Virgin Bourbon

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Piggy backing on the fighting cock thread.. i almost purchased a virgin bourbon coming back through alabama. How does the NAS compare to the 7 year? The 7 year VB, HH6bib, and ezra 7 yr 101 were three classics and as close as the hh6 90 gets… itsjust not quite there. How close does the VB NAS get?

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, 0895 said:

😕

I recall you really liked that profile. Something about dead leaves 😄? So the new version is a pass huh?

14 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I recall you really liked that profile. Something about dead leaves 😄? So the new version is a pass huh?

I seem to recall that VB 7 year was sourced from HH.  Is this correct?  Was it similar to HH 7 year BIB?

Edited by mbroo5880i

16 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I seem to recall that VB 7 year was sourced from HH.  Is this correct?  Was it similar to HH 7 year BIB?

I found the three i mentioned having very similar profiles. HH7bib, ezra 7 101, vb7… all were from HH i think that is correct. I have a few of each set aside and theyre probably some of the pours i most look forward to in the future

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I was probably drunk when I said that, but it sounds like something I would say.

Anyway, The NAS is not like the good (chooses words carefully to avoid phone calls from the FBI) 7 year age stated on the label Virgin Bourbon.

• I like it 2

This may not help you too much but I did pick up some of the VB NAS about a year and a half ago.  I've never had the 7 year age stated and was hoping that I might be pleasantly surprised.  Not the case.  I found it very pedestrian and not nearly as good HH 6yr BIB, or Old Ezra 7yr.  If it is from HH, I would still rather have the EW BIB, or Dant.

• I like it 3

On 12/30/2022 at 7:04 PM, FasterHorses said:

I found the three i mentioned having very similar profiles. HH7bib, ezra 7 101, vb7… all were from HH i think that is correct. I have a few of each set aside and theyre probably some of the pours i most look forward to in the future

I meant HH6bib not 7bib. The 6 was heads and shoulders better than the 7

• I like it 2

24 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I meant HH6bib not 7bib. The 6 was heads and shoulders better than the 7

I may have screw things up.  The white label was a 6 year old BIB 100 proof right?  It was a great bourbon.  That was the one I was thinking of.  Wasn't the green label 90 proof?  

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I may have screw things up.  The white label was a 6 year old BIB 100 proof right?  It was a great bourbon.  That was the one I was thinking of.  Wasn't the green label 90 proof?  

Yes.

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Correct on both. The green 6 year 90 is pretty good also.

• I like it 2

I have nothing of value to add here, I just wanted to jump in and mourn the loss (belated of course) of another good age stated value whiskey.  I totally missed that this one was going NAS, and if I had known I would have grabbed a few bottles as it was an exceptional value for the money when it was 7 years old.

• I like it 2

I have VB7, OE7 and HH6bib all bunkered. I can only confirm the HH6 as an excellent pour. The others I picked up over the years prior to their going NAS.

All three are HH and one day I may do a SBSBS. Currently everything is on hold for medical reasons so I am enjoying pours vicariously through all of my fellow SBrs. 
I too am curious about the 7 vs NAS VB profile as these moves rarely improve the affected release  but interesting nonetheless as educational information for those that like to discuss the subtleties (or not so ) of our favorite pours.

off topic, I haven’t purchased a Fighting Cock since it went NAS, I simply assumed it wasn’t a step up from the 6yr version.

Edited by kcgumbohead

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.