All About the Benjamin

Thomm
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here's a nice Friday afternoon diversion that may cause you to put on your thinking caps. I overheard a cell phone conversation this afternoon in a local liquor store.  I have no idea of the occasion being celebrated, but it seems a certain group of friends were planning to get together and purchase a basket containing some bourbon for another friend.  The approximate price of this gift was to be $100. 

My first thought was, "Get out of here immediately and find a store that has reasonable prices."  Despite my sarcastic editorializing (really, though. OF 1920 for $75?), the situation does present some ponderous noggin-calisthenics. 

Here's the scenario:  you are the errand boy.  You may fill your gift basket with as many or as few bottles as you wish, but they must come to approximately $100. I will not quibble about taxes.  Disregard them for this exercise. Because I didn't know anything at all about the recipient, you don't either.  

I'm grabbing a handle of WT101@ $30 after a generous $6 Campari rebate, a FR SiB for $40, and an OF 100 for $26. 

What say you?  I say I got 4 bucks left over.  Hit me with your best basket. 

• I like it 1

This is always a fun topic.  I remember playing this when I first got interested in fine sipping bourbons and my gateway internet source back then was Jason at Sour Mash Manifesto.  My $100 went a lot farther when I could include EC12yr for $27 and Booker's for $45, haha.

It's fun going back and re-reading old sources..

Sharing some old links in case anybody's interested:

https://modernthirst.com/2015/04/30/if-i-had-a-benjamin-9-jason-of-sour-mash-manifesto/

https://modernthirst.com/2015/04/29/if-i-had-a-benjamin-post-central/

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

My 2023 version would probably be something like this.  (I'll keep it to all 750ml sizes for uniformity and not including sales tax)

WT101 $20

KC9       $29

4RSiB    $42

That puts my basket at $91 so 9 bucks left over and includes everything I can't live without.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 4

VaG 375 ml $6.50 (to taste a good bottom shelfer) Saz/BT thru ASBowman

EWW 750 ml  $20 (to taste a solid BIB) HH

WT 101 750 $27 WT

4R YL 750 $20 4R

MM 46 750 $24 (wheated)

$97.50

Hit most of the majors and includes high rye SBW and wheated SBW.  I left off OGD BIB on purpose.  No need to encourage competition with MY buying habits. B)

• I like it 4

And if I'm actually putting a gift basket together for someone I don't know and don't know what their preferences are, I'm opting for something a bit nicer and I'll sacrifice variety.  Maybe something they might not have tried before, plus I'll cover opposite extremes, with one high-rye spicy bourbon and one nice wheater:

4R SmB Select $54

MM101            $35

That was fun.

• I like it 3

55 minutes ago, Kepler said:

My 2023 version would probably be something like this.  (I'll keep it to all 750ml sizes for uniformity and not including sales tax)

WT101 $20

KC9       $29

4RSiB    $42

That puts my basket at $91 so 9 bucks left over and includes everything I can't live without.

This tends to be my line of thinking, also. If the recipient is a rookie, he/she would taste this trio & think "bourbon is good!"

Whatever, you need to make the math work, subbing in a MM101 or a 4R SB wouldn't hurt one way or another...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

Here's a nice Friday afternoon diversion that may cause you to put on your thinking caps. I overheard a cell phone conversation this afternoon in a local liquor store.  I have no idea of the occasion being celebrated, but it seems a certain group of friends were planning to get together and purchase a basket containing some bourbon for another friend.  The approximate price of this gift was to be $100. 

My first thought was, "Get out of here immediately and find a store that has reasonable prices."  Despite my sarcastic editorializing (really, though. OF 1920 for $75?), the situation does present some ponderous noggin-calisthenics. 

Here's the scenario:  you are the errand boy.  You may fill your gift basket with as many or as few bottles as you wish, but they must come to approximately $100. I will not quibble about taxes.  Disregard them for this exercise. Because I didn't know anything at all about the recipient, you don't either.  

I'm grabbing a handle of WT101@ $30 after a generous $6 Campari rebate, a FR SiB for $40, and an OF 100 for $26. 

What say you?  I say I got 4 bucks left over.  Hit me with your best basket. 

If taxes not considered for the exercise, then rebates shouldn’t either.  Yes, this is Wade, and I have hacked Smokinjoe’s account…. LOL!!

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WT 101 750 $27 WT

4R YL 750 $20 4R

MM 46 750 $24 (wheated)

$97.50

Hit most of the majors and includes high rye SBW and wheated SBW.  I left off OGD BIB on purpose.  No need to encourage competition with MY buying habits. B)

Looks pretty comprehensive.  Your basket would look like a bourbon jackpot, indeed. In my area, the MM 46 would set me back a good 8 bucks more than you, but I guess I could shrink the handle of Turkey to a 750.  

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

This is always a fun topic.  I remember playing this when I first got interested in fine sipping bourbons and my gateway internet source back then was Jason at Sour Mash Manifesto.  My $100 went a lot farther when I could include EC12yr for $27 and Booker's for $45, haha.

It's fun going back and re-reading old sources..

Sharing some old links in case anybody's interested:

https://modernthirst.com/2015/04/30/if-i-had-a-benjamin-9-jason-of-sour-mash-manifesto/

https://modernthirst.com/2015/04/29/if-i-had-a-benjamin-post-central/

Thanks for the resource.  Guess this shows how new I am to this. I honestly had no idea this was such a retread of an idea. I have to say, with all the OGD 114 love dating back to 2015 (and perhaps beyond), it is indeed surprising the stuff hasn't become impossible to find by now.  

• I like it 1

Gosh, I would love to get stuff at some of the low prices I'm seeing listed, but here goes for my neck of the woods:

WSR 30$

RRSiB 70$ 

small basket

• I like it 4

OK, I'll put together a basket that hopefully would please either a novice or an experienced bourbon drinker:

Four Roses Small Batch $31
Maker's Mark $22
Evan Williams 1783 $19
Knob Creek 9 yr. $30

Yeah, that does come out to $102, but the OP did say "approximately $100", after all!

• I like it 4

On 2/11/2023 at 12:35 AM, Swamp55 said:

OK, I'll put together a basket that hopefully would please either a novice or an experienced bourbon drinker:

Four Roses Small Batch $31
Maker's Mark $22
Evan Williams 1783 $19
Knob Creek 9 yr. $30

Yeah, that does come out to $102, but the OP did say "approximately $100", after all!

Very solid list.  That could have been my own!

• I like it 1

On 2/10/2023 at 5:16 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

WT 101 750 $27 WT

4R YL 750 $20 4R

MM 46 750 $24 (wheated)

$97.50

I should have disclosed my source - Virginia ABC price listing, and even the rural store I sometimes visit almost always carries them all.  Used Va ABC because it has a "better" search function than the websites of those DC stores even having a website.

My guess is the gift giver was looking for a single bottle.  Lots of options for $100 or less.  I would be more than happy to recommend Four Roses Small Batch Select.  

If looking at spending the entire $100, they could add a bottle of WT101.

I was in a store today when a lady was with her daughter.  She asked her daughter what her father was looking for.  They finally called him. I asked what he wanted.  She said Bulleit.  I pointed her to where it was on the shelf.  I didn't try to sell her on anything.  Her husband said Bulleit.  I then heard her on the phone asking it he wanted bourbon or rye.  😀  A single bottle is ok even if it is significantly less than budgeted.  

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the basket I'd put together:

1.  1792 Small Batch - $28

2.   RR10 - $32

3.   Smooth Ambler Old Scout - $35

That leaves 5 bucks for a bag of pretzels.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.