...

Finally did the WT101 vs FC 6 year age stated tonight. Found the FC to be slightly ethanol forward, indeed more rye spices but also some subtle sweetness. The WT has more vanilla and butterscotch and a longer finish in my view. Enjoyable comparison, I have to say!

• I like it 1

My only experience with Fighting Cock was watching someone snort capfuls of it in college. I think the subtle sweetness was lost on him. 😄

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, evasive said:

My only experience with Fighting Cock was watching someone snort capfuls of it in college. I think the subtle sweetness was lost on him. 😄

🤣 Brilliant! Different kind of nosing I guess......

• I like it 1

Congrats on finding an age stated bottle. I like the 6-8 year range for most bourbons, and that was a go-to for me for many years. The current stuff isn’t even NAS. Down to a 36-month age statement and pretty lousy when you can get EW BIB for less money. I’d agree WT101 still beats the 6-year FC. Even the old 8-year, while quite good, was just a bit less complex than Turkey.

• I like it 3

I find the FC 6 year to closely resemble its stablemate, the Heaven Hill 6 year BiB.  It's a nice pour for the money. I've paid anywhere from 13 to 16 for my bottles of FC6.

• I like it 3

On 12/31/2022 at 1:49 AM, TBoner said:

Congrats on finding an age stated bottle. I like the 6-8 year range for most bourbons, and that was a go-to for me for many years. The current stuff isn’t even NAS. Down to a 36-month age statement and pretty lousy when you can get EW BIB for less money. I’d agree WT101 still beats the 6-year FC. Even the old 8-year, while quite good, was just a bit less complex than Turkey.

Agree on the complexity, the WT101 overall is a bit better. Was really surprised to find that bottle, since over here FC is just not found anywhere!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

I find the FC 6 year to closely resemble its stablemate, the Heaven Hill 6 year BiB.  It's a nice pour for the money. I've paid anywhere from 13 to 16 for my bottles of FC6.

We do not find any FC at all over here in Europe. For 13-16 USD it is a very good pour, I have to say! I will check the HH 6yo BiB availability over here, think that is also hard to get in Europe.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Obree said:

We do not find any FC at all over here in Europe. For 13-16 USD it is a very good pour, I have to say! I will check the HH 6yo BiB availability over here, think that is also hard to get in Europe.

Unfortunately they are not making the HH BiB 6 year anymore either.  It was a Kentucky-only release so doubtful that's available across the pond.  The new replacement is HH 7 year BiB at a higher price.

• I like it 2

On 12/30/2022 at 4:23 PM, Obree said:

Finally did the WT101 vs FC 6 year age stated tonight. Found the FC to be slightly ethanol forward, indeed more rye spices but also some subtle sweetness. The WT has more vanilla and butterscotch and a longer finish in my view. Enjoyable comparison, I have to say!

My experience as well. I enjoyed the FC6yr and was a regular buyer till I was exposed to HH6 bib. The “ethanol forward” note you describe being the difference maker for me, well put.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.