Bourbon Trail completed - all 42 distilleries

Jackless

Started in July and completed in November 2022. A couple don’t offer tours, but if they did, I took the tour. Not just a visit for a stamp or a tasting.

There are some to avoid unless you want to complete the tour, and some that shouldn’t be missed.

if anyone has any questions about a particular distillery let me know.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Jackless said:

Started in July and completed in November 2022. A couple don’t offer tours, but if they did, I took the tour. Not just a visit for a stamp or a tasting.

There are some to avoid unless you want to complete the tour, and some that shouldn’t be missed.

if anyone has any questions about a particular distillery let me know.

If you ever get a chance to compose and post notes (or even a "drive-by" vs. "stop and visit" list), that'd be most excellent.

• 4 months later...

Now that I have done Buffalo Trace, I am now planning my next trip.  Any recommendations for my next distillery visit.  I was thinking WT but I believe they are doing some renovations.  

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Now that I have done Buffalo Trace, I am now planning my next trip.  Any recommendations for my next distillery visit.  I was thinking WT but I believe they are doing some renovations.  

It's been awhile since I've been but I consider Maker's Mark the #1 must-see Kentucky distillery. 

I second the Maker’s recommendation.  👍🏻 It’s informative, they have a nice tasting and top quality merch for sell, and it is drop dead gorgeous.  I’ve been probably 6 times, and would go back another 6.  

• I like it 2

On 7/2/2023 at 8:49 PM, Kepler said:

It's been awhile since I've been but I consider Maker's Mark the #1 must-see Kentucky distillery. 

I can't disagree, especially for scenic and historic value.   The place is simply gorgeous!    Plus, they tell a very nice story... and as Joe pointed out their gift shop has a lot of attractive 'souvenirs' wearables, bottles, and, etc.     

I haven't been in about 5-years.   Gotta correct that!

58 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I can't disagree, especially for scenic and historic value.   The place is simply gorgeous!    Plus, they tell a very nice story... and as Joe pointed out their gift shop has a lot of attractive 'souvenirs' wearables, bottles, and, etc.     

I haven't been in about 5-years.   Gotta correct that!

Me too!  And y'all are right - they might have the best gift shop (at least they did back when I was going to Kentucky every year)

• I like it 1

On 7/2/2023 at 6:35 PM, StarSurfer55 said:

I’m with those that suggested Maker’s Mark. When people look for suggestions for distillery tours, I suggest BT and MM, because they are at both ends of the spectrum. BT has that industrial complex feel to it, and is more nuts and bolts. MM may have a bit of a “fluff” story, but it’s still interesting, and like others have said, the place is absolutely beautiful. FWIW, my first tour there was way back in 1991.  They didn’t have tastings back then because of the laws and it being in a dry county. The only thing with bourbon in it you could taste or buy was the MM bourbon balls. 😁 

• I like it 3

I agree wholeheartedly with the MM comments. In keeping with the "beautiful grounds" theme, don't overlook Woodford Reserve. While I'm not a big fan of their bourbon, (I do like the rye), the property is gorgeous.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 4

On 7/4/2023 at 4:29 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m with those that suggested Maker’s Mark. When people look for suggestions for distillery tours, I suggest BT and MM, because they are at both ends of the spectrum. BT has that industrial complex feel to it, and is more nuts and bolts. MM may have a bit of a “fluff” story, but it’s still interesting, and like others have said, the place is absolutely beautiful. FWIW, my first tour there was way back in 1991.  They didn’t have tastings back then because of the laws and it being in a dry county. The only thing with bourbon in it you could taste or buy was the MM bourbon balls. 😁 

To piggyback on this.....we did the "Hard Hat" tour at BT.  It was one of the first tours that we took, on our first trip to KY, and it was fantastic.   It's all behind-the-scenes, and you see a ton more stuff than the standard tour.   It was, and still is, one of the best tours and we toured a lot of distilleries over the course of our two visits to KY.   I can highly recommend it.

• I like it 2

On 7/8/2023 at 9:48 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with the MM comments. In keeping with the "beautiful grounds" theme, don't overlook Woodford Reserve. While I'm not a big fan of their bourbon, (I do like the rye), the property is gorgeous.

...And the slow, sedate drive on those narrow roads among the horse pastures in that part of Kentucky are about as picturesque as the Bluegrass gets.   'Getting there' really is a nice part of that experience.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

...And the slow, sedate drive on those narrow roads among the horse pastures in that part of Kentucky are about as picturesque as the Bluegrass gets.   'Getting there' really is a nice part of that experience.

Amen!