Random notes on my First Dry January

IamMatt

First time doing Dry January since "getting into" bourbon in 2019 and drinking some most nights.

--I noticed the first couple of days were hard because I had to break the "habit" of having a drink at the end of the day.  After that it was no big deal, no cravings or whatever.  But then the last few days leading up to today were hard because I knew I would soon be enjoying bourbon again.  Different from when I quit smoking 40-plus years ago, when the goal was to quit for good and each smokeless day was a building block.

--I lost 4-5 pounds.  Don't know if it was solely from not drinking but a friend told me this morning that she also lost several pounds during her Dry January.  Both of us are pretty slender to begin with (I am 6 feet-ish and went from around 180 to around 175, about what I weighed in college).  I'll have to see if the weight comes back in the next month or two.

--Nothing else changed much.  I didn't notice any change in my energy, concentration, sleep patterns, eating, etc.

--Looking for ways to break my bourbon fast with a nice night out, I found out that 'Whiskey Wednesday" is apparently a thing, like "Taco Tuesday."  Quite a few places have whiskey specials on Wednesdays.  Cool.

• I like it 6

I've never tried (nor seen the wisdom of) "Dry January"; but, I do understand folx who want to try it.   Maybe to prove they can 'do without'....

I've radically curtailed my own Bourbon consumption, having gone a month or so on a few occasions drinking zero, without really defining a particular time frame.   Most weex I have one or two pours now.    Health reasons have been at the core of this limited consumption, I'm afraid.     

As to weight gain with drinking (or correspondent loss without) I'm told some folx metabolism is slowed by regular consumption of alcoholic beverages.   This may or may not be true for all; but, could be part of the explanation for weight loss during/after a 'dry' period.

• I like it 2

I used to honor Dry February only because it has the fewest days. Super Bowl weekend was tough since I was totally alcohol free-no beer either. Back when I was a proud over consumer for a long period it ended with a humbling whimper, and a six month hiatus.  Now like Rich I don't take a month off because I've greatly reduced my intake and enjoy a drink or two once or twice a week, mainly due to health.   

• I like it 1

I practice dry breakfast and lunch.  OK, and some nights dry dinner.  That should count for something.  

I do believe alcohol will pack on the pounds.  Maybe it slows your metabolism.  I dunno.  I have yet to drink then run a marathon.  Similarly, I have yet to run a marathon then drink.  Actually, I have yet to run a marathon.  But, I have drank.  

I used to be slender.  Now I am slender +.  Not fat but not skinny.  At 61, I am still trying to figure out my ideal weight and drinking habit.  Obviously, as with much in life, both remain a mystery to me.  

My body is like the Mystery Machine.

mysterymachine1-1587130271.jpg.763321d299aeb0e06dd166811565c766.jpg

• I like it 7

I'm doing Dry February, been wanting to take a break for a while and curious if/how it will affect my health.

• 10 months later...

BUMP for 2024!  Was going to report that my Dry January 2024 lasted until 10:45 AM ET today.  THEN I noticed the date stamp on my PC screen wh8ch indicates I did NOT sleep through New Year's Eve 31 DEC 2023 which IS today.  I thought I'd done well this AM lastng those three waking hours.  Going to have to start ALL OVER tomorrow.  DARN!:huh:

• I like it 3

I've decided to give up watching football during Lent instead.

• I like it 4

1 minute ago, PaulO said:

Your taste buds are cheering. 

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

My man! Brilliant, I will join you.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

Saw Steve's comment on joining you.  I., too, will join you as soon as "Pitchers and Catchers Report" gets here.  Five weeks???  Watch for me; I'll be wearing my Wash Nats shirt.:wacko:

On thread, my dry JAN lasted until 5PM WT if we talking bourbon (a VOB 100 I found while cleaning out the utility room got me).  If beer counts, I made it to 2 PM. 

• I like it 1

We stopped in a new local brew pub today.

Beer doesn't really count as alcohol...right?????

20240101_134542.thumb.jpg.5c77b9bdbb2178e239a5513a6863ccff.jpg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 1:19 AM, PaulO said:

I'll give up watching live football during Lent.

3 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

I'll give up watching live football during Lent.

HEEHEEHEE!!!  🤣🤣🤣.  

In defense of dry January - In early 2022 and again in mid-2023, docs made me stop drinking alcohol while I was on some meds.  I complied.  Post-meds, I eased back in.  I discovered that I could again TASTE and enjoy 80 proofers neat at least for awhile.  I also notice that, when my palate is "off", giving up bourbon for a couple days resets it.  ASIDE - Maybe this ought to go under "pro tips".B)

• I like it 3

Currently doing Dry Jan. It's never been hard form me. I do sleep better for sure LOL . Normally I only drink Friday-Sunday . Tough watching football without thats for sure !