I Need a Little Help Identifying a Store Pick Label

Davesnothere
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought I could leverage the collective wisdom here, and ask for some help identifying this store pick label.

I've tried The Google with no success.

Does it look familiar to anyone?

20230106_172217.thumb.jpg.f9a0103446b24e84aaaa92eef346f0df.jpg

Looks like a barrel that was split between Kentucky and California.  Perhaps between two different distributors, or a large distributor that covers areas in both of those states.

Just a guess though.

Around here,  I've noticed in the past year especially,  that the distributors are getting one barrel pick of a product to distribute amongst many smaller stores instead of each store getting their own barrels.

They are simply labeled as "MO" or "Southern Illinois" or "The Lou" (for St. Louis)

The only local stores seemingly still receiving their own sazerac product barrels are the very highest volume "big box" stores in the area, and even then it is typically one-two barrels of Buffalo trace or Eagle Rare per year.

Think large grocery chains, Sam's/Walmart, or Total Whine & More type of places.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Looks like a barrel that was split between Kentucky and California.  Perhaps between two different distributors, or a large distributor that covers areas in both of those states.

Just a guess though.

Around here,  I've noticed in the past year especially,  that the distributors are getting one barrel pick of a product to distribute amongst many smaller stores instead of each store getting their own barrels.

They are simply labeled as "MO" or "Southern Illinois" or "The Lou" (for St. Louis)

The only local stores seemingly still receiving their own sazerac product barrels are the very highest volume "big box" stores in the area, and even then it is typically one-two barrels of Buffalo trace or Eagle Rare per year.

Think large grocery chains, Sam's/Walmart, or Total Whine & More type of places.

This is what I was thinking as well.

• I like it 1

Gotta wonder who got to "select" the barrel? Probably just dumped and shipped with that generic label. Maybe I'm too cynical.

With the huge demand and limited supplies, I doubt the distilleries are putting a whole lot of effort into letting liquor stores be involved in the "selection" process. My local LS says it's not like it was a few years ago where he went to the distillery, had a private tasting of several honey barrels and picked a couple. After they shut down the private tastings, it went to tasting/picking by mail. Now its take what we give you and we'll put your sticker on it. He may be exaggerating or over-generalizing but it sounds plausible, even if its for some distilleries and not others

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Gotta wonder who got to "select" the barrel? Probably just dumped and shipped with that generic label. Maybe I'm too cynical.

With the huge demand and limited supplies, I doubt the distilleries are putting a whole lot of effort into letting liquor stores be involved in the "selection" process. My local LS says it's not like it was a few years ago where he went to the distillery, had a private tasting of several honey barrels and picked a couple. After they shut down the private tastings, it went to tasting/picking by mail. Now its take what we give you and we'll put your sticker on it. He may be exaggerating or over-generalizing but it sounds plausible, even if its for some distilleries and not others

This sounds pretty accurate to what I've been hearing locally as well.

Most of the stores don't even care anymore when it comes to legacy brand single barrels,  because it all sells out within hours, and there is no investment on their part with time or $ spent to actually pick a barrel.

There is very little incentive on their part to put any effort into it, because the reward is just a flock of people flooding the store to buy it all and bother the employees.

If I was managing a liquor store I can't say that I wouldn't just go this route myself.  Zero effort invested and you buy and sell out of an entire barrel at a profit immediately.  What is there to loose?  If anyone actually does comment on how the barrel is "just ok" or "not that great", the store can simply make excuses about the current market, demand for barrels, distillery not offering great barrels anymore, etc. etc. etc.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

Either distributor picked from samples (or in person since it appears they are in KY) or they took what was sent. Both things happen. In person picks are still being done however.

• I like it 3

56 minutes ago, 0895 said:

This sounds pretty accurate to what I've been hearing locally as well.

Most of the stores don't even care anymore when it comes to legacy brand single barrels,  because it all sells out within hours, and there is no investment on their part with time or $ spent to actually pick a barrel.

There is very little incentive on their part to put any effort into it, because the reward is just a flock of people flooding the store to buy it all and bother the employees.

If I was managing a liquor store I can't say that I wouldn't just go this route myself.  Zero effort invested and you buy and sell out of an entire barrel at a profit immediately.  What is there to loose?  If anyone actually does comment on how the barrel is "just ok" or "not that great", the store can simply make excuses about the current market, demand for barrels, distillery not offering great barrels anymore, etc. etc. etc.

Some stores definitely don't care - especially the Total Wines of the world. The independents who really care about about their barrel picking reputations will still go in person.

• I like it 4

On 1/7/2023 at 2:35 PM, 0895 said:

Just a guess though.

That's exactly what my wife said.

I can't grasp splitting a barrel between Kentucky and California, maybe between South Dakota and Pennsylvania or Georgia and Washington, but not Kentucky and California 😄

36 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

I can't grasp splitting a barrel between Kentucky and California, maybe between South Dakota and Pennsylvania or Georgia and Washington, but not Kentucky and California 😄

Funny you mention it, but I once had a 4R barrel pick that was split between a wine store in CA and Toddy’s liquor in Bardstown, KY.

I mail ordered it from CA.  Was surprised to see both stores listed on the label.

🤷🏻‍♂️

There is a convenience store near LAX that I like to pop into from time to time. It’s like a bazaar of crazy shit. If you need to pick up a leaf blower, jewelry, kite, incense, small boat, or a bottle of Pappy, they have you covered. 

I’ve picked up store picks from random out of state liquor stores.  I often wonder what goes on in the back of the store but I leave that to my imagination. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Funny you mention it, but I once had a 4R barrel pick that was split between a wine store in CA and Toddy’s liquor in Bardstown, KY.

I mail ordered it from CA.  Was surprised to see both stores listed on the label.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe Kentucky liquor stores serve as a sort of proxy with California stores, ... i.e. the local Kentucky store does the picking in order to save the west coast stores the time and expense?  I dunno, just shooting from the hip.

• I like it 1

There are less and less single barrel picks available from most of the large distilleries. Some have cut out their distillery tour/picks. I work exclusively with B-F brands. OF is highly allocated and picks can be scheduled at the distillery or in market. Woodford does a limited number of distillery picks where you do your own two barrel blend. They also do a limited number of virtual picks with Chris Morris or Elizabeth McCall where you do your own two barrel blend. No Double Oaked barrels available. JD is now limited but you can do distillery picks or in market picks. 

It is my experience that customers are still looking for store picks and will travel for certain brands like Old Forester. Store picks still generally sell at a much faster pace than regular shelf stock. 

I am seeing many of the smaller, "craft" distillers offering single barrels now since there is a void left by the legacy distillers.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

There are less and less single barrel picks available from most of the large distilleries. Some have cut out their distillery tour/picks. I work exclusively with B-F brands. OF is highly allocated and picks can be scheduled at the distillery or in market. Woodford does a limited number of distillery picks where you do your own two barrel blend. They also do a limited number of virtual picks with Chris Morris or Elizabeth McCall where you do your own two barrel blend. No Double Oaked barrels available. JD is now limited but you can do distillery picks or in market picks. 

It is my experience that customers are still looking for store picks and will travel for certain brands like Old Forester. Store picks still generally sell at a much faster pace than regular shelf stock. 

I am seeing many of the smaller, "craft" distillers offering single barrels now since there is a void left by the legacy distillers.

Some have definitely cut back, such as Four Roses. Others (Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace) are definitely or supposedly making changes to theirs this year. I hope they are able to expand the programs when all the new capacity the industry is building comes online. But barrel picks are definitely a great brand-building avenue for craft and NDP outfits.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.