JB 12y Signature Craft & WT Austin Nichols 8y

Anwalt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Headed to France in early March.

Seeing the JB for $50 to $60 USD or so, pretty common, 700 ml.  Worth buying at that price?  I saw some good comments on it here, never tried it.

Seeing the WT for around $85 on auction sites (all in, shipping, etc.).  Seems a little pricey, not sure about that.  Good comments here, but probably at a far, far lower price point "back when".

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Seeing the JB for $50 to $60 USD or so, pretty common, 700 ml.  Worth buying at that price?  I saw some good comments on it here, never tried it.

Seeing the WT for around $85 on auction sites (all in, shipping, etc.).  Seems a little pricey, not sure about that.  Good comments here, but probably at a far, far lower price point "back when".

If the WT 8 was a 12, I'd say certainly a buy.   For the ask, at 8-years, I'd skip it probably.   

The JB Signature Craft was underwhelming to my taste buddies; but, I only tried two different ones.   May be some variability there.   I thought so.    If a taste could be had prior to purchase, that could seal the deal... or make it a pass.

Good Luck.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Anwalt said:

If the WT Austin Nichols 8yr export is the most recent label, no its not worth it at all.  I enjoy the current domestic NAS WT101 every bit as much as European 8yr, in fact I prefer the domestic.  OTOH I love the AN label so I certainly get the allure.  They really need to bring back the old AN style label because that's what a bottle of Wild Turkey should look like.

If by chance (not likely at all) the 8yr is the dusty label with the bird looking right at you, well that's classic and of course an automatic buy.

I haven't tried the Beam 12yr Signature Craft that you mention so I don't know.  However I really enjoy some of the 11yr Signature Craft "Harvest" series, which is different with more experimental mash bills.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

If the WT Austin Nichols 8yr export is the most recent label, no its not worth it at all.  I enjoy the current domestic NAS WT101 every bit as much as European 8yr, in fact I prefer the domestic.  OTOH I love the AN label so I certainly get the allure.  They really need to bring back the old AN style label because that's what a bottle of Wild Turkey should look like.

If by chance (not likely at all) the 8yr is the dusty label with the bird looking right at you, well that's classic and of course an automatic buy.

Thanks for the info.  One boid is looking at me, the other one ain't.  

WT8.jpeg

WT8B.jpeg

Dis boid ain't making eye contact either.  Does the faded label mean "UV, run away!  Run away!"?

WT8C.jpeg

Edited by Anwalt

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Thanks for the info.  One boid is looking at me, the other one ain't.  

Yeah but most folks want the 101 proof, that one looks like 86.8 proof

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Dis boid ain't making eye contact either.  Does the faded label mean "UV, run away!  Run away!"?

Yeah if that is a pic of the actual bottle I would avoid it due to UV exposure.

Note:  all this is hypothetical and speaking in generalities because I think we don't discuss actual things of this nature on SB 🙊 🤫 😉

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yeah but most folks want the 101 proof, that one looks like 86.8 proof

Important detail.  Thanks!

And I do intend to drink 'em.  Well, most of them.  You guys talk about how bourbon used to be.  Wouldn't mind trying some.  

I also get the Hunter's Thrill from having gotten (my definition of, YMMV) a good deal.  Just tastes better, somehow.

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Note:  all this is hypothetical and speaking in generalities because I think we don't discuss actual things of this nature on SB 🙊 🤫 😉

Mum's the word!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.