Virginia Straight Rocket Fuel

Thomm
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I seem to be somewhat obsessed lately with finding a replacement for my dearly departed bottle of John J Bowman single barrel.  While perusing the A. Smith Bowman Distillery website a few days ago, I ran across an announcement heralding their newest entry into the super-proof pissing contest that seems to be taking all of Bourbondom by storm.  Cask Strength Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey will weigh in at a whopping 144.5 proof. 

Now, this discussion is purely hypothetical, as the announcement came with the requisite hoops to jump through (free lottery to sign up for, winners announced yesterday, must claim your bottle at the distillery which, inconveniently, is several hundred miles from Wisconsin).  

Anyway, long story short, would you?  Lucky winners pay the retail price of $99.99 for the privilege.  

I thought about it for a moment, and came to this inconclusive waffle of an answer: I would. But I'm not too sure I would be able to drink any. I honestly believe at that proof, the ethanol blast would slam my throat shut. And then I would add water. Which would proof down the whiskey. Which takes away half the fun (and ALL the bragging rights).  

So whaddya think?  Will you seek this stuff out?  Any thoughts in general on the proliferation of cask strength 300 mph top-fuel dragsters out there?

Oh, I'd definitely purchase one locally if I had the chance (in fact I let my local store know last year that I wanted one when the first CS was announced, but no dice). 

BUT I ain't traveling across multiple states to pick up any bottle.  That's why I passed on entering the FRSmBLE and OFBB drawings.  I know a lot of taters that would do it, but I think it's insane personally.  Might as well save time and gas/plane money and buy something off secondary to save the headache.

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

I thought about it for a moment, and came to this inconclusive waffle of an answer: I would. But I'm not too sure I would be able to drink any. I honestly believe at that proof, the ethanol blast would slam my throat shut. And then I would add water. Which would proof down the whiskey. Which takes away half the fun (and ALL the bragging rights).  

So whaddya think?  Will you seek this stuff out?  Any thoughts in general on the proliferation of cask strength 300 mph top-fuel dragsters out there?

I wouldn't let the 144 proof keep me away.  I've had 140 proof GTS and 139 proof ECBP and it's not that big of a jump past hot monsters like Booker's and 1792FP.  Just add some water and run with it.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Oh, I'd definitely purchase one locally if I had the chance (in fact I let my local store know last year that I wanted one when the first CS was announced, but no dice). 

BUT I ain't traveling across multiple states to pick up any bottle.  That's why I passed on entering the FRSmBLE and OFBB drawings.  I know a lot of taters that would do it, but I think it's insane personally.  Might as well save time and gas/plane money and buy something off secondary to save the headache.

I can’t say, I’ve driven across several states to try to purchase an “allocated “ bottle.

I will admit to, after getting home from a trip to Kentucky, opening up a spectacular bottle of WTKS PS , that I picked up on my trip from an out of the way store. I then drove back from Oklahoma to Kentucky( in a one day round trip) to buy more bottles (cases) from a barrel, that crushed my taste buds. I’d do it again. My only  regret…… I didn’t buy the store out of that barrel. 🤷‍♂️🤣

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Clarification
  • I like it 7

3 hours ago, Thomm said:

I seem to be somewhat obsessed lately with finding a replacement for my dearly departed bottle of John J Bowman single barrel.  While perusing the A. Smith Bowman Distillery website a few days ago, I ran across an announcement heralding their newest entry into the super-proof pissing contest that seems to be taking all of Bourbondom by storm.  Cask Strength Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey will weigh in at a whopping 144.5 proof. 

Now, this discussion is purely hypothetical, as the announcement came with the requisite hoops to jump through (free lottery to sign up for, winners announced yesterday, must claim your bottle at the distillery which, inconveniently, is several hundred miles from Wisconsin).  

Anyway, long story short, would you?  Lucky winners pay the retail price of $99.99 for the privilege.  

So did you win or not?

😝

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I can’t say, I’ve driven across several states to try to purchase an “allocated “ bottle.

I will admit to, after getting home from a trip to Kentucky, opening up a spectacular bottle of WTKS PS , that I picked up on my trip from an out of the way store. Driving back from Oklahoma to Kentucky( in a one day round trip) to buy more bottles (cases) from a barrel, that crushed my taste buds. I’d do it again. My only  regret…… I didn’t buy the store out of that barrel. 🤷‍♂️🤣

Cheers

🥔 📢 🤪

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

So did you win or not?

😝

I was too late to enter, but probably would have just for grins. 

• I like it 1

You know, I just mapped this trip out on Google maps. 900 miles from my front door to A. Smith Bowman.  The trip might be a fun one, as I have never been to Washington D.C. or that area in general. East on I70 through the midsection of Ohio, stopping for Wellers wherever I can find them. Touristy crap in D.C., then on to the distillery to buy a few cases of JJB.  I could sell that to my better half. 

• I like it 1

Apparently people came from California to pick up their A. Smith Bowman CS last year (the first release). There will also be a day where they put the bottles that weren't picked up on sale at the distillery and people will camp out over-night for them, regardless of the weather.

1 hour ago, Thomm said:

East on I70 through the midsection of Ohio, stopping for Wellers wherever I can find them. Touristy crap in D.C., then on to the distillery to buy a few cases of JJB.  I could sell that to my better half. 

• I like it 3

Having SIPPED, That is S I P P E D, some drams at or near this proof, I can say it isn't that hard to appreciate it neat.   

Of course an ounce or more at-or-near such ABV will mostly numb your mouth, so it's best to reserve that pour for the last one of the evening.

I fan tell you one more thing: Bananas Foster made with a mega-proof bourbon like this will knock your sox entirely off.   And, you'll remember the experience very fondly for life.

• I like it 3

On 12/18/2022 at 12:44 PM, Thomm said:

You know, I just mapped this trip out on Google maps. 900 miles from my front door to A. Smith Bowman.  The trip might be a fun one, as I have never been to Washington D.C. or that area in general. East on I70 through the midsection of Ohio, stopping for Wellers wherever I can find them. Touristy crap in D.C., then on to the distillery to buy a few cases of JJB.  I could sell that to my better half. 

Go for it!

Fredericksburg, and the surrounding area are nice.  There's a lot to see and do around there too.  Good restaurants,  bars, and lots iofCivil War stuff to see and experience. Battlefields, museums,  etc. 

The distillery is pretty nice too.😉

I sip hazmat whiskey on occasion and I like to pour them over a large cube, or sphere,  and enjoy the way they evolve as the ice melts. 

Edited by Skinsfan1311

• 2 weeks later...

I've done something similar to what you are talking about in the reverse direction.  I live in VA and visit inlaws once a year in WI.  Since I don't like to fly unless necessary I usually drive up there every year.  It's a long trip.  So I'd say if you are up for the trip and want to check out DC, then go for it.  I think everyone should do all the touristy stuff in DC at least once if they get the chance.  In my opinion the most interesting thing to check out is the Smithsonian.  

With that said, I wouldn't do the trip just get the whiskey though...but that's just me.  I'm not a "big city" person, so hanging out in and/or driving through big cities is not enjoyable for me anymore.  I have to go through Chicago on my yearly trip up there, and the only thing that gets me motivated for that portion of the trip is stopping at a Binny's or two to grab some different scotches that I can't get here in VA.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.