Rock Hill Farms . . . one more time!

Kyjd75

Haven't seen RHF in years,  and my life hasn't diminished one bit.    Buffalo Trace's promotion/encouragement of artificial scarcity leaves me cold,  and has long turned me off of the company and its products.  

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Haven't seen RHF in years,  and my life hasn't diminished one bit.    Buffalo Trace's promotion/encouragement of artificial scarcity leaves me cold,  and has long turned me off of the company and its products.  

Indeed, I used to buy some of their products, not anymore.

I have a contact with a new bottle of RHF in the back but he is stuck at $300.00 for it. The more I hear how unobtainable it is the more I am tempted but I just don’t think I can go that much over MSRP…. I did offer $200 but he won’t budge. I can get Blanton's for a reasonable deal so just can’t justify it. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Jam said:

I have a contact with a new bottle of RHF in the back but he is stuck at $300.00 for it. The more I hear how unobtainable it is the more I am tempted but I just don’t think I can go that much over MSRP…. I did offer $200 but he won’t budge. I can get Blanton's for a reasonable deal so just can’t justify it. 

Not worth it.  I get the appeal of trying something scarce but if had to pay more than $60, I would just opt for WT RB or 2 bottles of WT101.

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Jam said:

No way I'd pay that much for a bottle of it.  Back when it cost $50, I bought and consumed several.  But even at $50, it's a bit of a reach, for what it is.  Maybe you can find a bar pour somewhere, just to try it.

For $50, you could get something like WT Rare Breed or Old Forester 1920, or something else.

At some point in time it started, this mass hysteria concerning several brands out of Frankfort.  It's like the fable The Emperor's New Clothes.

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, Jam said:

As much as I like RHF, there is no way I'm paying $300 for a bottle when there are so many other excellent bourbons out there at lower cost and better availability.  

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Jam said:

Let me offer a different perspective.  If you don't buy it and don't get another opportunity, you'll probably be thinking 'what if' for years.  $300 isn't going to change your life and having a rare bottle can provide a lot of pleasure.  Heck, going out to dinner at a nice restaurant can cost more than that.  I paid $430 and $250 for Van Winkle rye and GTS respectively and both times felt I was overpaying.  But I don't regret buying them and feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to enjoy and share a rare treat with friends, family and loved ones.  Would I pay those prices for a second bottle?  No.  They were a one time bucket list splurge but I feel that it's important to treat yourself once in a while.  I'm not wealthy and generally live a pretty frugal lifestyle.  But, to quote Oscar Wilde, "everything in moderation, including moderation".  Cheers! 

• I like it 6

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

Let me offer a different perspective.  If you don't buy it and don't get another opportunity, you'll probably be thinking 'what if' for years.  $300 isn't going to change your life and having a rare bottle can provide a lot of pleasure.  Heck, going out to dinner at a nice restaurant can cost more than that.  I paid $430 and $250 for Van Winkle rye and GTS respectively and both times felt I was overpaying.  But I don't regret buying them and feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to enjoy and share a rare treat with friends, family and loved ones.  Would I pay those prices for a second bottle?  No.  They were a one time bucket list splurge but I feel that it's important to treat yourself once in a while.  I'm not wealthy and generally live a pretty frugal lifestyle.  But, to quote Oscar Wilde, "everything in moderation, including moderation".  Cheers! 

Yes I certainly understand that prospective too. Coming from the scotch world where a daily sipper is a hundred up easily and anything special is $300 up the bourbon prices don’t surprise me as they do the guys use to paying $40 for top shelf. My thoughts on rare hard to acquire bottles  is not only for my enjoyment but that’s the stuff that’s fun to share with friends and everyone gets to enjoy something they may not see again. I like your logic! 

Edited by Jam

9 hours ago, fosmith said:

Can't disagree with this.  We each approach our bourbon journey from different perspectives and different starting points.  Good perspective in @fosmith reply.  While many may have one perspective, each of us have our own unique circumstances.  Sometimes you have to step outside the majority perspective and that doesn't make it wrong or a bad decision. It makes it a different approach based on your own bourbon experience and journey.

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 1:24 AM, steven s said:

I debated posting this, as I hate to be a downer, but a friend recently decided to crack his RHF he got lucky enough to get a year or 2 ago. We were both disappointed with the results.  We gave it a couple weeks after the initial tasting, and  then tried it blind against a recently-opened Blantons, which I thought fine for BT #2, but not great. The Blantons was an easy win for both of us. He is now lamenting opening the RHF bottle, as it would have made great trade bait. BT #2 seems to be good for that role. 

Follow up: We tried the RHF again tonight, this time blind against a different, newly-opened Blantons. The RHF  seemed to have improved, and was the clear winner for both of us this go-round. I guess this may say more about the 2 different bottles of Blantons than it does about the RHF...

looking forward to trying a Blantons gold and SFTB in the near future, and am wondering what a 12+ year BT #2 would be like.

Edited by steven s

• 6 months later...

Got two bottles of Blantons for my birthday in May.  Just finished the second one several weeks ago.  Was pretty disappointed with both.   Dont know if they dont age them as long or what.  Maybe my taste buds are dying, but they just didnt have any pop to them.  Very bland.  Elijah Craig or Wild Turkey 101 or OF 100 are way better.  The times they are a changing.

• I like it 1

On 11/2/2023 at 10:58 AM, wildcatdon said:

Got two bottles of Blantons for my birthday in May.  Just finished the second one several weeks ago.  Was pretty disappointed with both.   Dont know if they dont age them as long or what.  Maybe my taste buds are dying, but they just didnt have any pop to them.  Very bland.  Elijah Craig or Wild Turkey 101 or OF 100 are way better.  The times they are a changing.

I tend to agree with your assessment.  I basically gave up on Blanton's when it hit the $50 mark.  It's only gotten crazier as things go on.

My theory is since the company is owned by Japanese, it's influenced by the tradition to give fancy gifts on certain occasions.  The wrapping and presentation is very important, as much as the gift itself.  Blanton's if you were to put it in a blind tasting is ok, nothing wrong with it, but no wow factor.  But the round bottle with the little horse on top - oh so cute.

WT 101 and OF 100 are hard to beat, better than many more expensive brands in my opinion.

• I like it 1