Sazerac Co Shakes Up U.S. Distribution

markandrex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

From a friend of mine that has reliable connections.
Sazerac is making the earth shake for RNDC. Moving the entire Buffalo Trace line over to small independent distributors. 25 or more separate companies get a shot at pappy etc. 

Sazerac will also take control of distribution in  8 ABC states

5 hours ago, Obree said:

What are the implications of that? 

Well, I can suppose at least one 'implication'...

Whatever 'small independent distributor' is ordained to carry the BT/Pappy/BTAC lines would instantly have a rapt following, and some rather bigger "street cred" I imagine. 

If any of them remained honest, fair, impartial and above kickbacks or coercion that would REALLY be something.   Just my own opinion, of course.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Well, I can suppose at least one 'implication'...

Whatever 'small independent distributor' is ordained to carry the BT/Pappy/BTAC lines would instantly have a rapt following, and some rather bigger "street cred" I imagine. 

If any of them remained honest, fair, impartial and above kickbacks or coercion that would REALLY be something.   Just my own opinion, of course.

Thanks! Any thoughts on pricing?

Just now, Obree said:

Thanks! Any thoughts on pricing?

I think you can count on NO Bargains anywhere, ever.   Again, merely my opinion.

• I like it 2

The distributor here who got it is primarily a beer distributor. I did a quick scroll through their massive list and only saw one other spirits company and it's a small craft distillery here in town.

The early speculation is that they won't want to mess around too much with the little guys and that it will mostly go to the big box stores. My local didn't even get a full set of each.

• I like it 2

I think it may not be so good for small  local stores trying to compete with the larger chains. For me, I get all my LEs from a small family owned store with two locations. Even though Binnys takes the vast majority of LE allocations in Illinois, my local store still gets LE allocations due to decades of relationships with their distributors. I fear going forward, the new distributors will have no incentive or loyalty to the small liquor stores and will just bend the knee to Binnys and other huge retailers. Needless to say, it’s impossible to get an LE from Binnys, so I’m anticipating my connection may dry up. 

• I like it 2

I had heard someplace that at one time Bill Cosby was Binny’s #1 recipient of allocated LE bourbons.  

They didn’t go with all small distributors. Moved some territories to Breakthru which is a large spirits distributor. Also looking to set up their own “brokerages” in some control jurisdictions, although I don’t understand how that is legally compatible with the three tier system. 

I expect it is all about more money or control in some way for Sazerac. How it gives them more control I don't have a clue. But you can bet they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart to give other distributors a piece of the Pappy/BTAC pie. Sazerac is getting some kind of benefit from it.

In Georgia Pappy/BTAC allocation has (or was, I have been out of the game for awhile now) split between at least two different distributors for a long time.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to know the whole story on this one. It appears they don’t mind having a public fight. Let’s withhold paying invoices. Well then, we are going to bring to light the tie ins. 

Edited by MM818

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.