BT tour question about gift shop bottles

Hiker Hawk

I am traveling to Kentucky next month to visit some distilleries and have tour tickets at Buffalo Trace.   I saw in another post in this forum that sometimes they set aside bottles that the gift shop has available that day for people on their tours to buy.   Is that something that is still being done or is it hit and miss?   I am not a fan of standing in line for bottles.   Thanks. 

I can’t speak to what is happening currently, but 18 months ago, I went on a BT tour with tasting and the day I was there, Blantons was the allocated bottle they were putting out. They had some on a table in the back of the tasting room but we still had to go downstairs to the gift shop and stand in line to pay for them. The line was pretty long but moved relatively quick. I also noticed plenty on the shelves in the gift shop. One per person and they scan licenses.

Thanks for the feedback.   I’m sure this will be way different than when I last visited in 2016.  

I wouldn't count on whatever the allocated bottle of the day is being available to you in the tasting room after your tour. It DOES happen but it seems inconsistent at best. Depending on your tour time I would show up early in the morning at least 1/2 hour before opening. They have a separate line for those with tours that get to go in early to the gift shop and get their bottles first. Stash it in your car and head back in for your tour. This is all assuming you have a tour that starts before noon and you really want the allocated bottle of the day..ER10, WSR, Blanton's, EHTSmB on random rotation.  One of each bottle per 90 days per person. They recently removed Baby Saz from the allocation and treat it like regular BT and Bourbon Cream now. You can buy one of those per person per day. When they run out for the day, they run out. 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 1

On 2/14/2023 at 5:07 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

We have a Joe sighting! 😀 I've been missing our resident Weller Whore.  Come on back Joe!

Edited by Kepler
I misspelled "Joe" ... maybe I need to stop drinking :-)

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

We have a Joe sighting! 😀 I've been missing our resident Weller Whore.  Come on back Joe!

@Fishnbowljoe, I have to echo this statement.
I have missed your posts, humor and knowledge. I hope you are well. 

Cheers

• 6 months later...

This changed in July 2023. Now guests can purchase two bottles of Buffalo Trace, one bottle of Sazerac and one bottle of the allocated whiskey of the day.  No allocated bottles are held back for tour participants like was done before. This has led to long lines of people coming by the gift shop as it opens to scoop up the allocated bottle of the day.  Somewhere between 1200 and 1400 every day the allocated bottles sell out.  Oh, and Buffalo Trace puts a wristband on each visitor that is scanned as your purchase to keep you from buying more than your daily limit.

• I like it 2

On 8/20/2023 at 4:46 PM, MJL said:

This changed in July 2023. Now guests can purchase two bottles of Buffalo Trace, one bottle of Sazerac and one bottle of the allocated whiskey of the day.  No allocated bottles are held back for tour participants like was done before. This has led to long lines of people coming by the gift shop as it opens to scoop up the allocated bottle of the day.  Somewhere between 1200 and 1400 every day the allocated bottles sell out.  Oh, and Buffalo Trace puts a wristband on each visitor that is scanned as your purchase to keep you from buying more than your daily limit.

The change(s) you posted above aren’t permanent. At least not yet. Straight from the buffaloes mouth…  🦬   🦬   🦬

“Happy to provide some clarity on the post you shared!  Our website does currently state that Buffalo Trace Bourbon is limited to one bottle per person per day.  We’ve recently seen an increase in our gift shop allocation that has allowed us to test out offering two bottles per person.  So the information in the post is somewhat true, but I would not necessarily consider it a permanent change or a guarantee, which is why the website still states that the limit is one.” 

“As far as holding bottles back for tours is concerned- we’ve made some adjustments and now offer a voucher to folks who are out on a tour when the gift shop sells out of the allocated bottle of the day so that they don’t have to choose between doing their tour or making a purchase.  We have not seen a correlation between that process and the size of the line in the mornings. Our overall visitation continues to grow significantly year over year.  We’re expecting over 600,000 guests this year!  The number of bottles available to purchase per day fluctuates, and is not shared publicly.”

• I like it 2